Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Adding Aux to Factory Radio (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/adding-aux-to-factory-radio-70652.html)

Trivial 11-30-2010 05:09 PM

Adding Aux to Factory Radio

Hey there,

I have a 99 wrangler and was wondering if the factory radio has RCA inputs in the back? I was looking to add an Aux input to my dash using a cheap 3.5mm Stereo Female to RCA Male Y-Cable.

I'm not sure if this will even work, has anyone done anything similar to this?

edman87k5 11-30-2010 05:22 PM

There are no rca inputs on the back, you will have to buy a kit for it. I believe it is called a line level adapter.

BCowley 11-30-2010 05:24 PM

Is suggest just swapping out the radio, can get get a nice aftermarket cd player for cheap these days, plus sounds a little better even with factory speakers.

Trivial 11-30-2010 07:57 PM

After market

I was thinking about getting an after market stereo, but the jeep gets parked street side with a soft top and unlocked doors. So I'm looking for something that wont end up getting yanked out of my dash. Maybe if I can find an after market stereo that looks stock. All I'm really looking for is Aux in to play music off my phone.

Bryangb7 11-30-2010 08:02 PM

I got the kit from best buy...I did it for the same reason as you, I wanted to add my amps and didn't want it to look upgraded for theft reasons.

1991 Wrangler YJ Renegade 11-30-2010 08:06 PM

I got a $40 radio at walmart, plays mp3s, usb, and aux... and I think a couple other things. It's a simple, no bs radio. and if someone wants to yank it out, well it's like 40 bucks. but, it doesn't look real expensive enough to tempt someone to rip it out. I park in south florida with no alarms, no windows and no doors and I have yet to have a problem with it

rubicon hobby 11-30-2010 09:44 PM

I bought the FM Modulator that connects to your antenna I think I have the I-simple anyway it works fine and was super easy to install since the antenna comes apart behind the glove box on my 03

friedfish 11-30-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1991 Wrangler YJ Renegade
I got a $40 radio at walmart, plays mp3s, usb, and aux... and I think a couple other things. It's a simple, no bs radio. and if someone wants to yank it out, well it's like 40 bucks. but, it doesn't look real expensive enough to tempt someone to rip it out. I park in south florida with no alarms, no windows and no doors and I have yet to have a problem with it

Yea big deal its $40 gone. But what about all the wireing the theaf is gonna rip out of the dash? Or break the dash trim keeping the radio in. I had a radio stolen once. Getting a new one in wasent a problum. Fixing what the theaf did was.

compshooter 11-30-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon hobby (Post 901969)
I bought the FM Modulator that connects to your antenna I think I have the I-simple anyway it works fine and was super easy to install since the antenna comes apart behind the glove box on my 03

Same thing here. Bought a cheap $10 FM transmitter of eBay, works great. I also have the factory radio (no cassette or CD, strictly AM/FM) and the transmitter works great, plugs in to the 12V adapter and your MP3 player via 3.5mm jack. Take it with you when you leave.

robbiecc 12-01-2010 06:02 AM

mine came with a sony(detachable faceplate) and xm-got the center console rekeyed(didn't come w/key) and lock em both up in there. only thing out is an el cheapo RS cb mounted w/nylon straps. probably not worth the effort to break in