Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Help with a Jeep Body lift kit (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/help-with-a-jeep-body-lift-kit-71047.html)

jdurham805 12-04-2010 12:27 PM

Help with a Jeep Body lift kit
 
I recently had a Body lift given to me. The body lift is for a manual transmission but mine is an automatic. If possible, what would I need to do to make it work on mine. I have searched on here and had no luck. Thanks

Wrangler1212 12-04-2010 03:21 PM

what size lift is it and what brand is it?

If you go to 4wd.com, they have the installation instructions that you can download. You can see if there are any differences between auto and manuals. I dont remember any diffs for a basic 1in BL. . For a 1in lift you basically have to lower the radiator shroud, insert the new pucks and longer bolts, then install the drop bracket for the Tcase linkage. For 2 and 3in BLs you also install an extension to the fuel filler hose and an extension for the steering column mount on the frame. And then the manual shifter requires an extensin piece fro sure.

I had installed a 1in BL on my TJ years back, then removed it and installed a 3in BL. Thats what I'm currently running on my TJ, along with a 2in suspension lift.

jdurham805 12-04-2010 09:41 PM

its a 3in lift by performance accessory's and thanks for the help

4Jeepn 12-04-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdurham805 (Post 908549)
its a 3in lift by performance accessory's and thanks for the help

You don't want to put a 3" bL. Way too tall. Consider a 1" as max on a Jeep.

Wrangler1212 12-05-2010 02:20 AM

well i've said it before and i'll say it 100 more times. when people say "dont get a 3 in BL",, that makes as much sense as someone saying "dont get a flu shot cause needles suck". an experienced well informed adult knows better, correct? right! im speakin from yrs of experience with a 3in bl and all the negative reviews are all BULL. i've had no issues with: break lines or shifting tubs or handling issues or wire harnesses, nothing.. it' all band wagon pressure that followers hop on. i always look over my rig and even my jeep service manager says i have nothin to worry about. as long as you use proper kits with quality products you're fine. no home made pucks etc.. beauty is in the eye of the beholder and as long as u love how ur rig will look with a BL, then go with what u like. 1,2 or 3 in bl. go for it!

wranglerYJnewb 12-05-2010 02:23 AM

why would u want a BL? Looks horrible! IMO of course

s3nt3nc3d 12-05-2010 02:23 AM

Just because you've had no problems doesn't mean much when you see others who have run into numerous problems with large body lifts. Not to mention the hideous gap that now shows.

If you're going to lift your Jeep, do it right the first time...not to mention, lifting the body 3" isn't going to improve your off-roading ability much at all, same shocks/springs, same flex. You'll be able to clear bigger tires...and that's about it.

A better analogy than saying don't get a flu shot because you hate needles is...don't fix a broken rung on a ladder with duct tape. Sure it may hold if you use enough tape, but there's a good chance you're gonna fall through it and it's still going to look like crap.

Wrangler1212 12-05-2010 02:32 AM

and before someone mentions the other misguided theory of a 3in bl making a jeep top heavy, remember that a bl only lifts the tub. thats the lightest portion of your vehicle. a suspension lift which raises your frame, engine and tranny is what truly raises your center of gravity making u top heavy.

Wrangler1212 12-05-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3nt3nc3d (Post 908902)
Just because you've had no problems doesn't mean much when you see others who have run into numerous problems with large body lifts. Not to mention the hideous gap that now shows.

If you're going to lift your Jeep, do it right the first time...not to mention, lifting the body 3" isn't going to improve your off-roading ability much at all, same shocks/springs, same flex. You'll be able to clear bigger tires...and that's about it.

A better analogy than saying don't get a flu shot because you hate needles is...don't fix a broken rung on a ladder with duct tape. Sure it may hold if you use enough tape, but there's a good chance you're gonna fall through it and it's still going to look like crap.

As far as getting the "right" lift. It all depends on the sort of driving and off roading you plan on doing with your jeep. The "right" lift for some is not necessarily the right one for others. I for instance know that I wont ever compete in an extreme rock crawling contest due to the lack of articulation in my suspension. Thats not my thing. I can however offroad through most all the typical hunting and recreational trails that my buddies go through and they DO have quality suspension only lifts. As far as the "gap", that doesnt mean sqwat to me. gap or no gap, i dont care. "eye of the beholder".. Each driver should be happy and confident with the work they've done on their jeep because it "theirs" and nothing else matters. If you want a big purple frog painted on your doors, do it if it makes you happy..

Regarding problems with BL equipment, its all he said she said unless you experienced it yourself. I have put my rig to the test a sufficient number of times so I'm providing feedback based on factual experience.

4Jeepn 12-05-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrangler1212 (Post 908900)
well i've said it before and i'll say it 100 more times. when people say "dont get a 3 in BL",, that makes as much sense as someone saying "dont get a flu shot cause needles suck". an experienced well informed adult knows better, correct? right! im speakin from yrs of experience with a 3in bl and all the negative reviews are all BULL. i've had no issues with: break lines or shifting tubs or handling issues or wire harnesses, nothing.. it' all band wagon pressure that followers hop on. i always look over my rig and even my jeep service manager says i have nothin to worry about. as long as you use proper kits with quality products you're fine. no home made pucks etc.. beauty is in the eye of the beholder and as long as u love how ur rig will look with a BL, then go with what u like. 1,2 or 3 in bl. go for it!

1st I never get flu shots. 2nd I have built a few jeeps. Here is why I don't like tall body lifts and don't recommend them.

1. They leave no room for expansion in stock hoses.

2. The raise the body higher, duh, however they fail to take into account extra forces that may now be placed on the body. IF the diameter of the bolts was in creased in proportion to the height then it would not be an issues. But that does not happen. It would also mean that new body mounts and frame holes would need fab's. The higher the body is lifted the greater chances it will see sheer force which may cause issues with the taller body lifts.

Think of it this way.. place a pencil in your fist... the more of the pencil you expose the eaiser it is to push over, same idea with a tall body lift.

Rob Whitey 12-05-2010 02:19 PM

1st timer
 
long time lurker, just joined to jump into the body lift battle because it always makes me chuckle.

I've had 3 trucks with body lifts. Complete kits from reputable companies that took everything into account. My trucks were not wheeled hard, but I know a lot of guys with body lifts on their trucks that do. Those are mostly rock crawlers, but I know of one guy with a 3" bl on a Ford Raptor. He wheels it hard, and has even jumped it.

My Jeep does not have a body lift (it's got a long arm kit), but I'm actually thinking of going to smaller springs and doing a body lift to get the COG down.

I finally joined this forum because I'm compelled to ask two questions to the anti-body lift crowd that I wonder each time I read a thread like this.

1) Do you perceive the difference between a "kit" body lift from a reputable manufacturer, and one made up of random parts?

2) If you are so against body lifts because of the possibility of additional stress on the body mounts, does that same concern apply to other modifications? For example, larger tires = more rotating mass, which is harder to stop. Are you against bigger tires because they compromise the factory brake system was not designed for them? Are you also against suspension lifts because the put more stress on the factory control arm mounts then they were designed for?

I've seen just about every part of a vehicle fail. On my list of things that I worry about on a vehicle, a properly designed and installed body lift is not one.

Wrangler1212 12-05-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Whitey (Post 909370)
long time lurker, just joined to jump into the body lift battle because it always makes me chuckle.

I've had 3 trucks with body lifts. Complete kits from reputable companies that took everything into account. My trucks were not wheeled hard, but I know a lot of guys with body lifts on their trucks that do. Those are mostly rock crawlers, but I know of one guy with a 3" bl on a Ford Raptor. He wheels it hard, and has even jumped it.

My Jeep does not have a body lift (it's got a long arm kit), but I'm actually thinking of going to smaller springs and doing a body lift to get the COG down.

I finally joined this forum because I'm compelled to ask two questions to the anti-body lift crowd that I wonder each time I read a thread like this.

1) Do you perceive the difference between a "kit" body lift from a reputable manufacturer, and one made up of random parts?

2) If you are so against body lifts because of the possibility of additional stress on the body mounts, does that same concern apply to other modifications? For example, larger tires = more rotating mass, which is harder to stop. Are you against bigger tires because they compromise the factory brake system was not designed for them? Are you also against suspension lifts because the put more stress on the factory control arm mounts then they were designed for?

I've seen just about every part of a vehicle fail. On my list of things that I worry about on a vehicle, a properly designed and installed body lift is not one.

well said. glad to see the number of well informed advocates is growing.

by all means, if someone has factual experiences to share regarding lift failures of any type, please share it. after all thats the point of these forums. everyone has an opinion, i just get sick of the band wagon followers.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 AM.