Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   exhaust fumes (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/exhaust-fumes-7359.html)

Joey 04-15-2007 07:51 PM

exhaust fumes

For any of you who have the old 258 4.2, what is the best way to stop the exhaust smell? Would putting the exhaust pipe behind the rear tires, out the side, help? Anytime I have the top off or the windows open, there is a strong exhaust smell inside. My exhaust pipe comes straight out the back. Does anyone else have this problem?

amerijeep 04-15-2007 08:01 PM

I have the 4.0, but I have been smellin' exaust for years now. never thought much about it, but I suspect that my issue is a rusted out pipe.

skeeter 04-15-2007 08:37 PM

Exhaust ventilation is a problem with any square back vehicle due to the airflow vortex created by the shape, it holds the exhaust right there.
On that note however...duuuude, the colors.....http://home.comcast.net/~sahobbs/images/fruit.gif

Joes 04-16-2007 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey (Post 71715)
For any of you who have the old 258 4.2, what is the best way to stop the exhaust smell? Would putting the exhaust pipe behind the rear tires, out the side, help? Anytime I have the top off or the windows open, there is a strong exhaust smell inside. My exhaust pipe comes straight out the back. Does anyone else have this problem?

i never noticed an exhaust smell with mine .i have had it over 3 years.........

binaryking 04-16-2007 07:57 AM

It sounds like you may have a small exhaust leak under the cab somewhere. Check the Cat and the pipes that run under the body. I would also check your header for any cracks. It may be sucking it into the vents from the engine.

Also, does your tailpipe come out far enough and is it pointing down?

daddyjeep 04-16-2007 11:35 AM

Skeeter is right on the money. The fumes can't efficiently get away from the Jeep because of the swirling air back there. a Buddy of mine had a full size blazer that did the same thing. I dumped my exhaust out in front of the rear tire. I ran the pipe between the leaf spring and the frame to keep it protected. I don't know if this will completely cure your problem, but it could help.

Grandpa Jeeper 04-17-2007 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey (Post 71715)

Whether or not you smell fumes is a combination of factors. Fumes are primarily caused by incomplete combustion of the hydrocarbon fuel we burn in our Jeeps. In recent years the Govt in it's infinite wisdom has mandated that gasoline be changed to burn cleaner. Then they found out it burned differently, not necessarily cleaner, so they mandated the use of catalytic converters. Catalytic converters were supposed to change the unburned gas from the inefficient combustion in the engine into a more "environmentally friendly" substance. But then they discovered that the output from inefficient combustion changed with temperature and humidity, so they mandated seasonal fuels. The change in fuels causes your catalytic converter to rot out from the inside and stop trapping the wasted hydrocarbons, and Voila' the stink.

Solution? Your catalytic converter may be bad. You may be using seasonal fuels. You may be doing stop and go driving which never allows your Catalytic converter to heat up and do it's job.

My suggestion is buy a quart of the purest acetone you can find and add 2 oz to every 10 gallons of gas you buy. Do that for two weeks and see for yourself. The acetone bonds chemically with gasoline making it burn more efficiently. You may discover extra power and better mileage at the same time.

jeepfanatic 04-19-2007 02:44 AM

inspect all the seals and make sure they are fitted properly and there are no cracks or splits. Also check the underbody to make sure there are no rust holes that can allow the fumes to enter. you should have the complete jeep exhaust system checked for leaks as well. if there is a leak, have it fixed right away, this may prevent the exhaust smell.

Joey 04-20-2007 09:30 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Ill let you all know what I figure out. I have got to do something so my wife will ride with me.

Dare2BSquare 04-20-2007 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey (Post 73923)
Thanks for all the advice. Ill let you all know what I figure out. I have got to do something so my wife will ride with me.

Or so you won't die from carbon monoxide poisoning!?

quadrophine 09-12-2011 04:10 PM

i know this is an old ass thread but have started so many i feel bad... but i was thinking about rigging up an exhaust like a diesel trucks, where the exhaust pipe runs right up and over the vehicle. anyone seen this done?? think it would look stupid. i figure it would solve the exhaust smell problem.

quadrophine 09-12-2011 04:10 PM

and actually look kinda cool.

jfbilbro 09-12-2011 08:03 PM

that'd be cool...until somebody grabbed it :popcorn:

Garyk 09-13-2011 09:46 AM

A big chrome pipe, and maybe some Yosemite Sam mudflaps:whistling: