Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Can't decide between 33" or 35" MTRs! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/cant-decide-between-33-or-35-mtrs-70592.html)

Jp90Talon 11-30-2010 08:54 AM

Can't decide between 33" or 35" MTRs!
 
To sum it up I am buying new tires this week. I was going to buy another set of Bighorns but found out that I can get a set of MTRs with kevlar for the same price. Now this got me thinking. Should I stick with 33's or make the move up to 35's while I have the chance..

This is my daily driver so I have a few questions

-How are 35's with 4.10 gears (will going up from 33's to 35's really hurt MPG?

-Can anyone think of anything I should take into consideration that I may be forgetting?

I have the room to make the move up (rocking 33's on my suspension right now with tons of room to flex and my ACOS are at the lowest setting and I haven't even installed the 1.25" BL I have.

Thanks again for the advice and being the voice of reason!

distortedtj 11-30-2010 08:57 AM

Some quick things to think about with 35's.

Steering.
brakes.
gears...you already know
clearance....you have that covered sounds like.
correcting speedo.


You want them anyway....go for it. You'll love the MTR's.

Jp90Talon 11-30-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distortedtj (Post 900645)
Some quick things to think about with 35's.

Steering.
brakes.
gears...you already know
clearance....you have that covered sounds like.
correcting speedo.


You want them anyway....go for it. You'll love the MTR's.

Well I already have the Currie HD steering waiting to go on, disc brakes all around, and a GPS to tell me my speed. My main concerns that I can think of is whether the 35's will really hurt the drivability and MPG since it is my daily.

harwa004 11-30-2010 09:29 AM

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...cons/drool.gif
I'm watching this thread play out. My baby needs new sneakers fairly soon and I am toying with going up from 33s to 35s and regearing her. I know I want 35s, not decided on which ones. But also wanna make sure I have all my bases covered, too.

Jp90Talon 11-30-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwa004 (Post 900690)
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...cons/drool.gif
I'm watching this thread play out. My baby needs new sneakers fairly soon and I am toying with going up from 33s to 35s and regearing her. I know I want 35s, not decided on which ones. But also wanna make sure I have all my bases covered, too.

Like I said, I was looking at another set of Bighorns since I really love the set I have now but the guy offered me MTRs with kevlar for the same price. Plus Goodyear has an $80 mail in rebate going on right now so it would be cheaper than the Bighorns. Then I found out the 35's weren't much more.......Dam temptation! :banghead:

J10 11-30-2010 09:46 AM

I was thinking of making the move up too and then discovered I cant get 10.5" wide tires in 35s Not an issue if you like the wide tires but I prefer the skinny ones

harwa004 11-30-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp90Talon (Post 900700)
Like I said, I was looking at another set of Bighorns since I really love the set I have now but the guy offered me MTRs with kevlar for the same price. Plus Goodyear has an $80 mail in rebate going on right now so it would be cheaper than the Bighorns. Then I found out the 35's weren't much more.......Dam temptation! :banghead:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I know. I am also toying with the ATs versus MTs issue. I put a lot of highway miles on my TJ, and MTs are gonna get chewed up faster. But man, when she is off the pavement...:rolleyes:

I think I am going to treat that like I do MPG in her. Choose to not do the math and remain happily ignorant about how much more it costs. :D

village idiot 11-30-2010 10:09 AM

I have 35" KM2's on my JK and 35" MTR's Kevlar on my TJ. MTR's are quieter on pavement and as good or better offroad.

33's are ultimately the more pragmatic choice for pavement driving. But I think you should get 35's. If you're looking for the very best fuel economy you probably wouldn't be driving a jeep anyway. Same with horsepower, you'd probably be driving something else if that was a priority. Stock steering can handle 35's. Axle shafts? If you don't have Dana 44's, you might think about that, maybe some Superior chrome moly. You'll probably want 4.88 gears, especially if you have an automatic.

Yeah, get the 35's, besides giving you an extra 1" clearance and extra wheel diameter offroad, they just look better proportionally with your lift.

Jp90Talon 11-30-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwa004 (Post 900730)
:rofl::rofl::rofl: I know. I am also toying with the ATs versus MTs issue. I put a lot of highway miles on my TJ, and MTs are gonna get chewed up faster. But man, when she is off the pavement...:rolleyes:

The reason that I was looking at another set of Bighorns was because they actually handled better and wore great compared to my BFG ATs plus had all the additional off road perks. I also drive like an idiot and put about 400 miles a week in driving on them so its not like I babied them. If the MTRs are as good or better I will be more than happy with the purchase. I just cant decide between 33s or 35's.

Jp90Talon 11-30-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by village idiot (Post 900750)
Axle shafts? If you don't have Dana 44's, you might think about that, maybe some Superior chrome moly. You'll probably want 4.88 gears, especially if you have an automatic.

Yeah, get the 35's, besides giving you an extra 1" clearance and extra wheel diameter offroad, they just look better proportionally with your lift.

I have D44s, 6spd, and 4.10s. I plan on eventually upgrading shafts but no plans on re-gearing.

Work4Mud 11-30-2010 10:29 AM

I have the opposite question rolling around in my head, I have 35x12.50r15 bfg m/t km2s and I was wondering what would change if I just went down to 33's. Everything set for 35's but just going down to 33's really going to do much?

harwa004 11-30-2010 10:31 AM

My TJ had 35s MTs on her when I went to buy her. I was concerned about handling and wear, so I had them switch them out for the 33 ATs. MAN---what a difference in the way it looks. She looked way meaner on 35s. And I could not tell much difference in handling from the test drive on curvy mountain roads on MTs versus the 33 ATs now.

However, that being said, since she was not regeared to handle the 35s it probably was a wise decision at the time, even though I didn't know it. Now that I am starting to get into mud, I am wanting the bigger mud tires and wanting the regear, and lockers, and....

I will get the 35s at some point. Just not sure if it will be this go around or not. Depends on mod money at the necessary time. :D

But you are moddin' up anyhow, and it sounds like to me you have already made your mind up. You just need someone to tell you it is okay to go for it.

If it were me and I had those mods, I would go for it! Its always a work in progress and you can tackle anything else as it arises.

NUTnOUT 11-30-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Work4Mud (Post 900773)
I have the opposite question rolling around in my head, I have 35x12.50r15 bfg m/t km2s and I was wondering what would change if I just went down to 33's. Everything set for 35's but just going down to 33's really going to do much?


same here.....subscribing:wavey:

harwa004 11-30-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Work4Mud (Post 900773)
I have the opposite question rolling around in my head, I have 35x12.50r15 bfg m/t km2s and I was wondering what would change if I just went down to 33's. Everything set for 35's but just going down to 33's really going to do much?

:eek: Why would you want to is the real question!

Just kiddin'. :D

Jp90Talon 11-30-2010 10:35 AM

OK so anyone with 4.10's and wanna chime in with their experiences with 33's vs 35's?

Work4Mud 11-30-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwa004 (Post 900781)
:eek: Why would you want to is the real question!

Just kiddin'. :D

Haha, just wondering if it would make any big difference plus its a little cheaper.

harwa004 11-30-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Work4Mud (Post 900797)
Haha, just wondering if it would make any big difference plus its a little cheaper.

I hear ya, but I am telling you...I was standing there when they pulled mine around to take the 35s off, and then there 30 mins later when they brought her back on 33s. HUGE difference in wow appearance factor.

:eek: It made me a little sick.

Granted, probably smart move since I need more mods to handle 35s. The only thing that saved me from crying was the fact that I was taking her home for the first time ever...so I was too excited to let downsizing tires kill my joy.

Mortalis5509 11-30-2010 11:06 AM

I'm assuming you have a Rubicon. Your mileage is going down but not a lot. One your jeep is going higher into the air and two the tires weigh more causing more power to first move them. But you can counter some of that since you have a manual. If you have a Rubicon that in the computer it can be upgraded to 35's. I think you will be fine.

Fine a chart where it shows engine RPM's per gear ratio at a constant speed with the different tire sizes. That will help you out a lot.

But do it.

Mortalis5509 11-30-2010 11:19 AM

Tire Size Calculator - Compare Tire Sizes ಠ - ಠ

Jp90Talon 11-30-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalis5509 (Post 900851)

Yes I have an 05 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited with a 6spd. According to the bottom of the chart I will be in the "Better fuel economy" catagory if I run 35's with 4.10's :eek:

harwa004 11-30-2010 11:45 AM

Sounds like karma to me. :D

kpool 11-30-2010 11:53 AM

Just do it....they won't last 4-ever then you can go back down if you want.

Mortalis5509 11-30-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpool (Post 900900)
Just do it....they won't last 4-ever then you can go back down if you want.

Agree

village idiot 11-30-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp90Talon (Post 900772)
I have D44s, 6spd, and 4.10s. I plan on eventually upgrading shafts but no plans on re-gearing.

The Dana 44's should be good with 35's and stock shafts. Last summer I did see one instance of a front shaft Spicer joint ear being twisted off in an extreme condition though (of a stock D44 setup with 35's).

Interesting you have a 6 speed and 4.10's. I have the same on my '06 Rubicon.

I'm going to repeat an unpopular opinion I expressed once before and got shot down on, but I don't think the shooters had actual experience. I have no shame, so here goes. I did not re-gear my 4.10's when I went to 35's with the 6 speed, and I still think for me that's the right decision. With an automatic, there's no doubt you would need 4,88's or even 5,13's, because of the shift points and so on, its a dog, a real slug, if you don't do it.

With the 6 speed, the Rubicon T-case, and smaller tires, you know how first gear in high range feels too low and second gear feels too tall, for a standing start? I was continually frustrated, should I start out in first gear or start out in second gear. Most of the time 2nd, but it felt too tall a bit.

With the 35's and 4.10's, suddenly first gear feels exactly right for starting out. But there's at least a couple other factors.

First, off road, you're giving up a bit of the lowest crawling ratio for extreme conditions. To this issue I can say that with the Rubicon Tcase ratio, I have yet to find a condition anywhere where I felt I needed anything still lower. No issue there for me.

Second, on the highway, is sixth gear now too tall with 4.10's, am I "losing power" because I haven't geared to 4.88's? I say not, because the only thing that matters delivering power, is your overall ratio. With 6 speeds I can always find a ratio that delivers the same power to the ground. Might be 4th gear instead of 5th, etc. 6th gear is still very useable as an overdrive, I use it periodically when on the freeway. (Not uphill though!!). Ultimately your overall ratios will be spread a bit wider with 4,10's than 4,88's, but for me it all works out very well. And I'm definitely not opposed to spending the money for 4.88's if I thought I needed it, but for me, my opinion based on actual personal experience, 4.88's definitely for an automatic, but not necessary for the 6 speed. If you get 35's, at least try it before you decide to re-gear.

Others say I'm crazy.

village idiot 11-30-2010 12:45 PM

And after having said all that, I am ultimately going to convert over to an automatic with 4.88's because Jerry B and other friends have convinced me that an automatic is ultimately better for serious offroad stuff. That's next year though, and another topic.

Work4Mud 11-30-2010 05:46 PM

So with my 35's im running stock gears and axles d30-d35 and never have I had any issues with anything breaking, loss of power, slow acceleration, etc. Am I asking for trouble? This was another reason I was thinking about going down to 33's

Jp90Talon 12-01-2010 08:19 AM

Update....Just talked with the guy and he is going to sell me the 35's for the same deal as the 33's so you can guess what Im getting.

harwa004 12-01-2010 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp90Talon (Post 902636)
Update....Just talked with the guy and he is going to sell me the 35's for the same deal as the 33's so you can guess what Im getting.

OMG OMG OMG! :punk: AWESOME way to score!!

Take before and after pics and post em!

Kevinm2467 12-01-2010 08:28 AM

From my understanding 35's puts way too much strain on a d35 axle... I want 35's also but I'm not sure if it's a safe thing to do.

Work4Mud 12-01-2010 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinm2467 (Post 902655)
From my understanding 35's puts way too much strain on a d35 axle... I want 35's also but I'm not sure if it's a safe thing to do.

been running 35's for awhile now and had 0 problems. Hit mild to medium trails when I get the chance and never have an issue....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.