Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Rallylight/Hella headlight upgrade install (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/rallylight-hella-headlight-upgrade-install-73538.html)

krutj 12-27-2010 02:27 PM

Rallylight/Hella headlight upgrade install
 
This upgrade has been done by many JK owners, I'm posting this because there has been a lot of interest in upgrading the JK headlights on this forum.....

The main reason for this thread, is to show other JK owners the simplicity of this upgrade, I hope it helps.

Here are the components of the kit, two Hella lenses, wiring harness, and bulbs (Phillips extreme +80's) I can't take credit for knowing what to buy, this was recommended by Hilldweller(thanks Bill)

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...utj/003-20.jpg

This is the relay end of the harness, hot/ground and the wiring to each side comes from here, need to mount near the battery

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...utj/004-25.jpg

Remove the grill, and the beauty rings from the passenger headlight, next pic shows the red slide on the plug, slide it up(I used a small flat tip to help)

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...utj/012-16.jpg

Next pic is loosely laying out the wiring harness...

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...utj/006-20.jpg

After removing the stock headlight, plug the harness into the headlight plug..

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...utj/010-17.jpg

Then bring the new plug out the hole..

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...utj/011-17.jpg

Put the new bulbs in and the rubber seal, and re-install new lights, you will notice a difference in quality...

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...utj/013-16.jpg

I ran my harness along the firewall, and then you do the same to the drivers side..

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...utj/015-14.jpg

After that, zip tie it down and you're good to go...

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad30/krutj/017-8.jpg

This was delivered on Christmas Eve. took about an hour, if you do it in the cold, I'd recommend warming up the harness first.

I can tell you that this is the best money that I've spent for any JK upgrade....amazing...and there's even better.

BigMoe 12-27-2010 02:48 PM

Cool upgrade, could you supply a parts list along with where you can find the harness. If it is a big improvement over stock headlights I'm interested!

krutj 12-27-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMoe (Post 948319)
Cool upgrade, could you supply a parts list along with where you can find the harness. If it is a big improvement over stock headlights I'm interested!

This is a huge improvement, wish I would have done it sooner.

I bought this from rallylights.com, and on their website they have an icon to click, on the main page for the JK upgrade. They also have a phone # at the top of the page, I called in my order..received it in one week.

Parts are all in the kit, $214.00 and the only other thing that I did was upgrade the bulbs to the Phillips extreme +80's. They will give you credit for the bulbs that come in the kit too...

BTW, I don't need my aux. lights now....

jimmyzwheelz 12-28-2010 03:26 PM

Bar none...the absolute best upgrade I did to my Jeep also!

BigMoe 12-28-2010 09:06 PM

I'm also looking at the IBF kit, decisions, decisions!!

Hilldweller 12-29-2010 04:20 AM

Great pics, Joel; thanks for taking the time to do this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMoe (Post 951225)
I'm also looking at the IBF kit, decisions, decisions!!

To add some facts to your decision process, the standard IPF kit comes with blue bulbs that don't work well, a pigtail harness adapter that accentuates the voltage drop, and H4 reflector housings that have never been tested to be in compliance with DOT or ECE regulations.
An ungraded harness is available at additional expense as well as real bulbs but the reflector is still only legal to use offroad.
It really should be stated in their literature. They go as far as to put their own little "E" symbol on the housings that looks similar to an ECE stamp; that smacks of a boldface lie to me.

monkers 12-29-2010 08:06 AM

great write-up, thank you for taking the time to do this, how does this kit compare to the Daniel Stern Kit? Is installation the same?

mgola27 12-29-2010 08:34 AM

Nice write-up.

I don't have the desire to do mine out in the cold, but the light upgrade is on the docket for the spring.

I'll probably bed line the grill while I'm at it.

Thanks.

Happy New Year.

Hilldweller 12-29-2010 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkers (Post 951972)
great write-up, thank you for taking the time to do this, how does this kit compare to the Daniel Stern Kit? Is installation the same?

Installation is identical.
The difference is in the available reflector housings. Daniel Stern sells the best you can get; Rallylights sells the best you can get on a lighter pricepoint.

Take a look at this page. This is the photometry results from a set of Marchals, Cibie Z-beams, regular Cibies, and the Hellas that Rallylights offers. All 4 are ECE compliant, certified and perfectly legal. But you can see the differences in performance.
This is just a taste of the wide swing in overall performance available. And should give a clue as to why it's ill-advised to jigger HID capsules into halogen housings.

That Rallylights kit is the best bang for the buck for JK lighting upgrades.
If you've got a few more bucks, there's Daniel Stern at your service.

I hear the lamest excuses about spending money on headlights. Cost is usually the reason.
But the same person will spend $300 on A-pillar lights that they use twice a year... ...I use my headlights almost every day and count on them to keep me alive.

J_Westy 12-29-2010 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller (Post 952021)
Installation is identical.
The difference is in the available reflector housings. Daniel Stern sells the best you can get; Rallylights sells the best you can get on a lighter pricepoint.

HD, I'm really looking forward to the comparison of your Hella's to your incoming Z-beams with the same Philips +80 bulbs.

At the price you paid, are you going to Lamin-X them? I'd be nervous for sure.

Also, I seem to remember reading some chatter about Rallylights putting some caps in their harness to blunt voltage spikes and increase bulb life. Is that true? Does Stern do the same?

Hilldweller 12-29-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Westy (Post 952065)
At the price you paid, are you going to Lamin-X them? I'd be nervous for sure.

Also, I seem to remember reading some chatter about Rallylights putting some caps in their harness to blunt voltage spikes and increase bulb life. Is that true? Does Stern do the same?

I might put a film over them; I just hate to mess with glorious focus though...

Waterboarder had problems with his bulbs popping at extreme cold and Stern rigged him something to regulate the voltage. He lives in Alaska though.
There's nothing exotic on my Rallylights harness.
Maybe I'll install a meter and watch ---- I don't really think it fluctuates high enough to be a bother to regular voltage bulbs. Not if the charging system is healthy anyhow.

krutj 12-29-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller (Post 952021)
Installation is identical.
The difference is in the available reflector housings. Daniel Stern sells the best you can get; Rallylights sells the best you can get on a lighter pricepoint.

Take a look at this page. This is the photometry results from a set of Marchals, Cibie Z-beams, regular Cibies, and the Hellas that Rallylights offers. All 4 are ECE compliant, certified and perfectly legal. But you can see the differences in performance.

So the Cibies shown on the DS web site are the regular ones? What is the difference? (other than double the price).
I'm a total convert now, so if they are worth it, I want them...

I have hit many deer, that was always my concern with spending $$ on high quality lighting. However, now that I've "seen the light", I want more....lol, and I think it's worth the price of admission.

ColdSRT 12-30-2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller (Post 952635)
I might put a film over them; I just hate to mess with glorious focus though...

Waterboarder had problems with his bulbs popping at extreme cold and Stern rigged him something to regulate the voltage. He lives in Alaska though.
There's nothing exotic on my Rallylights harness.
Maybe I'll install a meter and watch ---- I don't really think it fluctuates high enough to be a bother to regular voltage bulbs. Not if the charging system is healthy anyhow.

My harness has caps wired in but I thought they were to prevent the canbus from tripping an idiot light.

Mine work just fine and I live in one of the coldest parts of Alaska. I am running the philips bulbs though.

Funny enough my LEDs flicker for a sec when I first turn them on at colder than -30f.

All my lights pass the -40 test so far.

Hilldweller 12-30-2010 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krutj (Post 952927)
So the Cibies shown on the DS web site are the regular ones? What is the difference? (other than double the price).

It does ruin the night when you tag Bambi.

This shows the difference in light output.

Z-Beam
http://dastern.torque.net/Photometry/Cibie_7Z_Iso.jpg

regular cibie
http://dastern.torque.net/Photometry/Cibie_7_Iso.jpg

The regular 7" are no slackers at all; the Z-Beams are just so perfect in execution and clever in design. Price difference is $36 per.

krutj 12-30-2010 06:21 AM

You mentioned that the Z-beams are limited in supply, correct?

For an extra $72 bucks, they look worth it. Can they be had? Thanks...

Hilldweller 12-30-2010 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krutj (Post 953913)
You mentioned that the Z-beams are limited in supply, correct?

For an extra $72 bucks, they look worth it. Can they be had? Thanks...

You just have to sync with DS when he makes a trip over the line into the US; he keeps them in a different warehouse.

I still haven't gotten mine. I need to meter the Hellas first anyhow and won't get the meter until next week at the earliest.

tha sista 03-27-2011 06:05 PM

I have decided this is my next project. Can anyone tell me exactly which Hella lenses these are? I went to Rally.com and the jk upgrade link is no longer there...

Thanks for the write up, pretty sure I can do this one myself!

krutj 03-27-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tha sista (Post 1141650)
I have decided this is my next project. Can anyone tell me exactly which Hella lenses these are? I went to Rally.com and the jk upgrade link is no longer there...

Thanks for the write up, pretty sure I can do this one myself!

Try this link...Susquehanna MotorSports - High Performance Vehicle Lighting and Competition Accessories

What you want is on this homepage, E-code JK headlight upgrade. Third row down, all the way to the right, pic of a JK, click it....:whistling:

tha sista 03-27-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krutj (Post 1141671)
Try this link...Susquehanna MotorSports - High Performance Vehicle Lighting and Competition Accessories

What you want is on this homepage, E-code JK headlight upgrade. Third row down, all the way to the right, pic of a JK, click it....:whistling:


Ok so I am blind!:doh: Thanks! I'll call them tomorrow to expedite. Any idea if it will fit 2011?

J_Westy 03-27-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tha sista (Post 1141694)
Ok so I am blind!:doh: Thanks! I'll call them tomorrow to expedite. Any idea if it will fit 2011?

Yes -- it will fit a 2011.

Here's mine: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/201...tml#post837138

tha sista 03-27-2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Westy (Post 1141985)
Yes -- it will fit a 2011.

Here's mine: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/201...tml#post837138

Thanks...yours looks fantastic!

krutj 03-28-2011 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tha sista (Post 1141694)
Ok so I am blind!:doh: Thanks! I'll call them tomorrow to expedite. Any idea if it will fit 2011?


A good upgrade on ordering this kit is the Phillips Extreme power +80's(bulb)

They will give you credit for the bulb that comes in the kit if you upgrade..

Remember to pick up some zip ties....if you have any problems, post 'em up, there's a lot of JK'ers on here that have done this and will help out..good luck and let us know how it turns out...:dance:

sheetsd66 03-28-2011 12:52 PM

Thanks for the write-up. This is my next project. Awesome color on your Jeep! Can you upgrade the bulbs on the website or do you need to phone order for that?

tha sista 03-28-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krutj

A good upgrade on ordering this kit is the Phillips Extreme power +80's(bulb)

They will give you credit for the bulb that comes in the kit if you upgrade..

Remember to pick up some zip ties....if you have any problems, post 'em up, there's a lot of JK'ers on here that have done this and will help out..good luck and let us know how it turns out...:dance:

Thanks a bunch! My kit is ordered with the bulb upgrade. Super nice guy at rallylights.com! I can't wait to tackle this! I will yell if I get stuck

krutj 03-28-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheetsd66 (Post 1143171)
Thanks for the write-up. This is my next project. Awesome color on your Jeep! Can you upgrade the bulbs on the website or do you need to phone order for that?

I don't know, I called...real easy to do on the phone..:thumb:

tha sista 03-31-2011 05:34 PM

working on this now....I have three grey bundles...one for each headlight coming from the relay and a third...(with a funny end) What does that plug to? My relay has no easy way to mount it to anything. The screw holes are not easily accessible, any suggestions for mounting?

edit: got the relay mounted with many zip ties...

Ok, I've figured it out, almost done!

J_Westy 03-31-2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tha sista (Post 1150461)
working on this now....I have three grey bundles...one for each headlight coming from the relay and a third...(with a funny end) What does that plug to? My relay has no easy way to mount it to anything. The screw holes are not easily accessible, any suggestions for mounting?

edit: got the relay mounted with many zip ties...

The third wire is the "trigger" wire. It goes up to the passenger side headlamp and plugs into the old headlight connector on the vehicle harness.

tha sista 03-31-2011 06:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Westy

The third wire is the "trigger" wire. It goes up to the passenger side headlamp and plugs into the old headlight connector on the vehicle harness.

That wasn't obvious from the writeup but when I started thinking it thru it's the only thing that made sense! Anyways I'm done

I cut people open for a living this was way fun!!!

krutj 03-31-2011 07:27 PM

Nice....do you have a t-15 to adjust them?(torx)

The Hella's have a nice cut off, so you may want to tip them some...

Please don't cut me up...

tha sista 03-31-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krutj (Post 1150691)
Nice....do you have a t-15 to adjust them?(torx)

The Hella's have a nice cut off, so you may want to tip them some...

Please don't cut me up...

Yeah, I never knew what they were called, I have a whole set...I just called them the star shaped wrenchs...funny!:whistling: I gave my dad my credit card one day and told him to go get me all the tools I'd need for my garage and he set me up! Such a good dad!:thumb:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.