Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Bumper removal

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  wolfen 
#1 ·
Hello all, where would I find the tool to take the factory bumpers off and what size is it... Thanks

#3 ·
I want to say it's a T55 torx bit - but I'd have to check and I'm not near my Jeep's tool bag at the moment.

Use some PB Blaster or equivalent for a couple days on the bolts before you try taking them off or your chances of breaking the bit are pretty good.

#9 ·
Just a heads-up: many people have problems with the bumper bolts being hard to get off. I didn't have any problems with mine, but I've seen people recommend spraying it with liquid wrench (or similar) and letting it soak for a day or two (this is what I did).
I've also seen where people put the T55 socket on the bolt and gave it a good whack with a hammer, to "jar it loose".
You may also need a tap & die set, I had to clean up the threads on one front & one rear bolt. I believe they're 1/2"x13 threads.
Happy wrenching!:wavey:

#10 ·
I haven't messed with my rear bumper...but the bolts on my front bumper were pretty much eaten in half due to rust, although they still came out without stripping the threads in the frame or snapping off. I ended up going to Ace Hardware and getting some stainless steel hex head bolts to replace them.

I would second the suggestion to use a 1/2" drive ratchet on it...may need a small breaker bar too.

#14 ·
definitely invest in a can or two of PB Blaster, stuff works amazing just took the bumpers off my tj and the bolts would never have come out without being sprayed first. get some "Never Seize" as well and put them on the bolts before reinstalling so next time they come out nice and easy.

#15 ·
A can or two? if yall are like me ya got a CASE or two :)
As for Never seize, just do like I do make your own its cheaper, get a var of Vaseline, (generic will do) and a bottle or tube or graphite, mix them together until the look like antisieze. and your done, apply exactly as you would store bought graphite antisieze.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.