Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Builders Corner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/)
-   -   91 Mangler build (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/91-mangler-build-72890.html)

orangecrush4u 12-21-2010 08:13 AM

91 Mangler build

5 Attachment(s)
Three weeks ago I traded my 95 disco for this 91 wrangler. Kinda a bad mistake maybe on my part due to the wrangler needs a lot of work. The previous owner told me it had issues which I new but it was a little more than I wanted to do and especially with it being around xmas time:zap:. So the jeep needs so far that I know of : engine, tranny rebuild, transfer checked out so I am not doing the job twice, radiator, heater core, complete exhaust, shocks, and fuel pump. So the build starts. I started the tear down yesterday and maybe a little today but its is windy and cold as hell so I will see.:rolleyes:

orangecrush4u 12-21-2010 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well took some of the accessorys off the engine, kinda cold with the wind and my back is bothering me for some reason.:9lame:

redjeeper 12-25-2010 03:08 AM

cool man. keep us updated :cool:

crtaylor 12-25-2010 09:10 AM

thats the only way to yank the motor,right though the front.

b67cuda 12-25-2010 11:58 AM

Good luck - I'll b watchin!!

Robert04231990 12-25-2010 02:29 PM

Yea would love to c how it ends keep us updated

orangecrush4u 01-08-2011 07:51 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well after 2 weeks of nothing I played with removing the driveshafts which all the ujoints are more or less toast, loosened the bolts for the skid plate and dropped the gas tank cause I had a feeling the fuel pump was on the way out. 90% of the bolts including the straps holding the gas tank broke, what else is new.http://www.outlawedoffroad.com/images/smilies/bomb.gif The skid plate for the gas tank is shot too, not sure what to do about that though. I also realised the complete exhaust is shot as well. $$$$$$$ I finally fixed my engine hoist that has been broken for years of people borrow it. I cut off the old rear broken and bound up wheels and put two new ones on. Might do the front two after I pull the engine, want to see how they hold up the weight. Tomorrow after 1 I should be bringing it to a friends shop to pull the drivetrain, keep ya fingers crossed.

orangecrush4u 03-03-2011 07:06 PM

Well I have been at a halt because of the weather but it looks like I can finally get going on this NIGHTMARE!!! I picked up my new engine with my buddy last tue and set it up on a borrowed engine stand. With all luck I will be pulling the drivetrain out over the weekend so I can drop off the tranny and transfer to get rebuilt. Will keep ya's posted and hope to have some pulling picks!

orangecrush4u 03-04-2011 08:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Towed the jeep over to my company shop and all my tools, hoist and stand and removed about a hour of crap from the engine. Plan to hit it hard in the am and finish up the rest of the pull after work, looks like it might be a solo job.

orangecrush4u 03-05-2011 08:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Worked on the jeep for about two hours this morn then about three tonight. My friend showed up and we got the engine out:dance:, thank god its only been on the back burner for two months:facepalm:. I got another engine stand from a friend but it would not work with the six, only three bolts would go in:nonono:. I decided not to put it on the stand with the possiblity of running into a issue, or getting hurt:eek:. My new harbor frieght cordless impact gun came in handy, im happy with the purchase:thumb:. So tomorrows paln is to remove all engine parts that need to go on the new one and drop the tranny/transfer. I have the shop untill tomorrow night so I have to work fast and make sure it is cleaner than when I showed up:thumb:. Oh yea I have to work as well for six hours, Im going to try to shorten that to four hours if possible:hide:.

orangecrush4u 03-06-2011 05:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well I started the attack around 10:30:whistling: I took all the wires and cables and plugs off the tranny and fixed some of the vacumme lines and dropped the tranny. I was interupted:facepalm: by a friend who needed me to take him to get his truck cause he was BOXED last night and didnt drive:angel: So after that I grabbed some luch with him and headed back over to the shop. I had decided to organise my tools cause they were all over from last night. I packed up all the parts and boxed them and put all the bolts in zip lock bags and wrote what each bag was for. I then asked my boss if I could use the company truck to bring the engine and tranny home he said ok. I backed up the truck and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO3D3CSbDqI I love this gate:punk:. I tied it up and drove home about 15mph and made a space in my tight garage:banghead: When I got back my friend who helped me the night before stopped by to see my progress, I pull all the parts off the pass side of the engine, untill I got to the dipstick figures:facepalm: the stud would not come out I heated it up, vice gripped it and nothing. So I decided to cut the mount part and I could make it with welding a new tab on, nope. It broke right where it goes in the block, NEW ONE :nonono:. I grabbed a woden pallet and dropped it on that side dragged it on the tailgate same process as before to my house. I left it outside and tarpped it, I hope to take the rest of the stuff off in a day or too and paint it up and slapp it on the new heart.:p I pushed the jeep outside with my hoist and packed all my tools and parts inside of it . I want to power wash the engine bay and the whole undercarriage with our 220 degree power wash before it comes to my house. I swept up the shop and mopped my whole area, looks better than when i showed up. I want to be able to use it again or when needed without them saying it was a mess, but rather man come and use it anytime, untill I start again chow:thumb:

orangecrush4u 03-06-2011 05:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
:thumb: