Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Squeeking Rear End (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/squeeking-rear-end-734.html)

naviathan 12-06-2005 03:05 PM

Squeeking Rear End

Ok this is getting rather rediculous. From inside it sounds like the clutch is squeeking and rattling, but apparrently it's coming from the rear. I had a friend sit outside while I drove around a parking lot, backed up took off, slow, hard all of the above and he said the noise is from the rear. It's a stock YJ with the Dana 35C rear diff. I recently had to refil the diff because of a leaking pinion seal and I filled it with the proper gear lube. Now it's making a racket that will drive anyone nuts and gets worse as it gets warmer. I'm afraid something will break soon. HELP! What would make noise in the rear while accelerating forward or reverse, cause a vibration at highway speed and sound like (best description) a spindle bearing gone bad in the rear? From inside it sound like it's up front around the bell housing, but I'm going to do a little more troubleshooting when I get the chance. This is driving me crazy trying to pin point.

1BLKJP 12-06-2005 04:41 PM

Might be a ring and pinion problem. Sounds like you have some broken teeth or something. Did you find any metal in it when you were inside it last time?

naviathan 12-12-2005 07:01 AM

Ok turned out my springs were so worn out that everytime I hit the gas the diff would torque down almost 5 inches and stress the U-Joint. The joint wore out so bad that when I pulled it out the caps fell off and everything just came apart. Sounded like a good excuse to put in the 4" lift finally. That was a nightmare. Took two days off from work and finally, late Thursday finished. One broken pitman arm puller, a torch, several broken sockets from the impact and some bumps on the knoggin' were the only price to pay. 4 inches doesn't look like much so far, but rides a whole heck of a lot better.

daddyjeep 12-13-2005 08:17 PM

Congrats on the lift. What kind did you go with? I didn't think you guys had rust problems down there in the south. That sounds just like my lift install, but here in PA we get lots of rust.

naviathan 12-14-2005 07:24 AM

I'm in Eastern NC close to the beach so we get our share of rust as well. I went with the Rough Country 4" lift. It rides great now, but it just doesn't look as high as I would have expected a 4" to look. My stock tires I had on it before are still on it and they look fine. Makes me wonder if 32 or 33's would even fit.

Felsengleiskette 01-12-2006 09:21 PM

YEah they fit my 33's look fine...but I agree about the 4"lookin tiny...I was talked out of a 6" from a guy that said he could barely control his 4"...guy must have been a douche. Im bummin as well...but tryin to find a LIFT SHACKLE to off set the small hieght gain. but those little pizza cutters gotta go man,...I put my stock tires on again for kicks...ha,ha lasted 5 minutes.

Felsengleiskette 01-12-2006 09:26 PM

ohh the 33's do help in more height though...overall the jeep sits about 7 inches taller from the ground to the sound bar (just barely have to hop in or out)<--- thats whats killin me...I want to have to JUMP in and out!

naviathan 01-13-2006 06:29 AM

You must be taller than me. I have hop in and out with just the factory lift.