Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Secret to removing tank straps (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/secret-to-removing-tank-straps-69915.html)

BlackJeepoftheFamily 11-23-2010 01:12 PM

Secret to removing tank straps

Stupid question but is there a secret to removing the tank straps from the fuel tank skid plate??? There are plastic covers on the ends of the bolts so you wouldn't think rust would be that big of a problem but I can't even turn those off...just going to cut the plastic covers off.

I dropped the fuel tank a few days ago and ordered my new skid. Tank straps don't come with the skid plate...$20 extra. Not bad but mine look ok EXCEPT I can't get the nuts off!!

I soaked them in Liquid Wrench and 3-in-1 oil three days ago and they still won't budge...only twist the strap into the tank. I hold the strap with a pliers and still can't budge the nut.

Any suggestions or tricks would be greatly appreciated. It's 12 degrees today. I'm hoping to get the tank back up when it warms to the balmy 30's this weekend but I can't get the tank off the old skid.

Peepers 11-23-2010 01:21 PM

Mine were a PITA to get off, but they just unscrewed eventually... You could try the cold bolt loosener or use a hair dryer to warm the bolt up, the thermal expansion / contraction might help break it loose.

village idiot 11-23-2010 02:46 PM

Nut splitter?

Dewry636 11-23-2010 06:02 PM

I got new straps... Those rubber covers over the threads are a joke. they don't even work. Mine were super rusty under there.... I put pliers on the rubber a started twisting... the rubber part came off. The threads were so rusted, the threads were not even there anymore. I cut them off with a dremel tool and put new ones on. All I can say is, spray them down with PB Blaster and soak... then have someone else hold a pair of vice grips on the strap and turn them. Hopefully they will turn. You could always use a little heat but I am against that because it's on the gas tank... and I personally don't wanna blow up this early iin life. I have lots of Jeepin to do!! Good Luck fellow jeeper!

withay 11-23-2010 06:20 PM

I got new ones. Ask yourself - how much is your time (and effort) worth vs just getting new ones.

catITguy 11-23-2010 11:18 PM

I broke my old ones trying to get the nut off. They werent too expensive (maybe $15/strap) for replacements.

BlackJeepoftheFamily 11-24-2010 09:48 AM

Thanks for the input.

I'll try some "mild" heat like a blow dryer. Don't want to blow up either. I can get the new straps, the money isn't an issue...just can't get the old ones off. Thought about a cut-off tool as that's usually my answer to difficult bolts but was afraid to throw sparks around the gas tank.

walleyewallin 11-24-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJeepoftheFamily (Post 892026)
Thanks for the input.

I'll try some "mild" heat like a blow dryer. Don't want to blow up either. I can get the new straps, the money isn't an issue...just can't get the old ones off. Thought about a cut-off tool as that's usually my answer to difficult bolts but was afraid to throw sparks around the gas tank.

get a large peice of leather.. like a welding jacket and trow it over or around the tank.. and just keep an eye on it and you shouldnt have any issues.