Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Snapped Ring and Pinion Fair Cost?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/snapped-ring-and-pinion-fair-cost-72348.html)

kilz42 12-16-2010 08:23 AM

Snapped Ring and Pinion Fair Cost??

Hey guys and gals,

Whats a fair price for a mechanic to change the front ring and pinion? He will have to install a new master bearing kit in addition to the ring and pinion. I would do it myself...but I'm not experienced enough and from what I understand it can be a very tricky business. :9lame: I also needed my axle ujoints and my drive shaft ujoints replaced. I bought the parts and he said he could do the labor for $220 with me helping him. Does that sound pretty fair?

Thanks in advance :)

Mr. Sinister 12-16-2010 08:32 AM

sounds a little steep to me if you're getting your hands dirty. i had my entire rear end rebuilt from the bottom up in my 55 for $250 (not including parts). the guy that did it is a friend though.
i've had gear installs done on other vehicles for $100. ujoints are fairly easy to replace.

bOATSUN 12-16-2010 09:52 AM

Cost is what you can aford. Use this as a learning lesson so you can help another Jeeper in the future

Ibuildembig 12-16-2010 09:55 AM

I pro shop will get between 200-300 depending. A front axle is alot more in depth than a rearend.

kilz42 12-16-2010 12:11 PM

I agree with Ibuildembig... From what I understand it is a bit more in depth than the rear end. The shop were gonna do the fix at is a pro shop... Which sucks cause it does add to cost. I think I can get him to take a bit more off of cost because I'll be doing the ujoint changes to the front driveshaft and the axles while he is working on the pinion. The 3 bolts that hold the wheel hubs on are 12 point 13mm heads right? I can change a ujoint or two no problem... Just didn't want to overpay for the ring and pinion installation. And because I'm buying all new bearings and shims that should make his job a bit easier I would think.

Ibuildembig 12-16-2010 12:18 PM

Yes that will help, but its still alot of in and out with the chunk to get the pinion depth correct, and the side to side clearance.

72fj40 12-16-2010 02:03 PM

Replacing bearings will only add to labor cost & shims are required to do the job. whether you supply them or not. If he is breaking down the frtend then he will be removing calipers, rotors, driveshaft & unit bearings anyways, or is he doing just the bearing labor & R/P setup only? Frt & rear R/P setups are going to require about the same labor. It just takes more time to break the frt end down than the rearend. If he has all the proper tools for R/P setup, then that helps eliminate trial & error. He may get the setup right the 1st time. You need to figure out what exactly he is doing & what you are doing, to come up w/the right labor.

kilz42 12-16-2010 02:22 PM

As of right now I just want him to set up the ring and pinion. I'll take care of the ujoints. He doesn't have to disassemble the axle to do the ring and pinion does he? I thought you could do all that just by taking off the diff cover

Ibuildembig 12-16-2010 02:23 PM

You have to take the axle shafts out before the gears will come out

Mr. Sinister 12-16-2010 02:36 PM

how much more in depth can it be? the only difference is the steering gear. a couple extra bolts, not a big deal. most of the steering gear doesn't need to be dissembled to pull the axles.
Dana 30 exploded view image by sodapop_yj on Photobucket

Ibuildembig 12-16-2010 02:43 PM

Ya mean the front versus rear? Umm alot more time. A rear all you have to do is pop the cover, remove the c-clips, push the axles into the tubes a few inches, pop the carrier bolts out and remove the chunk.

A front axle, you have to remove the tires, hubs, rotors, axle shafts, and possibly the lower tie rod as well.

72fj40 12-16-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilz42 (Post 928220)
As of right now I just want him to set up the ring and pinion. I'll take care of the ujoints. He doesn't have to disassemble the axle to do the ring and pinion does he? I thought you could do all that just by taking off the diff cover

If he's a pro, I'm suprised he will let you help. I think you'd be slowing him down. In his line of work time is money. I'd probably only let you do the Ujoints & axlejoints & that's only if you have had experience replacing Ujoints b4.

Mr. Sinister 12-16-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 928260)
Ya mean the front versus rear? Umm alot more time. A rear all you have to do is pop the cover, remove the c-clips, push the axles into the tubes a few inches, pop the carrier bolts out and remove the chunk.

A front axle, you have to remove the tires, hubs, rotors, axle shafts, and possibly the lower tie rod as well.

uh, you really should be removing the same stuff from the rear axles as well. you know, if you're into doing it the right way and all...... :D

kilz42 12-16-2010 02:56 PM

He is a pro but also a friend. He's doing the work for me on a Saturday and honoring me by letting me watch and learn. So it's more of a favor than anything else. Im thinking he doesn't want to waste time on the ujoints so I'll do those. Not a huge deal... Just wanted a fair price.

72fj40 12-16-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister (Post 928275)
uh, you really should be removing the same stuff from the rear axles as well. you know, if you're into doing it the right way and all...... :D

Please explain?

The frt has more "stuff".

Mr. Sinister 12-16-2010 03:11 PM

if he's breaking the whole axle down to do a bearing and seal overhaul, you have to take everything apart anyway, front or rear. he's not removing the axle housing, he's yanking the guts.
i didn't say the front doesn't have more stuff, what i did say is it doesn't have so much more stuff that it should justify a big difference in cost, especially to a experienced mechanic. if he's charging you buy the hour, it shouldn't take too much longer than the rear. if he's charging you on the "pain in the ass scale", then i can see it.
either way, it's not an unfair price, just sounded a little high to me. like i mentioned, i have friends that are mechanics who can do the work for me that i cannot, which usually isn't much.

look at the link i posted above. most of that stuff doesn't have to come "apart" to do the job, it just needs to be removed or moved out of the way.

Mr. Sinister 12-16-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilz42 (Post 928282)
He is a pro but also a friend. He's doing the work for me on a Saturday and honoring me by letting me watch and learn. So it's more of a favor than anything else. Im thinking he doesn't want to waste time on the ujoints so I'll do those. Not a huge deal... Just wanted a fair price.

always good to watch and learn. take note of how much disassembly he actually has to do to get the front axle apart. it's not as much as you might think.

Ibuildembig 12-16-2010 03:16 PM

but a master rebuild kit has nothing to do with axle bearings/seals

Mr. Sinister 12-16-2010 03:19 PM

unless it's actually a master bearing kit, like detailed in the first post.

Ibuildembig 12-16-2010 03:24 PM

I have been doing gearswaps for over 13 years and have yet to see a differential master kit include axle bearings and seals....even the Yukon kits don't include that

Mr. Sinister 12-16-2010 03:27 PM

this is the yukon kit i used in my 55:
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDet...spx?ProdID=789

i did buy the axle bearings and seal separate.
i'm not going to argue semantics here, but he said he was replacing the bearings, so i went with the information i was given.

kilz42 12-16-2010 05:06 PM

Guys guys... Not a pissing contest. Just a "let's find the right price thing". I bought a pinion bearing master kit - it does NOT include seals for the axle or axle bearings. Just for the pinion. All he is doing is replacing the ring and pinion for me and replacing a few bearings and the pinion seal at the rear of the diff. As I understand it, he will have to take off the tires, the calipers, pads, roters, pop off the 3 bolts holding the hub assembly on and then remove the inner axles without detaching the hubs. At that point I will replace the ujoints while he does the work in the pumpkin. Sounds like he'll have everything taken apart that I would need to do the ujoint replacement so that kills 2 birds with one stone. The way it's looking is that $220 is a pretty fair price considering I'm learning and helping where I can.

Mr. Sinister 12-16-2010 05:10 PM

NO!!!!!!! *urinates*

this is just how ibuildembig and i do each other. we're both closet ford guys. :D

kilz42 12-16-2010 05:30 PM

Oh! Hahaha I thought you all were about to tear each others throats out lol :) you mentioning the "Ford closet" makes everything fall into place....... Haha :) seriously I appreciate all you guy's helping out.

Ibuildembig 12-17-2010 09:16 AM

Speak for yourself on the whole in the closet thing :P I'm not ashamed of being a ford man :D

Mr. Sinister 12-17-2010 11:22 AM

i was damn close to putting an injected 347 stroker in my 55. that would have really pissed some people off. :D

Ggg 12-17-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 929556)
Speak for yourself on the whole in the closet thing :P I'm not ashamed of being a ford man :D

x2