Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   JK General Discussion Forum (
-   -   Technical question: Shock travel after C-ARM skid installation (

thefrog 12-03-2010 09:42 AM

Technical question: Shock travel after C-ARM skid installation
Had these installed a couple days ago. They're rear lower C-Arm/Shock mount skids. First off I want to mention that these units are top notch, nicely designed and very heavy duty! Made by Poly.

So I'm going wheeling tomorrow over at Rausch and I did my full suspension inspection routine this morning. Upon doing so, I noticed that I have lost what looks like about 2 inches of shock travel as compared to the original stock shock mount location prior to getting these installed. I knew I was going to loose some travel because of the increased ground clearance but I'm a bit surprised to the amount.

Measuring the exposed shock piston rod, I get 3 3/4 inches. The distance between the top of the bump stop to the bottom of that rubber bumper thing is 3 1/8 inches.

I'm worried that with a hard upward push, the bump stop will compress the rubber bumper and the base of the shock cylinder will become the new bump stop. I know I seem really anal about this stuff but should I even worry about it?

Comparison pics: