Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   ?? Pop Noise Help! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/pop-noise-help-70586.html)

kilz42 11-30-2010 07:20 AM

?? Pop Noise Help!

Hey Guys

YJ. 4.0L 6cyl. 5 speed manual transmission. D35 rear with detroit lockers. Just took off the rear track bar. 4.56 gears. 33's m/t's.

This just happened.. literally I was on my way to work, backed out of my driveway and put it in first gear, then when I shifted to second I got a loud thunk/thud noise (felt like the rear drums seized) with a binding feeling and as I slowed down I heard a ticking/knocking noise coming from the rear end. The knocking noise slowed down as the Jeep slowed down. The first thud noise sound exactly like when you put a jeep in first gear and run the rpm's up to 2-3K and then just pop the clutch out hard. I thought it was my pinion - I've had that happen before. But with the pinion it knocks constantly when you shift into higher gears. It's not transmission either - that's still strong. It's cold and rainy here but from the brief visual inspection there is nothing out of the ordinary. I hear squeaking in the rear right...but that could be the rain (although it hasn't made that kind of squeak in the rain before....) It happened again on the drive to work (I drove since i couldn't see anything wrong) and it happened again on a smaller degree when I shifted into 5th at about 45mph. Same binding feeling (same thud like I shifted with the rpm's hight) and the knocking noise when the clutch is out and running is still there...help guys...I have no clue what this is.

kilz42 11-30-2010 07:38 AM

Another thing - it's not the usual cannon like pop noise the locker makes after a turn...it's different and it's got me worried.

kilz42 11-30-2010 09:32 AM

Any ideas or help would be appreciated guys...I'm working with little money here and I don't want to waste it diagnosing whats wrong with it....

J10 11-30-2010 09:50 AM

A bad u joint could make some of those symptoms but I am not sure about all of them especially the loud pop.
Easy to check though

kilz42 12-01-2010 10:41 AM

Update -

My mechanic think it has something to do with my automatically locking 4 wheel drive. He thinks the auto locking hubs are engaging when they shouldn't. I decided to check my 4x4 out and I've run into an interesting issue. When it's in 4hi and I go to take a turn at slow speeds the wheels go maybe a turn to the right and it feels like it locks up. I hear the steering box running trying to get it to turn more but it won't... Weird? Not sure why

J10 12-01-2010 10:48 AM

It may be an issue but the front axle will bind up a bit especially on dry pavement under normal circumstances. You would notice it at higher speeds but instead of the axle binding the tires slip.

On my old toyotas I had to clean out the hubs every once and awhile maybe give that a shot, theres not much to them, atleast not much to the yotas.