Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Rear Differential Pinion Seal and Rear Engine Seal (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/rear-differential-pinion-seal-and-rear-engine-seal-72134.html)

fjd24 12-14-2010 09:23 AM

Rear Differential Pinion Seal and Rear Engine Seal

This site has been great so far. Awesome info! I have another question for the professionals. Got under my 06 Rubicon today and noticed that around my rear engine seal that there was some wetness. Not leaking to the ground but certainly not a tight seal. Same thing when I got back to the rear differential pinion seal. No dripping just wet. I bought the truck about a month ago. Didn't really notice it at the dealership. I called them up to see if something like that would be covered under my certified pre-owned warranty and they told me that it may not be a big deal. They said it is common at times to see wetness around the seals and replacing them may sometimes not fix the problem, or even do more harm than good. Again, I have no dripping to the ground, just not a tight seal. My main concern is I do not want things to get progressively worse. What do you guys think???Truck has 60k on her and has never been pushed. All stock.

Ray - San Jose 12-14-2010 11:11 AM

Mine seaps a little as well. I don't worry about it unless it's actually leaking.

RyCa 12-14-2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjd24
This site has been great so far. Awesome info! I have another question for the professionals. Got under my 06 Rubicon today and noticed that around my rear engine seal that there was some wetness. Not leaking to the ground but certainly not a tight seal. Same thing when I got back to the rear differential pinion seal. No dripping just wet. I bought the truck about a month ago. Didn't really notice it at the dealership. I called them up to see if something like that would be covered under my certified pre-owned warranty and they told me that it may not be a big deal. They said it is common at times to see wetness around the seals and replacing them may sometimes not fix the problem, or even do more harm than good. Again, I have no dripping to the ground, just not a tight seal. My main concern is I do not want things to get progressively worse. What do you guys think???Truck has 60k on her and has never been pushed. All stock.

They're blowing smoke up your "tailpipe." You need to have a tight seal on everything, that's why they call them seals. If you cross any water higher than your diffy, there's a chance water can get in there. Water is bad, obviously. It's an easy fix. I just replaced my rear pinion seal, and diffy fluid/seal. If it's under warranty put the dealership to work. In my opinion they will say and do anything to get out of warranty work. Find all issues and have them repair it ASAP. Oh, and congratulations on the new Rubi! You'll love it!

Mortalis5509 12-14-2010 04:09 PM

Same problem on the front of my Rubi.