Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   TJ Tech Forum (
-   -   Transfer Case (

MR53LFD35TRUCT 12-10-2010 06:08 PM

Transfer Case
Does anybody have any idea why my Transfer case is not allowing me to stay in 4 wheel High? I have a 1998 TJ 2.5L with Automatic Transmission. This morning I was driving in the snow and I put it in 4H while in neutral. I pulled out of my drive and about a quarter mile down the road I started hearing grinding? Could it be my linkage? 2H and 4L work great, it's only 4H that's giving me problems.

tealj97 12-10-2010 06:35 PM

I had the same problem out in the trail in my '97 2.5l. It had worked fine other trips but when i put in 4H the transfer case would start grinding in 2nd gear. 4L worked perfect.

I noticed that I had a habit of yanking the shifter into 4H, so by "feeling" the positions of the shifter in different ranges I noticed that when I yanked the shifter I always shifted a little past the engagement point. I tried slowly shifting up from 2H and right when I felt it engage into 4H I stopped. I started driving, 1st gear was good, 2nd was good, and so on

hope this helps

MR53LFD35TRUCT 12-12-2010 10:09 AM

Thank you tealj97! I can't believe I was too stupid to try that. I tried it yesterday and everything works great. This is a great community of people! Thanx again!