Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Grinding/rubbing noise when clutch is engaged, stops when released (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/grinding-rubbing-noise-when-clutch-is-engaged-stops-when-released-69417.html)

Case 11-18-2010 06:32 PM

Grinding/rubbing noise when clutch is engaged, stops when released

I have a 1993 wrangler 4.0. The motor and tranny were just rebuilt very recently. It also has a rebuilt 4:11 rear and had a new clutch. Not long ago I rolled it offroading, but luckily there was no serious damage. I let it sit for a couple days, changed the fluids and everything seemed fine.

A few days later it began to make rubbing/spinning noise when the clutch was engaged, but stopped when it was released. The noise got worse to the point where you could alwyas hear it, but it got worse when the clutch was engaged. I have been told that it sounds like an issue with the throwout bearing, but anything i saw about the throwout bearing said that it made the noise all the time but stops when the clutch is engaged.

Before I got into anything serious i bled it and at first the noise went away but after about 20 min it started again but was much softer. I bled it again, but the noise continued. While bleeding it, I noticed that the bleeder valve and the clutch line next to it moved side to side fairly freely. It is an internal slave, so i couldn't see if it came loose or was supposed to do that. The jeep does shift into all gears smooth and easily.

I was wondering if it was more likely to be the throwout bearing or the slave cylinder, or something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

gryph 11-18-2010 06:48 PM

Throw-out bearing

Depress clutch pedal lightly, noise goes away? release pedal noise comes back?

That's it

Case 11-18-2010 07:01 PM

It's the opposite, it doesnt make the noise unless the clutch is pressed in

sppfields 11-18-2010 07:03 PM

throw out bearing is correct, with clutch pressed in it makes contact with the pressure plate. with clutch out. it just sits there.

sppfields 11-18-2010 07:07 PM

sorry, i dint read the rest of your post. the reason you can move it freely while bleeding is that the clutch pedal is out and there is no pressure on the throwout bearing. it just sits on the transmisssion input shaft . dont worry, this is very normal. But, trust me you will be changing the throwout bearing.

Case 11-18-2010 07:08 PM

Would it be a good idea to get a whole new clutch kit?

MCE Mike 11-19-2010 12:43 AM

I would inspect the clutch while it is apart and go from there. Throw out bearings take a while to go out usually, unless they have been in a lot of water or mud. If the clutch truely was replaced not too long ago (some one didn't lie to you, etc.) then the TO bearing shouldn't go out this early, unless it is somehow a defective unit. The TO bearing should have been replaced with the clutch if it wasn't.