Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Buying a jeep / roof / hot south florida (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/buying-a-jeep-roof-hot-south-florida-7024.html)

dkippies 04-02-2007 08:54 AM

Buying a jeep / roof / hot south florida

Im looking into buying my first jeep -X.
I live in hot south florida - was wondering how well the A/C works in 98 degrees with a soft top - how long does the jeep take to cool down?
It will probably be black which doesnt help :(

bluvikng 04-02-2007 09:07 AM

I live in TX, and do not have any experience with trying to cool down a jeep, with a soft top on. Our daily driver keeps the hard top on, and my off road jeep, only has a bikini on, with no A/C. But with the hard top on, I know that the A/C will freeze you out, on 100+ deg. weather.

Almost missed it, your first post. Welcome to the WF. Glad you found us.

1BLKJP 04-02-2007 02:18 PM

I live in Phoenix, and it gets fairly hot here in the summer. :D My Wrangler will cool down fairly quickly when the soft top is on. After it does kick to cold then it works perfectly fine.

Texapple 04-02-2007 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkippies (Post 67787)
Im looking into buying my first jeep -X.
I live in hot south florida - was wondering how well the A/C works in 98 degrees with a soft top - how long does the jeep take to cool down?
It will probably be black which doesnt help :(

I'm always surprised when this is asked (voice tone in wonder, not sarcastic :) )......maybe because we're talking about a "rag top", but the time it takes to cool is about the same as any other vehicle. I don't think it's so much the top of the vehicle as the interior space: takes my Tahoe longer to cool down than my Jeep.....but both will freeze ya out once the hot air is displaced :D

Let's be honest....you'll have the top off more than on, so A/C is secondary ;)

dkippies 04-03-2007 11:45 AM

Thanks!

Thank you for your input!
(Enthusiastic jeep waves)

jp'rs_peep'rs 04-03-2007 11:56 AM

Warmest Welcome!
C.

Superbuick96 11-02-2007 06:46 PM

Yeah I revived a old thread no one cared about the first time so........:D What Ive been pondering as far as the topic of a/c goes is, how much do you really use it with a Wrangler? I was wondering if I may even be better off saving the 900.00 and not ordering a/c with my JK. I meen the a/c unit is going to break eventually anyway, more then likely just after the warranty is up....What do owners thing?

Levinoss 11-02-2007 07:55 PM

Should have made a new thread...

I would get the A/C it does come in handy imo

~Lev

jetter2 11-02-2007 09:28 PM

Good 'ol American AC will cool ya down.

It's not German..those things strain in the extreme heat in Tx

Jase 11-03-2007 09:27 AM

I couldnt live without the AC. Here in GA, it gets hot & humid.. I had my top down and was miserable.. the AC was NEEDED.

debruins 11-03-2007 10:45 AM

in ohio you'll be perfectly fine without it, its only the humid states that have to worry about it, (unless u are in stopa dn go traffic all the time then its nice b/c the wind doent cool you off if ur stopped)

MCG 11-06-2007 11:56 AM

My AC works pretty good here,cools down faster than my Wife's Pathfinder.
specially if its your DD you dont want to be without A/C.

activelydying 11-06-2007 01:47 PM

I have never used my AC and I'm in Columbus. Red lights with the top off kinda sucks, but with a bikini or safari top will solve the problem.

4Jeepn 11-06-2007 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debruins (Post 154734)
in ohio you'll be perfectly fine without it, its only the humid states that have to worry about it, (unless u are in stopa dn go traffic all the time then its nice b/c the wind doent cool you off if ur stopped)

Yeah those normal 90-100+ degree days over the summer here in Cincinnati, OHIO where so cool. Oh wait its a dry heat, so it only felt like 89.....LOL