Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   4 Wheel Drive Issues (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/4-wheel-drive-issues-72893.html)

Pmedg 12-21-2010 08:21 AM

4 Wheel Drive Issues

Hi All,
I recently aquired a 1998 Wrangler Sport w/ 35k miles on it. I went to put it into 4 wheel high as it was snowing last night and had some problems. I put the car in drive and got in goign about 5mph, then put it into neutral and pulled the transfer case shirter into 4 wheel high. The car felt like it didnt fully engage as it pulled hard to the right. After driving it for about 5 minutes i stopped and put it back into 2 wheel, then back again into 4 wheel and it ran perfectly. This morning when i drove it (i left it in 4 wheel over night) it pulled hard to the right again and sounded louder than usual, like something was clicking. The previous owners were in their 70's and used the car as a summer vehile on Marthas Vineyard and never used the 4 wheel drive function. Do i need to take the vehicle to a garage to have it tuned? or is there something I am doing wrong? thank you for your help.

jebby 12-21-2010 10:24 AM

i duno but mud her as soon as you get it fixed..... poor thing is sad

6InARowMakesItGo 12-21-2010 05:02 PM

go to the dirt after you get it to pull without going back into 2hi. spin the tires and see if they all spin. maybe one of the fronts arent engaging and the other is. 4wd systems are meant to be used and not using them can cause failure when you need it. and i dont mean totally floor it, just enough to break traction a little.

jasonwrangler 12-21-2010 07:15 PM

check for diff fluids

Pmedg 12-22-2010 07:20 AM

I looked at the directions for replacing the differential fluids and it looks out of my comfort zone as I have zero mechanic skills Jeep Axle Differential Fluid Change Service If i get a boost of confidence and decide to give it a try do i just need to check the front gear box? Also is there a way to check it w/o having to take it apart?

Peepers 12-22-2010 07:27 AM

Take the fill plug out and stick your pinky in. If you cant touch fluid or if the fluid that comes out on your pinky doesn't look like oil, IE: milky, gritty, watery..., change it or get it changed.

Pmedg 12-22-2010 07:49 AM

excellent, that i can definatly handle. thanks.

Pmedg 12-22-2010 08:10 AM

if i dont feel any fluid when i stick my finger in can i just add more fluid myself, or does the whole thing need to be drained completly and then replaced?

Peepers 12-22-2010 08:24 AM

Ideally you would want to change it asap, because you don't know if there is fluid in there, and when you change it you can inspect the gears or if there are metal shavings in the bottom of the housing then you know somethings wrong.

For a quick "fix" you can add some fluid. I think its 75w90 gear oil, or something near that.

Pmedg 12-23-2010 07:05 AM

I didnt have a chance to check the fluid level last night as i got home from work late, but this morning on my way to the office i put it in 4 wheel and it was fine for about 20 feet then started pulling hard to the right and making a noise like rubbing and it took me 2 tries to get it back in 2 wheel and it was running fine again. im hoping to get under it tomorrow and check the diff fluid in the front axel.

Pmedg 12-28-2010 07:04 AM

I got to jiffy lube last night and had them replace the diff fluid in the front axel. the 4 wheel worked well for about 5-10 minutes and then i parked and this morning I was having the same problem when i put it into 4 wheel it would pull hard to the right and make a noise. should i have the fluid in the transfer case replaced as well?

Bruck 12-28-2010 08:36 AM

I'm no mechanic (Huh...I've said that alot lately), but that really doesn't sound like a fluid issue to me. I would take it to the mechanic at this point. That is unless someone else here has another option to try.

6InARowMakesItGo 12-28-2010 09:36 AM

i still think its an issue with a hub

Pmedg 12-28-2010 09:42 AM

i was able to get them to spin in the front. i watched the driver side spin and i had someone watch the passenger side and they said it spun as well. it just doesnt seem to want to stay in 4 wheel. the light to indicate 4 wheel stays on it just doesnt feel right. I will have to check it again tonight and let someone else drive it and watch the wheels to get a better idea of what spins and what doesnt.

Pmedg 12-28-2010 09:44 AM

given my todler status when it comes to things mechanical is it possible that im just mistaking the difference in driving 4 wheel and 2 wheel as a problem, when it is just a difference in ride? it just doesnt seem as though it should pull to the right in 4 wheel for no reason.

Pmedg 12-29-2010 09:40 AM

A buddy of mine mentioned it may be some sort of electrical issue that is casuing the hub not to engage on hte right wheel. or possibly a synoid (sp?) issue. or any number of issues that require bringing it to a garage and leaving it while they rip things apart to try and find the issue. which to me sounds like lots of $$$. might just not use 4 wheel until i feel like dropping a lot of cash to get it fixed.

Plowboy1970 12-29-2010 10:22 AM

There is no axle disconnect on your 98 Wrangler. When driving down the road, your front axle and drive shaft are always turning. The only thing you do when you pull the handle is make the connection in the transfer case.

Pmedg 12-29-2010 11:13 AM

is it possible that it is a bearing that's on its way out that is causing the car to pull to the right when i put it in 4 wheel?

Plowboy1970 12-29-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pmedg (Post 952311)
is it possible that it is a bearing that's on its way out that is causing the car to pull to the right when i put it in 4 wheel?

Then why is it not pulling to the right out of 4 wheel drive???? Are you on snow covered roads when it pulls??? What kind of road? When it pulls are you giving it gas or coasting???

Pmedg 12-29-2010 11:23 AM

it was on snow covered roads, but i have noticed it on pavement as well. sometimes it feels like it is driving fine, but not for to long then it starts pulling. its pulling when i give it gas (or i guess pushing as the left front wheel is likely powering forward and the right isnt). in 2 wheel it runs perfectly

Plowboy1970 12-29-2010 11:32 AM

When you are accelerating in 4 wheel drive the front wheels can pull side to side, as the wheels get traction. Go read the tire sizes on all the tires. They BETTER be the same. If not you will have problems. Tread all the same on the tires??? If one has more tread (bigger tire) it will pull .

Pmedg 12-29-2010 11:39 AM

i'll have to double check but im pretty sure the front 2 tires are identical, and the rear two are identical. the jeep is completly stock if that make any difference.

Plowboy1970 12-29-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pmedg (Post 952370)
i'll have to double check but im pretty sure the front 2 tires are identical, and the rear two are identical. the jeep is completly stock if that make any difference.

They better ALL, and I mean ALL!!!! be identical. If not you will have pulling and binding problems.

Pmedg 12-29-2010 11:57 AM

if the sizes are the same, but the brands are different thats fine though right? it doesnt pull at all in 2 wheel, only in 4 wheel.

Plowboy1970 12-29-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pmedg (Post 952417)
if the sizes are the same, but the brands are different thats fine though right? it doesnt pull at all in 2 wheel, only in 4 wheel.

Not all the time. If you look at some specs you will see they all don't match.

Look at this, Dunlop Grandtrek sj6 30 9.5 15 tire. Overall diameter, 29.7 circumference, 93.3"

Dunlop Grandtrek SJ6

Look at this one, Dunlop radial rover at Same size 30 9.5 15 Overall diameter 29.4 Circumference, 92.4

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=yes&tab=Specs

Almost an inch difference, in just 8 feet. Something has to give. And if one set is worn. Get the brand and type of tire and how bad they are and post here.

Pmedg 12-29-2010 12:13 PM

i'll take a look when i get home tonight. if it were a tire issue wouldnt it pull in 2 wheel as well?

The Ugly Jeep 12-29-2010 12:27 PM

The mismatched tires could cause the havoc. It wouldn't do it in 2 wheel drive, because the front driveshaft is disengaged in the transfer case, thus sending no torque up front.
Does it do it in 4 Low ?

Plowboy1970 12-29-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pmedg (Post 952452)
i'll take a look when i get home tonight. if it were a tire issue wouldnt it pull in 2 wheel as well?

No, the drive train is not locked together when in two wheel. Look at any car with smaller tires in front. If you have two different brands or sizes on this Jeep, it will make it hard to get into 4 wheel and very hard to get out of 4 wheel as the drive train is stressed and locked in. Sound familiar? Looks like you will be buying some new tires. Check what the spare is too!!! I too am new to Jeeps, owning mine for a week, but I have had, and still have a full size 4 wheel drive truck. One rule of owning 4 wheel drive vehicles. Rotate tires and replace all at one time.

Will

Pmedg 12-29-2010 12:41 PM

thanks Will. i will look into that this evening.

Pmedg 12-29-2010 12:42 PM

i havent tried putting it in 4 low yet, figured i would work on 4 hi first as that is what i am more likely to use.