Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Bestop Bikini and the door surround (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/bestop-bikini-and-the-door-surround-69049.html)

glitzsfa 11-15-2010 08:07 PM

Bestop Bikini and the door surround

2000 TJ: I have read forum after forum claiming that the Bestop bikini works with the factory doors surrounds. My bikini wraps around the bar and the velcro attaches the wrap very snugly. If I install the door surrounds they go over the top bar and stick out about 3+ inches. I don't know how the bikini could ever fit around this. Am I missing something? The surrounds have a channel, but I think that is for a soft top b/c my bikini does not have any kind of channel plastic. Any ideas? Please let me know if I'm missing something.

Thanks

MCE Mike 11-15-2010 10:02 PM

Sounds like you might have a different style bikini? Mine (Bestop bikini) has plastic runners which fit into the channels on the door surrounds.

monkeee2002 11-15-2010 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glitzsfa (Post 878005)
2000 TJ: I have read forum after forum claiming that the Bestop bikini works with the factory doors surrounds. My bikini wraps around the bar and the velcro attaches the wrap very snugly. If I install the door surrounds they go over the top bar and stick out about 3+ inches. I don't know how the bikini could ever fit around this. Am I missing something? The surrounds have a channel, but I think that is for a soft top b/c my bikini does not have any kind of channel plastic. Any ideas? Please let me know if I'm missing something.

Thanks

Is your bikini top a Bestop product?
I have the MOPAR bikini top, and it attaches as you describe, and does not have the drip retainer for attaching to the door surrounds.

TJDave 11-15-2010 11:28 PM

Like Mike's, my Bestop safari top has both a velcro sport bar attatchment, and runners for attatching to a door surround. Before I bought a soft top and door surrounds, I just used the velcro. Works fine, until it rained. Then water poured on the inside of the doors.:mad: Now with the surrounds holding the Safari top, it is much tighter, and I stay dry if it rains.....that is assuming I have my full doors with me!

jp2611 11-15-2010 11:38 PM

Gotta have the plastic channels for the surrounds-works great that way. Didn't know Best top made a bikini top without them.

It attaches the same way on the sides as a full soft top.but also has velcro small straps by the "A" pillars.

Jon M 11-16-2010 09:06 AM

If you are not worried about the rain take a look at Spiderwebshade.com. Just got a shade cage and love it!!!

glitzsfa 11-19-2010 05:03 PM

Yes it is a Bestop product. Perhaps I should have looked a bit closer. The outer Velcro piece has the hard plastic backing which is made to go in the channels. I put the surrounds on and used the backing, now it fits perfectly snug!!! Thanks for the help and thanks for making me look closer!