Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Falken tires on Rubicon wheels?????? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/falken-tires-on-rubicon-wheels-69371.html)

Wrangler1212 11-18-2010 10:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry if this has been discussed already but I didnt find any threads on it.

I was at "discount Tire" yesterday purchasing Falken Rocky Mnt ATs, in 285-75-16s. Those tires look awesome. After 30-40 minutes of trying, the mngr said they could not get the bead to seal on the 16in Rubicon rims because the wheels have an extra large safety edge designed to keep tires on the wheel during low psi applications. The tech couldnt get that bead over the wheel's bead/edge, even at 90psi the darn thing would not pop over and seal. So,, "discount tire" made me pretty happy and offered to upgrade my tires to the Geolander ATS and they would eat the $30.00 per tire extra. I'm glad they did, cause the geolanders look and ride excellent, and have better construction. I'm impressed with just how much meat these tires have on them. They look totally different in person than they do online. Anyways. Just an fyi to anyone running Rubicon wheels, the Rocky Mnt ATs may cause you some trouble. And even if the tech fights with the tire until it finally seats, i would be worried about it's integrity and safety after all the stretching/psi required to set the bead. Anyways, heres my new geolander ATs.
later.

Sorry if this has been discussed already but I didnt find any threads on it.

I was at "discount Tire" yesterday purchasing Falken Rocky Mnt ATs, in 285-75-16s. Those tires look awesome. After 30-40 minutes of trying, the mngr said they could not get the bead to seal on the 16in Rubicon rims because the wheels have an extra large safety edge designed to keep tires on the wheel during low psi applications. The tech couldnt get that bead over the wheel's bead/edge, even at 90psi the darn thing would not pop over and seal. So,, "discount tire" made me pretty happy and offered to upgrade my tires to the Geolander ATS and they would eat the $30.00 per tire extra. I'm glad they did, cause the geolanders look and ride excellent, and have better construction. I'm impressed with just how much meat these tires have on them. They look totally different in person than they do online. Anyways. Just an fyi to anyone running Rubicon wheels, the Rocky Mnt ATs may cause you some trouble. And even if the tech fights with the tire until it finally seats, i would be worried about it's integrity and safety after all the stretching/psi required to set the bead. Anyways, heres my new geolander ATs.
later.

rubicon hobby 11-18-2010 07:48 PM

What did you pay per tire if you don't mind?

cork1958 11-18-2010 08:55 PM

Just had a set of 4 Falken tires put on my kids car at Discount Tires. Never even heard of that brand tire before actually.

They didin't have the tires I had asked for the day before my appt. there so the guy gave me a deal on the Falkens, which he didn't have one out in the show room for me to see. I asked him a few questions about the tire, especially how good were they in snow, as this will be my kid's first winter driving. He said they were vey good. After getting home I looked them over and I don't think I'm to happy about what I "think" they may be like in snow. Did some searches for user reviews on them and most people say they're pretty good, but I'm having my doubts. Kid only drives to school, which is less than a mile away and work is only about 5 miles, so praying like heck for a mild winter (always do that anyway).

Never really have liked Discount Tire, but they had the best price on the tires I originally wanted (Walmart was out of the tires I REALLY wanted, Uniroyal Liberators). Probably won't ever be going back to Discount Tires!

Sorry about the rant!!

csamn2007 11-18-2010 09:03 PM

To all seasony for my taste. Good luck with them, i hope they hold up!

AtcoTrailsINC 11-18-2010 09:14 PM

My 2000 sport came with a new set of Falken ZIEX STZ's on it. Not what i would have chosen but they do very well in deep snow and mild mud and perform good if aired down on sand lol

Wrangler1212 11-18-2010 09:28 PM

i paid $158.00 per tire for the rocky mtn ats in a 285-75-16.
they gave me the geolander ats for the same price but they were running $185.00 or so per tire. i checked the specs on the geolander and they actually measure a true 33.1in versus most 285-75s that only measure 32.6 or 32.8.