Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Couple quick questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/couple-quick-questions-7037.html)

JCS05Rubi 04-02-2007 07:11 PM

Couple quick questions

Hey guys, I have a few questions for you.

First, I have developed a squeak in my clutch since my mudding weekend. I got the undercarriage pretty clean, but its by no means spotless. Obviously I plan on cleaning it out better and spraying it down with some white lithium grease or something, but is there a part that I should be looking for, or just needs greasing?

Second, My old 97 was the same way, but the transmission blew up 8,000 miles after I bought it, so I don't know if its normal. My transmission has a pretty loud clutch chatter in 1st and reverse, sometimes second. Is this normal, or does the linkage need to be adjusted or something?

Third, Again, the old TJ was the same but I dunno... The transmission just feels sloppy.. I know its not a ferrari, but I just want to make sure its a jeep thing and not a bad trans. The transmission in my truck was replaced by a dealership about 2,000 miles before I bought it, so I am just making sure. Its prolly just my still not knowing how to drive stick properly after owning 5 of em... but who knows :rolleyes: :p

Fourth..How do you all keep your cowboy hats and baseball caps on your head with the top down and doors off? My old TJ I just never wore hats that often when it was nice, but I have lost a cowboy hat (luckily not my nice one..) and my favorite baseball cap.. My cap i had tightened as much as I could, and kept adjusting when it rode up. I went to shift one time before adjusting and WAM there goes my favorite hat.. right onto the side of a very busy interstate in rush hour :mad: :( Any ideas?

Thanks guys.

Dare2BSquare 04-02-2007 07:24 PM

Put a bungee cord over your hat and under your chin. It will make you look cool. :eek: :eek: :eek:

kg4kpg 04-02-2007 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dare2BSquare (Post 67935)
Put a bungee cord over your hat and under your chin. It will make you look cool. :eek: :eek: :eek:

What an image :eek:
I don't wear my cowboy hat with the top off, got it from my late uncle, a true texas cowboy to his death. Baseball caps, just pull it down and hope for the best. Wear it backwards. Use bobby pins, :rolleyes: Wear cheap hats when jeepin.

Dare2BSquare 04-02-2007 10:02 PM

That was my second option...

First was fencing staples!

mrbigjeep 04-02-2007 10:17 PM

what does your cluctch sound like? i developed a squeak after the first time i went too...its been fine though and that was a long time ago...just wondering if the squeak was the same

JCS05Rubi 04-03-2007 04:59 AM

About halfway through the travel its got a quick squeak and feels like im pushing it past a small lip almost.. like halfway through it is binding just a little tiny bit..

is the clutch chatter normal on jeeps?

4Jeepn 04-03-2007 05:30 AM

clutch chatter is present on some, but if you think something is out of wack have it looked at. I know on mine and others, you may hear a marble's in a can sound until the clutch is pressed in, but I don't have a ruby so not sure if they do this or not.

mud707 04-03-2007 08:00 AM

don't know if this will help but, underneath your jeep right behind your engine where your tranmission connects is a little quarter in. openning try spraying a hose up in there. I go through deep mud and you would be surprised at how much can get in there.

JCS05Rubi 04-03-2007 08:29 AM

thanks, i thought it was a sealed bellhousing...ill go to the self wash tonite. mine had this chatter before the mud though. seems like anytime i put the clutch in, while not giving it any gas, the clutch wants to explode :p