Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Must have tools for the garage

18K views 140 replies 57 participants last post by  jkaufman_95 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I have been searching around the forum for the past 30 minutes, and its safe to say either a) i dont know how to search worth a damn, or b) this hasnt been brought up before, which seems odd....

My question is, with me being new to Jeep ownership, what kind of tools are needed for the jeep. Im talking about the trick tools, the cant-live-without tools, any of them. The reason behind all of this is that I love the fact that the jeeps are easier to work on, but the problem is, i have no tools. I do have tools though, to wire any house with cat5 or satellite and any other type of telecommunication needs, but as for the car or Jeep in the driveway, errr not so much.

Yeah sure i have the basic drivers, sockets, screw drivers, drill, etc etc, but im realizing that there is more, much more. I am perfectly aware that i need a Torx set, even to replace a head light, but what else is there?

So, what are some tools that you are all finding that you have in your garage that would give a person a good list to go off to start getting as he makes his trips to the auto store?

#2 ·
Safety wire pliers and long handled needlenose pliers are 2 items i use often that generally are not in a "basic" toolbox. Sometimes a fastener is j--u---s---t out of reach for your fingers or regular pliers if you drop it.

Safety wire pliers may not be needed if you dont off-road a lot though

#3 ·
I used hand me downs from my father for a couple of years. Just this November I finally spent the coin and bought a craftsman set. Definitely worth having every SAE/Metric socket at your disposal. Prior to that I'd find myself running to AZ and buying craps sockets for the sizes I didn't have but needed last minute (ie 18mm seems common on jeeps)

Here's my list for you:
Torque wrench (at least one with foot-lbs, more the merrier but expensive)
Torx bits up to T55 (many only go to T50)
5 Gallon oil catch
Oil filter wrench
Jack and stands
Wheel chock(sp?)
Wire brushes (key for cleaning rusty bolts and nuts)
Antisieze (more of a necessary compound than a tool)
PB Blaster!

I'm sure others will chime in with more

#22 ·
I used hand me downs from my father for a couple of years. Just this November I finally spent the coin and bought a craftsman set. Definitely worth having every SAE/Metric socket at your disposal. Prior to that I'd find myself running to AZ and buying craps sockets for the sizes I didn't have but needed last minute (ie 18mm seems common on jeeps)

Here's my list for you:
Torque wrench (at least one with foot-lbs, more the merrier but expensive)
Torx bits up to T55 (many only go to T50)
5 Gallon oil catch
Oil filter wrench
Jack and stands
Wheel chock(sp?)
Wire brushes (key for cleaning rusty bolts and nuts)
Antisieze (more of a necessary compound than a tool)
PB Blaster!

I'm sure others will chime in with more
definatly a decient socket set(w/asst extensions and universal joint adapters) to get to those easy to reach areas. also the torx is a must-sware the jeep is completely put together with those(homer depot had a husky 3/8 drv set for cheap that went to 55-already had a smaller set) and your typical screw drivers.
a good bottle jack and a 4-way lug wrench to replace the POS under the passenger seat.
at the very least a chilton or haynes comic book or better a FSM for your yr of jeep.
Alot of the other stuff(impact, compressor, torque etc) i've had for as long as i can rem so don't think about it much, but yes, nice to have but not essential. some of the things noted above were things i didn't already have(like the torx) and need for simple things like fluid changes.
if you have any spare change at this time of yr(or put on your santa list) there are alot of good deals on tools at the home improvement, auto parts, and mart stores. the places and departments i have to avoid this time of yr. amazing the things you 'can't live with out' once you see them:D

#4 ·
Part of Jeep ownership is wrenching with your buddies, and said buddies need to be taken care of.

#5 ·
^ already have that taken care of, just not as fancy of a contraptions that this. I have a fridge in the garage that is dedicated only to my beer and the beer i buy and the wifey's wine :D :punk:

#14 ·
Yeah, I'll jump right on those last ones right way to get them off the list in a hurry. Might have a compressor lined up for me, but not sure what condition it is in though or capacity.

#20 ·
schnutzy said:
i feel like out of everything i have. between the work room here, and the garage at the river, those are the single thing i use the most. haha. a good first aid kit is a must. hell, not just in the garage, keep one in the jeep to.
I keep a full first aid kit in my jeep with a rescue tool (seatbelt cutter, window punch, Glass cutter for windshields) and I need to order a new CPR mask.. Never know

#21 ·
you by chance a nurse or in the medical/rescue field? my wife asked for those exact items, plus a rescue bag she can have inventory in it "just in case", shes a nurse.

#24 ·
I can understand what your wife is saying. My med kit is rather complete. IV setups, c-collars, epi-pens, benadryl, oral glucose, trauma dressings, etc. But only a few bandaids, I prefer derma-bond or super glue. Yes I am a Medic.

Back on topic;
I would go to Sears and buy a nice complete SAE & metric set and tool box for a lot less than the Snap-On truck will charge. Air tools and a QUIET compressor are really nice. Good quality jack and 4 good tall jack stands. Florescent work light, test light, multi meter, manual.

#25 ·
yeah, she wants all that wrapped up into a big bright ass red bag. After hearing what she has to go through at the hospitals, and we have another friend that is fireman/medic as well, i have a new found, utmost respect for medics and nurses for sure.

#28 ·
Safety glasses.........and when you get 'em, wear 'em. Thought I'd save some money putting me own shocks on. First turn of the wrench gave me a piece of metal in the eye. All the money I saved putting on my own shocks was spent at the doctor's getting the metal dug out of my eyeball. I know, they don't look cool, wear them when nobody's looking.

#34 ·
Hammerwalk said:
you by chance a nurse or in the medical/rescue field? my wife asked for those exact items, plus a rescue bag she can have inventory in it "just in case", shes a nurse.
Lol nope when I'm 18 I'm gonna be an emt for our local ambulance and I'm one away from eagle scout that's where I learned all my first aid skills CPR/ AED cert. Also

#35 ·
Can't forget duct tape and electrical tape.
Both make great band-aids :D

#36 ·
jkaufman_95 said:
Lol nope when I'm 18 I'm gonna be an emt for our local ambulance and I'm one away from eagle scout that's where I learned all my first aid skills CPR/ AED cert. Also
Right on man! I wanted to be an emt while the wife was in nursing school, but then my IT career finally got the boost it needed. And for your eagle rank, keep it up. That's the one big regret I have from my youth. Not finishing Boy Scouts. Had my life badge, then quit cause it wasn't cool any more. Biggest mistake :-(

As far as the rest, I'm greatly appreciated for all the responses. I'm glad this had an out come that I was hoping for. I think alot of the new owners like my self, that really want to take the reins, tend to get overwhelmed by what they do or don't need as far as tools, tricks, and supplies go to really take off on their own. Such an awesome forum. Glad I found it and became a part of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.