Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Rust on underbody - Im a girl that's clueless (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/rust-on-underbody-im-a-girl-thats-clueless-69476.html)

KLiddle 11-19-2010 10:21 AM

Rust on underbody - Im a girl that's clueless
 
I'm the dumb girl on this forum that needs input. I've read several of the threads w regard to rust. I purchased a 99 YJ Wrangler 6 mo ago. It was in the north, so the salt took it's toll. They sprayed the underbody w a gloss black paint, however I don't think it was prepped correctly. I have huge chnks of reust that fall off from different parts of the underbody. What should be my main concern? Can the gas tank rust through? Obviously i am not going to attempt to Scrape all the rust off since it is EVERYWHERE, so what am I looking at for treatment if I take it into a Jeep repair person? Approx cost? Thing is my second toy car, so I wasnt palnning on dumping alot of money in it as I drive it maybe once a week. Does rust continue to oxidize?

4Jeepn 11-19-2010 10:28 AM

Welcome, I doubt your dumb. The rust needs to pre treated. There is a great product called POR-15 on the market. This process might help you. As for cost.. I am not sure how much a shop would charge for it as it a lot of labor. You might be able to do it yourself if you have the time and space.

http://www.por15.com/

turdhurdler 11-19-2010 10:37 AM

You should not need to worry about the gas tank rusting through as it should be plastic. The skid plate is metal and may be what you are seeing some rust on. If you can post up some pics, I am sure some of the members here can help with additional info. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Jeff

beefmobile 11-19-2010 10:45 AM

'99 is a TJ...just sayin...

Peepers 11-19-2010 10:54 AM

I just took care of a rust problem on my 98 TJ. The easiest way to deal with the gas tank skid plate is to replace it. as for any rusting on the frame, I used a cheap bed liner a few years ago over the rust and needless to say it kept rusting and it all chipped and fell off. It took me about 3 weeks of half-a$$ing my way to prep and paint the frame. It could probably be done in a week or a week and a half with some help. I used Por-15 and it came out really nice.

Lariatryder 11-19-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beefmobile
'99 is a TJ...just sayin...

Lmao. I was waiting on that

4Jeepn 11-19-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beefmobile (Post 884286)
'99 is a TJ...just sayin...

just had to point that out didn't ya;) It also says YJ, so until she tells us which it is or posts a pic it stays for now... :D

aelwero 11-19-2010 11:05 AM

Can't be that dumb, You bought a Jeep ;)

yjforlife 11-19-2010 11:16 AM

use navel jelly ane u probably dont want to here this but the rust must come off it will contiinue to eat thro and then u have holes

NHrubicon 11-19-2010 11:17 AM

Chances are good if you have rust flakes that big, you have rust 'holes' starting somewhere...not just on the body but on the frame. You need to get under neath and where the worst rust flakes are-poke at the steel with a screwdriver. If you poke a hole right through-you have a problem! Means the rust has eaten all the way through and it's more than just a POR paint/rust fix job. Means some cutting and welding. If you have just rust flakes-then don't wait...find a local jeep club and see if some of the members will help you do a rust removal job...attack it with wire brushes, scrapers, get everything off you can, then do the POR job...first part is a 'stabilizer' that paints over and stops the rust in it's tracks and then you paint the POR over that. We had to replace the frame on a 94 YJ I bought it was so bad...then found the tub had so much rust holes we had to find another one...finally got it all replaced and rebuilt!
And as pointed out, a 99 is a TJ, not a YJ...

jcf 11-19-2010 11:42 AM

You aren't dumb when you simply don't know stuff & you are smart to ask so no one on here will think you are dumb :bottom:. Rust is a problem & my '99 TJ had a lot underneath, coming from Salt Lake they use salt on the roads so it didn't have a chance. I didn't worry about it to much but dpends on the extent of the rust, you will always get a bit under there anyway.The guys on here have some good idea's & if you need to ask something again they will always answer, they are great help & pic's are good too, helps a lot.

aelwero 11-19-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yjforlife (Post 884340)
use navel jelly ane u probably dont want to here this but the rust must come off it will contiinue to eat thro and then u have holes

It's Naval Jelly :) and POR -15 is WAY easier and won't eat holes in anything.

Jelly is probably overkill and it has to be washed off fairly quickly, which isn't really practical for an undercarriage... Awesome for steel boats though :)

beefmobile 11-19-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Jeepn

just had to point that out didn't ya;) It also says YJ, so until she tells us which it is or posts a pic it stays for now... :D

Lol don't worry everybody, I'll be that guy ;)

busterboy1972 11-19-2010 01:24 PM

12 posts in an hour....
 
wow....I am going to play the girl card next time I have a question...you guys are stumbling over each other the answer :) Chivalry is not dead on this forum.

jcf 11-19-2010 01:30 PM

Her naval is fine, she's asking about her rust :D

Wiegand 11-19-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aelwero (Post 884403)
It's Naval Jelly :) and POR -15 is WAY easier and won't eat holes in anything.

Jelly is probably overkill and it has to be washed off fairly quickly, which isn't really practical for an undercarriage... Awesome for steel boats though :)

I used the jelly, I forgot to wash it off though lol? Hope that isn't bad.

YJman 11-19-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcf (Post 884511)
Her naval is fine, she's asking about her rust :D

My thoughts exactly lol. But I have a girl and I am true to her :)
I'm in agreement with everyone else here. Do the POR but prep it well by taking off as much loose rust as you can. Marine Clean it then Metal prep it. Then POR it. Stuff works wonders :) And as mentioned before, find a Jeep club and ask guys to show you how it's done lol. They'll do it for free I bet :rofl:

beefmobile 11-19-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiegand (Post 884606)
I used the jelly, I forgot to wash it off though lol? Hope that isn't bad.

your Jeep will self destruct in T minus 10

jgwalt 11-20-2010 02:30 AM

Quote:

I used the jelly, I forgot to wash it off though lol? Hope that isn't bad.
I don't think he was talking about the jeep

PatriotNC 11-20-2010 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLiddle (Post 884252)
I'm the dumb girl on this forum that needs input. I've read several of the threads w regard to rust. I purchased a 99 YJ Wrangler 6 mo ago. It was in the north, so the salt took it's toll. They sprayed the underbody w a gloss black paint, however I don't think it was prepped correctly. I have huge chnks of reust that fall off from different parts of the underbody. What should be my main concern? Can the gas tank rust through? Obviously i am not going to attempt to Scrape all the rust off since it is EVERYWHERE, so what am I looking at for treatment if I take it into a Jeep repair person? Approx cost? Thing is my second toy car, so I wasnt palnning on dumping alot of money in it as I drive it maybe once a week. Does rust continue to oxidize?

Rust, otherwise called "exfoliation" will keep going like a "cancer" throughout the vehicles metal. It must be ground out, and the holes filled with fiberglass filler. ( Bondo ) Then the vehicle needs to be sanded, primed, sanded again, tack cloth, then paint. The longer you wait, the more extensive the damage will get, and the higher the repair costs.

Wiegand 11-20-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgwalt (Post 885516)
I don't think he was talking about the jeep

Actually I was, but I know what you was getting at lol.

But seriously, if I did put that all over my jeep and didn't wash it off? Will it mess it up lol? All I see now is everything is turning white?

YJman 11-20-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiegand (Post 886105)
Actually I was, but I know what you was getting at lol.

But seriously, if I did put that all over my jeep and didn't wash it off? Will it mess it up lol? All I see now is everything is turning white?

Color change is normally a chemical reaction. Chemical reactions can be bad. lol.

Garyk 11-20-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiegand (Post 886105)
Actually I was, but I know what you was getting at lol.

But seriously, if I did put that all over my jeep and didn't wash it off? Will it mess it up lol? All I see now is everything is turning white?

I would wash it off now......naval jelly does eat metal, its a weak phosphoric acid...

But the new stuff is not as strong as it was 20 years ago, that stuff was strong, burn your hands..

Rastaman69 11-23-2010 04:00 PM

Silly girl, ALL Jeeps are money pits....why else own one?

PS For those who suggested POR-15...it is amazing. My pic is my POR-15'd frame. It easy to use but expensive.

YJman 11-23-2010 04:53 PM

:( my jeep is not a piece of crap lol...my jeep had holes and rot and bad floor boards but i fixed it...my feelings are hurt lol. I'm going to have to put lense caps over my Jeeps head lights so she doesn't see this. She might drive away and cry out wiper fluid :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 AM.