Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   P0740 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/p0740-72950.html)

wranglernut 12-21-2010 05:49 PM

P0740

Hey friends, I've had the torque converter code for a while now, finally took it into the shop to see if it was the wiring, solenoid, or actual torque converter that's not working. The guy hooked up the scanner, took it for a spin, came back and said: "the electrical components are telling the converter to work, but nothing's happening". I said "so the torque converter is not working?" He said: "well we can't tell... We'll need to take the whole thing apart... $1200." I think this sounds slightly suspect. Any thoughts? The transmission works fine other than not locking up the converter on the highway...
This forum is awesome! Some day I hope I'll be able to contribute not just ask for help!! :redface:

JD Adams 12-21-2010 07:50 PM

Very suspect. Take it somewhere else and get another opinion. It should cost nothing to completely diagnose and estimate repairs. Something tells me you went to Midas, or some other hold-em-n-****-em outfit. Head to a dealership instead and see what they say before you open your wallet.

jeepjones 12-23-2010 05:11 AM

Definately get another opinion but not nescessarily from the stealership. I'd go to an actual highly reputable transmission shop. The stealership will make $1200 look cheap.

rrich 12-23-2010 08:26 AM

They guy only looked at his scanner? That makes as much sense as saying you need a heart operation bypass because you won't eat at McDonalds.

First go under it and find the connector on the trans, make sure it's on tight.

And - You can do this with the help of a FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL:

You or a trans shop can unhook the connector and measure the lock-up solenoids resistance from the outside, and power the solenoid by jumpering 12 volts to it. I think you can even pull out the solenoid without removing the trans, but not sure.

The FSM will have a step by step diagnosis AND if needed, the repair procedure. If nothing else, what you'll learn from it you'll be able to tell if a shop is being honest.

wranglernut 12-23-2010 11:18 AM

Thanks for the advice, guys! My FSM is supposed to arrive in the mail any day now, so I'll wait and follow that.

paulj66 02-02-2013 03:59 PM

What was the final resolution to this transmission issue?

wranglernut 02-06-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulj66
What was the final resolution to this transmission issue?

Well, it's still ongoing- so first observation is that it is nothing vital! (Gas mileage takes a hit though).

I bought a new TCC solenoid but broke it during install- so gonna try it all over again soon. Getting to know the 32 RH though.

Sorry if you we're hoping for more help. Let me know if you have questions- I have taken the valve body off twice now already!