Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   97 wrangler check engine light on (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/97-wrangler-check-engine-light-on-72436.html)

derrik52 12-17-2010 01:15 AM

97 wrangler check engine light on
 
1997 jeep wrangler 4cyl 2.5l
check engine light on
code reader said:
Camshaft position sensor not getting the 5v

so i replaced it not a cheap part and wasnt easy to get

light still on

its not running right kind of studders when applying the gas so loss of power for sure
at idle drops below 500rpm

ive read alot about this said i might need to check the pcm
im just lost right now need some ideas

jasonwrangler 12-17-2010 02:50 AM

clear the codes see if they come back.

derrik52 12-17-2010 03:20 AM

i did man came right back

rrich 12-17-2010 08:10 AM

""""""Camshaft position sensor not getting the 5v
its not running right kind of studders when applying the gas so loss of power for sure
at idle drops below 500rpm
ive read alot about this said i might need to check the pcm"""""

New sensor says that wasn't the problem.

If the PCM failed to generate the 5 volts other sensors would not operate - it would not run at all.

The cam sensor doesn't need a constant signal to keep running, but if the signal was totally missing it would not stay running. When the RPM changes, the PCM bases some of it's input information on the cam sensor. If it doesn't "see" the sensor's input, it can stumble.

Sounds to me like an intermittent problem, like a broken wire in the harness.

Use a voltmeter to check the 5 volts at the sensor. Shake the harness while watching the meter. Somehow it's been chaffed, stretched, or cut. You'll probably find it visually.

derrik52 12-17-2010 07:16 PM

think its fixed for now
 
Pretty sure i got it fixed the wire harness right by the battery where it plugs into the comp. was covered with battery acid and had eaten through the tape protecting the wires... i peeled back the tape until their was no more acid pored milk on the wires heard it was good thing to use then blew them off no cracked wires but they were kinda swollen what could that mean? taped up the cam pos sensor wire took out the comp cleaned it up blew out all the connectors cleaned the battery which needs to obviously be replaced plugged it all in took it for a good test drive ran amazing and no check engine light on :cool:
glad its fixed thanks for the ideas

but would like to know why the wires are swollen in that area

rrich 12-17-2010 09:51 PM

Corrosion gets between the wire strands swelling them.

Milk won't neutralize the acid, not enough anyway. Strip back the insulation off the corroded area. Wash the bare wires with a strong solution of baking soda. Leave some on it and wrap them up again. If you don't kill the acid left on them, it will eat them again. Next time it may not be so easy to fix.

Put something over the harness to keep more acid from getting on it, like a hunk of plastic as a shield.

When the battery water gets checked, often the "mechanic" slops the water/acid all over the battery. We all need to "klutz proof them."

Or - if the charging voltage is too high it can overheat the battery, causing the acid solution to expand and run out.

derrik52 12-17-2010 10:32 PM

now that i have fixed that problem the jeep is idling at about 800 to 900 rpm at idle is this a normal rpm for it?

rrich 12-18-2010 03:44 AM

When it had a problem the PCM was probably trying to compensate for it. It should settle down in a few miles. But you can clear the memory back to default - leave the battery disconnected overnight - at least 8 hours.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.