Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Anyone know how to attach these? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/anyone-know-how-to-attach-these-73405.html)

VVCG33 12-26-2010 02:45 PM

Anyone know how to attach these?
 
Just picked these up and they didn't come with directions

TOW HOOK, REAR, BLACK, RUGGED RIDGE, JEEP WRANGLER (TJ) 97-06, UNLIMITED (LJ) 04-06, SOLD EACH TOW HOOK, REAR, BLACK, RUGGED RIDGE, JEEP WRANGLER (TJ) 97-06, UNLIMITED (LJ) 04-06, SOLD EACH [11236.04]

I don't really want to drill a hole into the frame, but...

G54 12-26-2010 03:07 PM

No working link in your post, but if it is the same rear tow hook that came with my LJ, it bolts right to the existing holes in the frame on the driver side. the bolt inside the frame rail is one of those "no spin" kind that may give you fits when you try to remove it. Mine bent and broke making things interesting. :rolleyes:

Jerry Bransford 12-26-2010 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you have the type of tow hook shown in the below photo, the below method of mounting is about your only option. It only involves drilline one hole though, the other hole is already there. Don't drill entirely through the frame, the hole is only on the outside edge. The washers and nuts are fished up through a small opening underneath that is already present. MAKE SURE not to drill through the entire frame... passing the bolts entirely through the frame and putting the nuts on the outside of the frame will squeeze the frame together and cause it to start collapsing inward, requiring you to have to constantly retighten the bolts which further collapses the frame. Passing the bolts through just one side of the frame and having the nuts and washers up inside is plenty strong enough and is the right way to install the tow hooks.

And if you buy more bolts for any reason, make sure they are either Grade 5 or Grade 8 which is stronger. Standard bolts are not strong enough for recovery purposes.

VVCG33 12-26-2010 03:20 PM

Let's see if this link works

Original Replacement Parts 11236.04 - Rear Tow Hook in Black for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

G54 12-26-2010 03:23 PM

You may have to drill a hole for that hook as Jerry said. Those nuts with the tabs are the no spin nuts I was talking about. They slide into the frame rail and won't spin as you tighten. Unless they break. :rolleyes:

pokey 12-26-2010 03:27 PM

Other than being easier on the strap itself, what are the advantages to using hooks as opposed to throwing the strap around the bumper like I did in the old days? Especially considering if you use inferior bolts the hook can come flying back ?

G54 12-26-2010 03:29 PM

This is the best pic I have the the stock tow hook that I took off my LJ. Bolts right up to the frame without drilling - at least on my Jeep. I'd sell it to you cheap if your interested PM me.

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/w...endcaprear.jpg

monkeee2002 12-26-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokey (Post 945951)
Other than being easier on the strap itself, what are the advantages to using hooks as opposed to throwing the strap around the bumper like I did in the old days? Especially considering if you use inferior bolts the hook can come flying back ?

the advantage is not bending the (stock) bumper when you give it a good yank :)

Jerry Bransford 12-26-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokey (Post 945951)
Other than being easier on the strap itself, what are the advantages to using hooks as opposed to throwing the strap around the bumper like I did in the old days? Especially considering if you use inferior bolts the hook can come flying back ?

Bumpers in the "old days" were substantially stronger than the bumper our TJs get from the factory. And correctly installing anything means you use the right parts, hardware, and tools. In other words, don't install the hooks with "inferior" bolts. Using the correct Grade 5 or Grade 8 bolts means it won't be a problem.

VVCG33 12-26-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
If you have the type of tow hook shown in the below photo, the below method of mounting is about your only option. It only involves drilline one hole though, the other hole is already there. Don't drill entirely through the frame, the hole is only on the outside edge. The washers and nuts are fished up through a small opening underneath that is already present. MAKE SURE not to drill through the entire frame... passing the bolts entirely through the frame and putting the nuts on the outside of the frame will squeeze the frame together and cause it to start collapsing inward, requiring you to have to constantly retighten the bolts which further collapses the frame. Passing the bolts through just one side of the frame and having the nuts and washers up inside is plenty strong enough and is the right way to install the tow hooks.

And if you buy more bolts for any reason, make sure they are either Grade 5 or Grade 8 which is stronger. Standard bolts are not strong enough for recovery purposes.

Hey Jerry is it pretty easy to drill a hole in the frame?

UnlimitedLJ04 12-26-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVCG33 (Post 946912)
Hey Jerry is it pretty easy to drill a hole in the frame?

i'm not Jerry, but I can tell you its not bad drilling a hole in the frame. if you use the proper tools, that is. That means a good sharp High Speed Steel or Cobalt Steel drill bit, with liberal usage of cutting oil.

If you just use your cordless screwdriver and some cheapo Black and Decker or Harbor Freight bit, you'll spend all day breaking crap and get nothing done.

VVCG33 12-28-2010 09:22 PM

Thanks Not Jerry! Think a regular cordless drill will make it through with a good bit?

Jerry Bransford 12-28-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVCG33 (Post 951082)
Thanks Not Jerry! Think a regular cordless drill will make it through with a good bit?

I use my 19.2v battery operated drills 99% of the time and they work fine for such tasks. Most decent-size battery operated drills have more than enough power to drill a hole through the frame. Heck even my 1/2" drill is a cordless drill and it (and my 3/8") has so much power it could snap my wrist if the drill bit got stuck in something. :eek:

VVCG33 12-28-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
I use my 19.2v battery operated drills 99% of the time and they work fine for such tasks. Most decent-size battery operated drills have more than enough power to drill a hole through the frame. Heck even my 1/2" drill is a cordless drill and it (and my 3/8") has so much power it could snap my wrist if the drill bit got stuck in something. :eek:

Thanks I'll give it a shot within the next couple days and let you know if I still a wrist


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.