Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Squeaking CV Joint?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/squeaking-cv-joint-72144.html)

newIRONsides 12-14-2010 11:17 AM

Squeaking CV Joint??

My wrangler started squeaking pretty bad a few weeks ago. It started a day or two after I went offroading. It's a metallic squeaking noise that is only present when the wheels are rolling (i.e. car must be moving, not just in gear or turned on). I took it to one place and we put it on a lift. The squeaking wasn't present when the wheels spun on the lift if that tells you anything.

Anyway, another place I took it to is saying it's probably a bad CV joint. Everything I hear about CV joints is that they make a "grumbling" or clicking noise and that it occurs when turning, at least in the beginning.:confused:

Is this my problem??? Or is there another culprit.

Wrangler 06, 4" lift, 35s.

Thanks for any help!

Schmo 12-14-2010 11:58 AM

Pretty good chance it is the CV joint. Do you have CV DriveShafts F&R? If so, what kind of rear shaft do you have and does it have a greasable center ball? I've got Tom Wood's DS F&R and they are fully greasable . . . and you really have to keep on top of that Center Ball and keep it lubed or it'll wear out pretty quick. I already had the rear rebuilt once after the center ball went bad and noticed a noise a few weeks ago and am hoping that I caught it in time and got grease in there before it started to wear . . . so far so good . . . I've put about 600 miles on it and the noise has not returned . . . last time I didn't know what the noise was or that I was supposed to grease the center ball and about 200 miles after first noticing the noise, the DS was flopping all over the place, had a ton of play and I was lucky it didn't come loose on me. I also replaced the stock front DS after having a case of the "angry sparrows" (a chirping, squeaking noise, that usually means the center ball in the front DS is going bad).

A word of caution . . . a DS failure can cause big time damage and be very dangerous . . . figure it out and address the issue quick. Luckily it's pretty easy to diagnose . . . pull the rear shaft and drive around in 4x4 if you think it's the rear . . . if it's still there put the rear back on and pull the front off. Could be something else, but I'd start by checking the DS as it's a pretty easy to diagnose if that is the issue.

jasonwrangler 12-14-2010 12:12 PM

CV joints? dont TJ's have U-joints?
Im thinking the wheel bearings.

jeepjones 12-14-2010 12:20 PM

It could be the front wheel bearing hub units, front axle shaft U joints,drive shaft u joints or the Double Cardan Joint (which is a type of CV) at the transfer case. If you have a SYE it might be the double cardan on the rear drive shaft.

geiman 12-14-2010 12:52 PM

Same situation; after a day at Rausch Creek I would get a chirping/squeaking as the tires rotated. Turned out to be the CV on my front drive shaft. Took the front drive shaft off and drove it to make sure; it probably needs to be rebuilt, but after cleaning it and re-greasing it as best as I could (no grease fittings on stock CV for a 98 TJ) it doesn't squeak anymore. We hit more mud that day than usual, so I'm guessing I just managed to get the CV pretty dirty and it needed to be cleaned. I've got parts on the way to rebuild it since they are relatively cheap, but its been fine for about 2 weeks now. Search for angry sparrows and you should find a good bit of information (if thats your problem as well).

JimM 12-14-2010 08:13 PM

I had the angry sparrow too when I first bought mine. 2 front hubs, front axle ujoints, front driveshaft u joint and front driveshaft CV later all is quiet.

One of the front axle joints was really bad.

The CV joint wasn't, until I tried to clean it and spit needle bearings all over my garage floor.

fire239 12-14-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newIRONsides (Post 923199)
My wrangler started squeaking pretty bad a few weeks ago. It started a day or two after I went offroading. It's a metallic squeaking noise that is only present when the wheels are rolling (i.e. car must be moving, not just in gear or turned on). I took it to one place and we put it on a lift. The squeaking wasn't present when the wheels spun on the lift if that tells you anything.

Anyway, another place I took it to is saying it's probably a bad CV joint. Everything I hear about CV joints is that they make a "grumbling" or clicking noise and that it occurs when turning, at least in the beginning.:confused:

Is this my problem??? Or is there another culprit.

Wrangler 06, 4" lift, 35s.

Thanks for any help!

You are thinking of a CV joint like in a front wheel drive car. Jeeps have a U-Joint style front shaft as stock. (True CV shafts are available aftermarket) The CV the mechanic was refering to was probably the CV joint in your front driveshaft. There is a constant velocity joint just before the transfer case. Also, the u-joints in the front shafts can wear out and make noise, as can the front unit bearings. Search for front axle shaft noises and "angry sparrows", you'll probably get your answers.

newIRONsides 12-15-2010 12:34 AM

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepjones (Post 923279)
It could be the front wheel bearing hub units, front axle shaft U joints,drive shaft u joints or the Double Cardan Joint (which is a type of CV) at the transfer case. If you have a SYE it might be the double cardan on the rear drive shaft.

Looks like it is most likely the double cardan joint at the transfer case that you were referring to. Getting it taken care of this friday. I'll let you guys know what the result is.

Thanks everyone for the awesome rapid info!!

Jerry Bransford 12-15-2010 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonwrangler (Post 923266)
CV joints? dont TJ's have U-joints?

He's talking about the front driveshaft where there is indeed a CV joint at the t-case end of it.

Once a sealed (as the factory builds it) CV goes bad, it needs to be replaced. I simply would take the front driveshaft to your local driveshaft repair shop (there are 2 within 10 miles of my house and 4-5 within 30 miles so there are likely a few close to you) and have them rebuild it, and specify they use Spicer parts. :)