Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Cold Weather JOG update (2011 Wrangler) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/cold-weather-jog-update-2011-wrangler-70757.html)

Nu2Jeep 12-01-2010 11:04 AM

Cold Weather JOG update (2011 Wrangler)

Original thread here

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/jum...1-a-70465.html

Had the dealer appointment this morning. Of course the temp in Montreal has risen to +12c so the Jeep was shifting fine and was a pleasure on the ride there:banghead:. The service rep has seen the same problem on at least a dozen other Wranglers so he didn't even want a road test. He had a technician inspect it and tells me the root cause is once again inner boot interference (surprise, surprise). The boot is too short and gets too stiff when cold. He has ordered a new replacement boot with a longer throat and softer rubber which will / should solve the problem. Install is Friday morning and I will try to procure the "new" boot part number so the rest of my fellow cold weather Jeepers can end the frustration. Hope it all works out. So far this is the only issue with this otherwise beautiful and capable vehicle.

Nu2Jeep 12-03-2010 07:43 PM

Had the new boot installed this morning. We let it sit outdoors for six hours to chill. -2c tonight and the Jeep now shifts like nobody's business. Felt great to finally be able to mat the pedal in 2nd gear. Night and day difference really. If anyone is interested in the boot part #'s let me know. Bring on Winter!

Gvfjr 12-04-2010 02:46 AM

May I trouble you for that part info,please?Also, do you have any details such as how many hours to complete and/or disassemble the console? (What was undertaken to change the part?)Photos too would also be appreciated.Thanks.

krutj 12-04-2010 07:49 AM

When the temps get low here, I'll start the Jeep, put the transfer case in neutral and the tranny in 3rd or 4th gear and let the tranny turn while warming up....

azorcan 12-04-2010 01:31 PM

I would like the parts numbers also,Thanks

trentsjk 12-04-2010 02:14 PM

Yes please share :wavey:

Gvfjr 12-04-2010 05:21 PM

Yes this is happening to me too.It has only 226 miles on it and is surely aggravating.Do you really feel a tremendous difference in the positivity of the 2,4,6 slots after the boot replacement?Mine feels like a dish of oatmeal.Time to check in with the dealer.

Nu2Jeep 12-04-2010 07:52 PM

Sorry for the late reply people I was out the door this morning at 6am and just back now. Here is the part # and description,

52060165-AE
Inner Boot

Installation was around 3 hours. I don't really know the exact procedure to access the inner boot but the buggers managed to break the small plastic collar around the top of the outer shifter boot just below the shifter knob so they may have gone in through the top. I'll be going back on Monday to have that collar replaced (part # 68085312-AA). -3c here today and the Jeep is shifting excellently. I've been tear-assing around quick shifting when the transmissions cold and it hasn't skipped a beat. Lower gate positions are very positive and stay put. I don't expect any further problems with this issue. One caveat, I'm in Canada. I hope part #'s are the same for folks South of the border.

J_Westy 12-04-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nu2Jeep (Post 908355)
Sorry for the late reply people I was out the door this morning at 6am and just back now. Here is the part # and description,

52060165-AE
Inner Boot

Thanks. I just forwarded this to our service manager.

He duplicated the issue on our Jeep on Friday and so did the district rep... and they said they were trying to contact Chrysler for a fix. Looks like this may be it!!!

Nu2Jeep 12-05-2010 12:55 PM

Sad news to report. Much colder her today with the wind chill. Took the Jeep out early this morning and it still jumped out of 2nd and 4th a few times although not as much as before. I've resorted to keeping my hand on the shifter to keep it in gear until warm-up even though that's something I know you should never do to a transmission. The saga continues. Sorry to get anyones hopes up. Bummer:mad:.

J.B. 12-05-2010 01:01 PM

Damn Man! :( Hope ya get it worked out Bud! Maybe they can adjust the inner boot alittle bit farther ahead. :confused:

Gvfjr 12-05-2010 01:27 PM

Im sorry to hear that it hasnt been completely fixed.would it be possible to remove that piece and still have a functional shifter?

Nu2Jeep 12-05-2010 02:24 PM

Thank guys. Will be in contact with the dealer again tomorrow of course. Bet they'll be happy to hear from me:rolleyes:. In the mean time I'm experimenting. I usually leave the shifter in first gear when I park and maybe this is part of the problem. I am going to park it in reverse gear from now on and see if that breaks in the boot enough to allow it to stay in gear. Who knows, sometimes it's the stupidest thing that cures the problem. Still love my Wrangler and this great forum :punk:

GVFJR. Not sure if it's a good idea to completely remove that part. It's there to keep moisture and dirt out of the works.

J_Westy 12-05-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nu2Jeep (Post 909276)
Sad news to report. Much colder her today with the wind chill. Took the Jeep out early this morning and it still jumped out of 2nd and 4th a few times ...Bummer:mad:.

That stinks. I've forwarded this thread to my service manager. Maybe being 10 miles from HQ might help get some traction.

Gvfjr 12-05-2010 05:29 PM

I had a 2010 Jku soft top that I installed heated seats in.When I had the console apart(6spd) I didnt notice or remember what the inner boot looked like.The outer shifter boot is different on the '11 but I wonder why Jeep had to change the inner boot.

Gvfjr 12-06-2010 02:19 PM

Ok guys here's the deal.I just removed the console (shifter boot assembly and cup holders).This was a HELL of a lot easier to remove then the 2010 console.Underneath this console, while looking at the shifter, there is a rubber boot that covers part of the shifter rod.Under that rubber boot there is a circular piece of metal or plastic attached to the shifter rod.This is evidently hitting the console in the 2,4,6,reverse indents.While driving around here(NJ)with the console off the temperature was 30F and the vehicle was cold.Im happy to report that there was NO jumping out of gear at anytime.The shape of the console is interfering with the positive engagements.I have pics of the interior without the console and the console itself(while removed).I may not have the ability to post pics but if you pm me i'll be happy to send them to you.For a quick fix,you may remove the shifter knob, the transfer knob and simply lift off the console(held in by clips) to fix this issue(worked for me,I will not take responsibility if you break something).You can do this as no tools were required if you dont mind the appearance of the interior.Im hoping Jeep will have a fix for this.

J_Westy 12-06-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gvfjr (Post 910800)
.Im happy to report that there was NO jumping out of gear at anytime.

Very interesting.

I sent you a PM. If you email me your pictures, I'll be happy to post them for us.

J_Westy 12-06-2010 04:58 PM

Gvfir -- Here are your pictures -- see below.

So you're thinking that rear edge of the inner boot is hitting the console????

Maybe those clips holding in the outer shift boot?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gvfjr (Post 910800)
The shape of the console is interfering with the positive engagements.I have pics of the interior without the console and the console itself(while removed).

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...p/IMAG0096.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...p/IMAG0102.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...p/IMAG0098.jpg

Gvfjr 12-06-2010 05:11 PM

Im thinking that the slope (looking on top of the console,what we see while it is installed in the vehicle) is too far forward.The problem is if you cut that piece out,using a dremel or similiar,it will leave the rubber boot dangling because it is glued into the console.More or less it will be impossible to make this look neat if you try to remove the interfering part.Also by cutting this piece,it will remove the two clips(see the underneath pic)that seem substantial to secure the console to the interior.Im tempted to try it but with my luck Jeep will offer a recall or TSB for the offending part and mine will look like a frankenstein experiment.Ill just have to buy the new console if it ever comes to fruition.We can't be the only people that own 2011s on this forum that are experiencing this.Im pretty sure anyone in a colder climate is going to experience this.

Nu2Jeep 12-06-2010 05:17 PM

Nice Work Gvfjr! We're making some headway here. Sure could use a red arrow pointing to the "circular piece" in one of those pics (heading to the dealer tomorrow for that broken collar and would like to inform them). BTW, left my shifter engaged in reverse last night instead of 1st. -12c today and it never jumped out of gear when cold. In fact it shifted very well cold. Perhaps a loophole we can use until there is a proper fix. Again, well done!

Gvfjr 12-06-2010 05:26 PM

if you look at the last shot it is the black u-shaped piece on the shifter

Gvfjr 12-06-2010 05:56 PM

After playing with the console, I realized that the shifter boot comes completely off the console.The two clips that are on the underside of the console ONLY hold the shifter boot in place on the console and not the console to the frame.I put the console back in the Jeep and the shifter (without the boot on) does not interfere with the shifting. I got a pic of that too if anyone needs it.Ill take my Jeep out tonight for a drive and see how everything goes.

J_Westy 12-06-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gvfjr (Post 911082)
if you look at the last shot it is the black u-shaped piece on the shifter

Just so I'm following you...

Are you saying you think the red circled section of the inner boot is hitting the under-side of the console?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3.../IMAG0098b.jpg

Gvfjr 12-06-2010 06:02 PM

That and the shifter boot are causing a tight fit thus the popping of gear.JWesty Im going to take a pic right now with the console on the Jeep and the shifter boot off.Can you post that too,please?

J_Westy 12-06-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gvfjr (Post 911169)
That and the shifter boot are causing a tight fit tus the popping of gear.JWesty Im going to take a pic right now with the console on the Jeep and the shifter boot off.Can you post that too,please?

Sure, no problem.

Is there something hard under the inner-rubber boot in that section?

Gvfjr 12-06-2010 06:17 PM

Yes it is either some kind of composite or metal.

USAntigoon 12-06-2010 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gvfjr
You might read this post as well.. Lot to do with stack up of tolerances..You did a good job in analyzing the issue.. Keep up the good work !!!

J_Westy 12-06-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

That and the shifter boot are causing a tight fit thus the popping of gear.JWesty Im going to take a pic right now with the console on the Jeep and the shifter boot off.Can you post that too,please?

Here you go:

Quote:

J_Westy 12-06-2010 08:27 PM

Does the leather interior get a leather shift boot? I wonder if that would work better?

Gvfjr 12-06-2010 09:39 PM

I took the shifter boot off tonight and went for a ride.I went to a few stores locally so I did about twenty minutes worth of driving.With the shifter boot off I had no issues what so ever.I stopped at autozone and bought a cheap leather like universal shift boot for 10 dollars.It is adequate for now until I can figure something out or find a better replacement.It is the best we can hope for now.Hopefully Jeep will have a fix.Thanks for the complements earlier.If there is anything else I can do to help a fellow Jeeper just hollar.