Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Gonna tackle a lift install?!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/gonna-tackle-a-lift-install-72241.html)

steves92 12-15-2010 01:53 AM

Gonna tackle a lift install?!!

Just wondering HOW difficult this could possibly be? I have read all the forums about lift kits and was wondering if somebody with mechanical ability can install a lift kit-I've been around tools and am a mechanical assember/pipefitter by trade....anything I should really worry about? Not really into paying sombody to do this.:wavey:

bobjenkins 12-15-2010 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steves92
Just wondering HOW difficult this could possibly be? I have read all the forums about lift kits and was wondering if somebody with mechanical ability can install a lift kit-I've been around tools and am a mechanical assember/pipefitter by trade....anything I should really worry about? Not really into paying sombody to do this.:wavey:

Depends on the kit but I don't think the smaller less involved kits would be too hard too install

steves92 12-15-2010 02:12 AM

Thats what I wanted to hear...thanks for the reinforcement...probably the Rough Country budget lift-4"

bobjenkins 12-15-2010 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steves92
Thats what I wanted to hear...thanks for the reinforcement...probably the Rough Country budget lift-4"

hardest part is probably compressing the springs, and you just need the right tools

Lawngnome 12-15-2010 02:29 AM

I'm going to be in the same position this spring so I'm also curious. I have heard mixed reviews about RC. Personally I'm torn between Zone and Skyjacker economy both 4".

MikeMTJ 12-15-2010 02:59 AM

I guess I'll give you my experience with the 4" RC lift.

To start, the instructions are alright. They don't really explain how to put the leaf springs on, and they leave out a few various things. Nothing major, and nothing you can't get past. The biggest problems I ran into were rust. If you can manage to replace something, just cut it off. It will save you hours, and I mean hours of time. I used an angle grinder on the leaf springs, shocks, sway bar links, and possible a few other things. You will more than likely have issues taking your pitman arm off. I suggest cutting it off, or trying your best with a pitman arm puller. Mine stripped my puller, and I had a shop take it off. Second problem I ran into was the column shifter linkage not being aligned right. This might effect you with an automatic. Third issue was steering. Your jeep will need a front end re alignment after the lift is installed. My jeep still has issues with the steering, but I believe that the steering box has something to do with it.

Allow yourself a lot more time then what they think it will take. If it's your first time installing a lift, it will take you longer then 5-6 hours. Allow for a couple days if it's your daily driver. Also, Rough Country's customer support is fantastic. The quality of their parts is pretty high as well.

If you don't own an angle grinder, buy one. Money well spent.

Be happy you have square headlights, because lifting my families TJ was a lot more difficult, and more expensive then my YJ.

YJPunisher213 12-15-2010 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMYJ (Post 925093)

IT MAKES PRETTY SPARKS!!!! :blunt:

Perpendicular 12-15-2010 08:10 AM

Subscribed. :)

turdhurdler 12-15-2010 10:06 AM

Looking at your avatar info it says you are in CA. That can be a big bonus for you since CA does not generally salt the roads and rust may not be a giant issue. My YJ was on factory springs when I got it a couple of years ago and being a CA car, almost everything came off without too much hassle. Like MikeMYJ stated, you will probably have to cut off your pitman arm or pay a shop. I don't like giving money to someone to do what I can do myself.

The install of the RC 4" lift is pretty straight forward and not a lot of parts involved. A weekend with a couple of friends and pizza and your favorite beverage and you should be fine. Good luck.

Jeff

bobjenkins 12-15-2010 12:01 PM

Don't forget to do some light stretching before you attempt to compress your shocks. Don't want a blown or torn pelvis

MikeMTJ 12-15-2010 02:39 PM

Luckily the shop that I had my alignment done at pulled my pitman arm for free. Just don't use to much heat when trying to take it off. You could ruin the seals on your steering box.

Peepers 12-15-2010 02:45 PM

Its all about having the right tools and patience. and Don't thow anything away till its all back together and working... I've probablt run up a several thousand dollar budget of buying new parts becasue I threw away something that was supposed to be reused. I'll learn eventually...

Nice avatar too. lol

steves92 12-15-2010 08:54 PM

Thanks for the input...can't wait to get the lift and start! Will post some pics later, probably after X-mas. I love this website.

jkaufman_95 12-15-2010 11:09 PM

That avitar is the background on my phone

Norituck 12-16-2010 03:51 AM

I did my RC 4" lift a few weeks ago..Air impact wrench and angle grinder were my best friends. With your mechanical ability I think you'll be fine. I'm not sure what springs Bob is talking about compressing...This is for a YJ right?

Vaultzz 12-16-2010 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norituck (Post 927425)
I did my RC 4" lift a few weeks ago..Air impact wrench and angle grinder were my best friends. With your mechanical ability I think you'll be fine. I'm not sure what springs Bob is talking about compressing...This is for a YJ right?

I think he was referring to trying to compress a shock between your knees.

...I think :confused:

YJ's have shocks too ;)

jgano23 12-16-2010 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaultzz

YJ's have shocks too ;)

CJ's and YJ's have them but they are only for show, the have mo function. :D

Vaultzz 12-16-2010 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgano23 (Post 927461)
CJ's and YJ's have them but they are only for show, the have mo function. :D

So then my shocks not being able to move is the way it's supposed to be? :rofl:

rightjab 12-16-2010 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMYJ (Post 925093)
I guess I'll give you my experience with the 4" RC lift.

Allow yourself a lot more time then what they think it will take. If it's your first time installing a lift, it will take you longer then 5-6 hours. Allow for a couple days if it's your daily driver. Also, Rough Country's customer support is fantastic. The quality of their parts is pretty high as well.

x2

I blew way more time than i should have putting on my 4" BDS lift when an angle grinder, an impact hammer and a pickle fork would have made my life so much simpler...

tailwinds11kts 12-16-2010 12:12 PM

I just got done installing my RC 4" on a 95. Holy S--t it kicked my A$$!!!! I was working alone, minimal tools, and the jeep has lived on an island it's entire life (lots of corrosion)!! I think it took me a total of 20 hours over two days to get it done! I had to cut bolts, the pitman arm, and parts of the transfer case drop kit. I also did my tie rod ends while I was down there! The track bar relocation brackets were a bear for me as well, looking back, I just should have removed them! I am stoked though now it's all done, I don't know if I'm happier because it's lifted, or that I know that everything is new under my jeep! I need to get dust boots for my shocks too! I will post pics when I get my tires mounted!!

MikeMTJ 12-16-2010 02:18 PM

Tailwind, I feel ya bud.

tailwinds11kts 12-26-2010 06:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm so stoked! 4" RC, new wheels, and 31x10.5 retreads! Smile is from ear to ear!

MikeMTJ 12-26-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tailwinds11kts
I'm so stoked! 4" RC, new wheels, and 31x10.5 retreads! Smile is from ear to ear!

Looks great!

Perpendicular 12-26-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tailwinds11kts (Post 945470)

Looks good man! Truck looks just right.

I ordered my kit a couple of days ago so it will be a week till it arrives. I may start a new post on the installation so others can see how hard / not hard the installation is.

afrats 12-26-2010 10:45 AM

Just remember...PB Blaster is your friend. When I did mine I didn' pre-spray anything. It makes it a lot easier if you soak all the bolts in PB Blaster about a day out. Everything will break loose easier. Have fun!!!!

whiteyj 12-26-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjenkins (Post 925067)
hardest part is probably compressing the springs, and you just need the right tools

There are no springs to compress on a YJ. The leafspring lift is best accomplished by a combination of jack stands under the frame and a floor jack under the axle.

Take your time and enjoy. You'll be glad you did it. Learn so much about the under workings of the suspension and how things are supposed to look before any trail carnage.

The 4" RC is a popular lift for the YJ.

MikeMTJ 12-26-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afrats
Just remember...PB Blaster is your friend. When I did mine I didn' pre-spray anything. It makes it a lot easier if you soak all the bolts in PB Blaster about a day out. Everything will break loose easier. Have fun!!!!

Just remember to not spend to much time breaking a bolt. If you can afford to replace it, cut it off.