Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Jeep makes many weird noises after wheeling?

3K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  gotpepsi 
#1 ·
So sense ive just recently got my new to me jeep ive been wheeling everyday in the desert. Its been pretty fun but i've started to notice weird noises coming outta my jeep now. Ater i get it out of 4wd i hear a rattling noise under my jeep at the DS's that goes away when i blimp the gas. Also a annoying squeaking noise when the jeep is cold, in the rear. I was wondering if its anything to be concern about?

#2 ·
I have the same rattle coming from front ds/transfer case area. Some guys told me to check the transfer case linkage but it appeared thats not it. So i'm guessing it could be my driveshaft?? Mine does not go away when I give it gas. Its always there and gets worse when I speed up. It happened after an all day wheeling trip to raush creek. Curious to see what yours is, i'm sure mine is related.

#3 ·
hum, i dont know i guess it must be nothing sense we are both getting it. Anyways gotta post pics of my jeep that i barely got, still learning about all the noises that come with it.

After those pics the trails got pretty tight, pretty soon my jeep is going to have pin stripes all the way down the sides lol

#5 ·
lol a jeep in its natural habitat is what my girlfriend always says when i hear those bushest squealing on my paint. Oh well, anyways the squeaks and rattles that im hearing from my jeep is nothing to worry about i assume? are the DS's enclosed? or can dirt and dust get into the grease causing it to stick? how about the brakes? could they squeak when cold from dirt and dust and goes away when warmed?

#6 ·
Not sure about the drive shafts, but I have had my brakes squeal after wheeling. It usually goes away after a bit of driving on pavement after all the dust/dirt is off the rotors. As for having it go away and then come back...that isn't something i've encountered.

#8 ·
Is the Jeep lifted? Try rolling backwards 20 feet or so after shifting out of 4WD. See if that stops the sound. If it does, take a look at the t-case linkage, it sounds like it is not dissengaging the front half of the t-case fully.
D51

#10 ·
Well i found the noise that rattles, its the exhaust rattling, i went underneith the jeep and started hitting my pipes and it rattled like i would hear when the jeep is on, and at around certain rpms, 1100k and 2100 k rpm it rattles. And for the squeak in the mornings i have no idea.
This is what i found out:
Pace of squeak rises at 20mph all the way till 40 where it is a constant squeak.
The squeak does not pulse
the jeep can roll in Netural, or in gear, the squeak is the same.
Squeak goes away after about 4 mins of driving
Squeak only appears when the engine or jeep is cold
Squeak does is not the timing belt because i popped the hood and reved the engine no squeak..
Interesting..

#11 ·
Well i think i found the other squeak, its the front drive shaft that is squeaking. When i got under the jeep and twisted the drive shafts manually i can hear the front one making a squeak. Also when coasting and turning the jeep off, the squeak is still there so i dont think it has anything to do with the engine. Is it normal for the front shaft to squeak when turning it by hand? i think if i can hear it when im turning it, it must be alot louder once its acually rotating. If so what damage can this cause? Im debating weather to get that fixed, or getting new tires, sense one of them has a nail near the side wall.

:(

#13 ·
what does this rubber boot like like? i see a rubber cover on my driveshaft and its being held tightly with a metal band. I think ill just take it in tomorrow and explain the the guys the sound i hear. I dont think it'll be a big price to grease the center ball on the CV joint. Do you have to take anything apart? what if i leave it alone?

#16 ·
If i get the CV joint greased, and the U-joints replaced, how much do you think that'll run me, i dont know how to do it myself. Im hoping around 200$.. Sense the jeep has 90k miles i dont think the U Joints were replaced before. If i replace the front U-joints, and get the CV joint greased i just hope the noise goes away. its not that the noise bothers me, i just dont want anything to cease up, sense this is my daily driver and all. I always run it on the high way.

#18 ·
Haha oh god what am i saying i know what your talking about, i must have been reading your post wrong, and was thinking that the CV joint was the U joint again, but what you describe should be an easy fix than. What i dont understand is how dust/dirt going under the rubber boot? Also how would adding grease to the CV joint help any? isnt the rubber boot already filled with grease? hopefully it works than im getting some new goodyear wrangler silent armor tires!

Lol and i did wash it! like four times!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.