Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Smittybilt XRC8 Winch Install Help (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/smittybilt-xrc8-winch-install-help-72152.html)

Redjeepmormon 12-14-2010 12:29 PM

Smittybilt XRC8 Winch Install Help

Hey everyone, I am about to pick up my new winch. I have never installed a winch before and the store wanted $150 for install. All I could say to that was :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: So now here I am... Does anyone have a good write up for a winch install? If not one for the XRC8, maybe one that is similar? Tools/equipment needed? Oh and it is being installed on a stock 2000 tj bumper (yes I bought a winch plate). I'd really appreciate the help, thanks everyone.
:punk:

BowlerGT 12-14-2010 03:29 PM

4-6 bolts to hold the winch plate depending on what kind you bought. My XRC8 came with really good detailed instructions kind of hard to mess up. Theres a positive and a negative to go to the battery, there are 4 wires coming off the control box and each is marked with a letter, match it up on the winch. On mine I bolted the winch to the plate first, helps to have a second set of hands to lift it on

Redjeepmormon 12-14-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowlerGT
4-6 bolts to hold the winch plate depending on what kind you bought. My XRC8 came with really good detailed instructions kind of hard to mess up. Theres a positive and a negative to go to the battery, there are 4 wires coming off the control box and each is marked with a letter, match it up on the winch. On mine I bolted the winch to the plate first, helps to have a second set of hands to lift it on

Thanks! I was worried that the direction were going to be crummy. It's good to know they are easy to understand

ALASKA99TJ 12-14-2010 03:57 PM

i fabbed my own winch plate and guard, but went one step further and instead of winch straight to the battery put in a relay and 2 toggles on my dash one to turn it on and one to run the cable in and out. the wiring is pretty simple and can be done in an afternoon.

Mortalis5509 12-14-2010 04:19 PM

All of the cables have letters on them and their corresponding letters on the winch tell you where they go. Example A wire from the sinolid goes to A post on the winch. I just installed mine a week ago.

Redjeepmormon 12-14-2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALASKA99TJ
i fabbed my own winch plate and guard, but went one step further and instead of winch straight to the battery put in a relay and 2 toggles on my dash one to turn it on and one to run the cable in and out. the wiring is pretty simple and can be done in an afternoon.

That sounds awesome! I'm not too good with wiring though :/

TJDave 12-14-2010 08:39 PM

Install the cables on the winch before you mount it to the plate. Including the little black ground wire. It will save you some time inventing new words, unless you have very skinny long fingers.:)

chamblin 12-14-2010 10:39 PM

As others have said it's a pretty easy install. My only advice is to make sure and seat the cable preoperly before using it.