Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Soft Top problems (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/soft-top-problems-71148.html)

marc1kim 12-05-2010 01:02 PM

Soft Top problems
 
Been plagued with a problem since I bought my heep, and it gets worse in cold weather. I'm thinking the factory top wasnt made right from the get-go.

It's lifting up from the drivers rear and wont stay latched, and by the drivers door it protrudes forward and has caused some paint wear on my door.
Short of replacing it (everything is still in great shape), is there anything I can do to remedy this?

It's the sunrider top for LJ with tinted glass.
Excuse the dirt, my jeep needs a bath, here are some pics:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...faded/top3.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...faded/top1.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...faded/top2.jpg

jp2611 12-05-2010 01:20 PM

May not matter, and I see you have had several jeeps-when raising/reinstalling soft top-do you align to the rear of the jeep and center of back window? Had similar issues mine moving around letting air moisture in at back window driver's side and as a fix "adjusted" when tucking the belt rail in back. Just a thought.

jasonwrangler 12-05-2010 01:20 PM

just push or pull it towards the rear with brute force.

Big Jeff 12-05-2010 01:24 PM

Shorten the distance between the last two bows. This will cause the rear bow to lift upwards making the top short in the rear.

marc1kim 12-05-2010 02:04 PM

I can push down on the back bow from the outside to latch it, but I think there's too much upward tension pulling it up ward. It caused the plastic hook on the canvas to warp into a curved position where it really doesnt grab.

The first time I took the top down, I thought it would fix itself when I put the top back on, but the problem was still there. Maybe the top is a hair shorter on the driverside, than on the left to cause the back to pull up?

jasonwrangler 12-05-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marc1kim (Post 909356)
I can push down on the back bow from the outside to latch it, but I think there's too much upward tension pulling it up ward. It caused the plastic hook on the canvas to warp into a curved position where it really doesnt grab.

The first time I took the top down, I thought it would fix itself when I put the top back on, but the problem was still there. Maybe the top is a hair shorter on the driverside, than on the left to cause the back to pull up?

mine was shorter one side than the other cuz the rear roof bar was bent on the driver side. I bent it back up the canvas ended up shorter so I just used brute force pulled it down
the plastic on mine comes out a bit too it would never stay in there fully.

JEEPIN_DOG 12-05-2010 02:14 PM

Mine is so tight on the passenger side it makes the back window zipper jump the track. How do you "adjust" the tension?

jasonwrangler 12-05-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPIN_DOG (Post 909363)
Mine is so tight on the passenger side it makes the back window zipper jump the track. How do you "adjust" the tension?

a bit of heat?
I do remember it says in the manual dont unzip the windows when its cold.:cool:

marc1kim 12-13-2010 12:22 AM

I made a V shaped wedge out of carboard stuck it in the soft top "hook" part and tucked it all into the belt rail, and it's been holding. Thinking maybe eventually the top will stretch a little in time to fix the problem.

JEEPIN_DOG 12-15-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonwrangler (Post 909365)
a bit of heat?
I do remember it says in the manual dont unzip the windows when its cold.:cool:

It does it in all temps. Worse when cooler though. I think it has more to do with the tension of the bars/supports.

Thanks though! :(


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.