Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Get more flex... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/get-more-flex-69115.html)

08_Sahara16 11-16-2010 10:08 AM

Get more flex...

I was just wondering what I can do to get my flex out of my 2008 Wrangler Sahara. Stock, 32" Dueler A/T's
I'm new into the technical side of off-roading so I don't really know anything about this. What would diconnecting the sway bars do for me? I'd rather not spend any money as I have none to spend.
So, what can I do without spending ANY money to get more flex out of my Sahara JK?

A how-to, tutorial, or any pictures to help me look for exactly what I need to disconnect would be great. Best thing would be is a tutorial with pictures.

thaduke2003 11-16-2010 10:19 AM

Disconnecting the sway bars allows a whole lot more wheel articulation by allowing the axle to cycle much further in its range. If you don't want to spend any, you'll need a pair of wrenches (17 I think- I forget which- haven't had stock links in a WHILE :)) to remove the axle end of your end links. Then, a zip tie or two to tie them up and out of the way.

Beyond that, there's not much you can do for flex. One thing you could do on the cheap is get rid of the 18" wheels on the Sahara. Swap in a set of OEM 17's, and you'll be better off right out of the box- more tire=more sidewall, which means more pliability when aired down. Not to mention, replacement 18" tires are MUCH more $$ than replacement 17" tires- Mark W.

08_Sahara16 11-16-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaduke2003 (Post 879124)
Disconnecting the sway bars allows a whole lot more wheel articulation by allowing the axle to cycle much further in its range. If you don't want to spend any, you'll need a pair of wrenches (17 I think- I forget which- haven't had stock links in a WHILE :)) to remove the axle end of your end links. Then, a zip tie or two to tie them up and out of the way.

Beyond that, there's not much you can do for flex. One thing you could do on the cheap is get rid of the 18" wheels on the Sahara. Swap in a set of OEM 17's, and you'll be better off right out of the box- more tire=more sidewall, which means more pliability when aired down. Not to mention, replacement 18" tires are MUCH more $$ than replacement 17" tires- Mark W.

Thanks for the reply.
I totally agree with you on the recommendation of 17" tires. 18" are way too expensive. I flattened a tire at Uwharrie not too long ago and it cost me $227 just to get another OEM tire. (Bridgestone Dueler A/T)

thaduke2003 11-16-2010 10:54 AM

Yikes. Another option is find a set of the OEM 16" wheels- they usually go for $150 for the wheels, or $250-300 with tires and TPMS. You can sell yours for ~$500, and use the extra towards a set of better 16" tires. Firestone Destination A/T's in 265/75/16 (just about a 32" tire) run ~$125 per from Tirerack. They're great on-road, and I haven't stopped or killed one yet (knock on wood!) on the wifey's rig off-road, even without using the rear locker. Best A/T for the price, bar none- Mark W.