Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Questions about my Rubicon

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Explorer_of_the_Void 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I am new to this forum as I recently purchased a 2006 Wrangler Rubicon. I do not have a lot of knowledge regarding wranglers so I was hoping some of you can help me with a few questions. I apologize if these questions have been asked before. I performed a search and did not have much luck. Here goes...

1. After rollout, when shifting to 2nd, it's never as smooth as shifting into any other gears, ie(3rd to 4th-5th-6th). All other gears shift smoothly. No grinding or popping out, just a little rougher than any other shifts. Is this normal with the Rubicon tranny?

2. When in reverse at roughly 3-5MPH and I brake to stop and apply clutch, you can really feel the transmission going back into neutral (and even hear it). Is this something normal?

3. Anything I can know/learn about the Rubicon from people who know their stuff? Point me in the direction to look. I love this truck and these small things are just concerning me a bit.

truck has 58k on her.

Thanks you.

See less See more
#3 ·
1. sounds like a syncro. the rubicon has the same tranny as any other jeep.

2. the transmission does not go into neutral when you press the clutch so im not real sure what you're talking about.

#5 ·
I know the Rubicon has the same tranny as my X. Its a 6-speed correct? I know there are known issues with the 1-2 shift. Mine grinds a bit if its cold and I dont go really slow or double clutch it. If you search you can find people that have solved the problem. And for the clutch issue mine also does the same thing....it kind of makes a clicking sound? Ive heard that is normal with our clutches.

#7 ·
Correct. 6 Spd. If there are known issues that makes me feel a little better. How have you solved the issue? Do you know where we can find info on how people solved the problem? It's not a HUGE deal but I just bought the truck 2 weeks ago. Didn't seem to notice it as much on the initial test drive. Thanks for the help guys.

#11 ·
1. If you have the stock tires on it, there's no need to start in 1st, use 2nd. Gear ratios for the NSG-370 are: 4.46, 2.61, 1.72, 1.25, 1.00, 0.84 for first through sixth. The jump from first to second is the largest; therefore, it is not as smooth.

2. What do you feel/hear? Are you shifting the lever into neutral when this occurs?

#12 ·
Mine is a little hesitant going into 2nd or 3rd gear when its cold. I had forgotton about it until you mentioned it. It's either gonna get worse, therefore needing repair, or its gonna stay the same, no big deal. Now I've just forgotton about it, again.

#13 ·
With the 6 speed rubicon, 1st gear is a creeper gear. It's for slow crawling off road. You're supposed to start off in second gear when you're on the street.

The cool thing is that when you're off road, you can put it in 4 low, put it in 1st, and just let the engine idle. It will creep forward at 0.5 mph and crawl over ANYTHING without you having to touch the gas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.