Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Took the Jeep for its first road trip (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/took-the-jeep-for-its-first-road-trip-73771.html)

Hammerwalk 12-29-2010 11:58 AM

Took the Jeep for its first road trip

I took my family, consisting of wife and 6 year old boy, to Kansas to be with the in-laws for Christmas in my '02 Sahara. Was really interested in how it does on a road trip. I was in for a surprise.

First off, i very quickly realized I was shoving 10lbs of potatoes into a 5lb sack! I mean, i knew it had no storage places to begin with, but i was up for the challenge. After getting everything loaded up, we headed out.

I kept the cruise set anywhere between 70 and 75. With strong head winds heading up north, it was set more like 70 tops. Usually around town, highway driving of about the same speeds, i was getting roughly 250 miles per tank. I was hoping for something similar if not better on the road. I was wrong :( At the very most, even when the winds were calm, i got a whopping 200 miles to the tank before low fuel light chimed in. According to my math, and aCar app for my Droid, i averaged 14.4 MPG for the 528 miles to destination. I was bummed. Even my V-6 4.2L 98 Chevy Blazer did better than that going 75 the whole time. Oh well, its a jeep right?

2nd thing i noticed, which i coincidentally saw yesterday on another thread, is that the fuel gauge is terribly inncorrect at keeping up with actual fuel levels. When i was at my best mileage, i would get 70 miles to the 1/4 tank, logically my brain thinks that i should get at least 280 miles to empty. Then i would notice the gauge move even faster. 70 for the first 1/4 used, then 40 miles later for 1/2 tank. Wait a minute, im like 30 miles behind where i should be, i was really hoping for 140 to the half, not 100 even. Then i might get another 60 or so for 3/4 used, then another 40 before its time to fuel up again :banghead: Was confusing and somewhat frustrating at the same time. But oh well, when she's empty, I fill 'er up, and keep on going. I just think that the EPA stickers are a joke for these. 15 / 18 my ass!

Then i noticed the different fuel blend up north. 13.3 MPG was the lowest i had, and with a tail wind going to OKC from Wichita, KS, best i got was 15.7 MPG.

It was a fun experience, and a rough one. The wifey was ready for the 1100 mile round trip to be done and over with by the time we got half way home. I was really hoping for some snow, but no luck :(

Anyone else out there take their jeeps for a Christmas road trip?

harwa004 12-29-2010 12:03 PM

I have a 2002 TJ, as well. You think the mileage is bad now? Wait until you lift it and put 33s on her. I have a 4" lift on 33s and prefer to remain ignorant about my gas mileage, but can guarantee it is worse than yours. I just feed her when she is thirsty....

I feel your pain! But hey, if that is the only complaint we have--so be it. :D

dan188 12-29-2010 12:10 PM

thanks for the write-up. I completely agree about the fuel gauge being off. Mine takes a while to get below 1/2, but once its below half it drops fast. As for milage, I think you should be doing better, but maybe it was all the weight in the Jeep, or the wind. have you tuned the Jeep up recently? or checked the air filter for excessive dirt?... I am running 33's with 3.73 gears and I get 13-14 mpg around town

Hammerwalk 12-29-2010 12:29 PM

@004, I plan on a lift to accommodate 33s, and I am aware of the drop :( oh well though. I guess I love my jeep more than my wallet. But i also dont see my self taking it on a long road trip unless its for a trail or something.

@dan, in all reality, i didnt have that much weight in the jeep, although I knew it would contribute. 1 suitcase at about 40lbs, then a bunch of small stuff, like presents and blankets and pillows for the wife and son. (she got off her 12 hour shift at 7am, we pulled out at 9am) As far as the air filter, it was new. I knew getting a jeep wasnt the most ideal vehicle if i was worried about fuel, gotta keep the folks in the oil fields employed, right?. Plus, like i said, i had nasty head winds for the most part heading north. Around Fort Worth, i get good mileage. The best i have had is 17.5 mpg.

I have not tuned up the jeep. I think the preventative maintenance schedule in the manual calls for new plugs and such at 90k, it just turned 80k on the trip. So i need to get whatever is needed for 80k taken care of. Im a true believer to follow that maintenance schedule. My mom just traded her 2002 Mazda Protege for a new 2011 Mazda 3. The protege was in mint condition, with 295k miles, and ran like a champ because she always took it in to have the maintenance done. I digress, it was fun either way regardless of the mileage, but i tend to be OCD on details such as this, and it just nags at me sometimes.

530ktm 12-29-2010 12:39 PM

I regeared mine to 4.56 with 33 inch tires but I have never checked mileage because nothing is accurate on a Jeep once mods have been done, even after changing the speedo gear. However, I do not notice any difference in distance I travel on a tank of gas from when it had 31's with 3.73 gearing. Oh yes, long distance traveling in the Jeep is probably not the most comfortable way to go either.

Wallygator 12-29-2010 12:50 PM

Luckily for me its just the girlfriend and I when we travel any distance so out comes the back seat into the livingroom. Cats think its the best bed ever, lol. Lots of room then, yeah right. Pretty good tho if we are just doing a weekend camping trip. Any longer than that and we hook up the trailer to haul gear. Mileage, whats that???? Man I knew the Jeep was gonna be hard on fuel, but I went from an Sx getting 40+ miles to the gallon to the Jeep getting about 18-20 if I drive it right. Bit of a shock. But I wanted something to take me fishing and play in the woods with so I live with it.

Hammerwalk 12-29-2010 12:56 PM

With that back seat out, i think there is a decent amount of room. Especially for something like a camping get-a-way for two. My Great Dane would fit in there (may he RIP) Hell, i got a 7' Christmas tree into my jeep :D , getting it out was another story....

89PBR96 12-29-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerwalk (Post 952414)
With that back seat out, i think there is a decent amount of room. Especially for something like a camping get-a-way for two. My Great Dane would fit in there (may he RIP) Hell, i got a 7' Christmas tree into my jeep :D , getting it out was another story....

lol at the tree congrats on the long trip and no problems

roadsuk 12-29-2010 02:42 PM

I took my 01 TJ from Iowa to Utah this past Spring and I did alright. Loaded down with suitcases and tools and two of us I averaged between 16 and 17mpg over about 3500 miles including the wheeling and keeping in the 70-75mph range on the interstate. I got a worst tank of 11.8 going into a 35-45 headwind across the hell that is Nebraska and a best of 21.3 from Moab to Ouray. Not sure what happened from Moab to Ouray but I'll take it! I run 33s and 4:10s with a 5-speed and I am looking forward to doing it again. :punk:

Hammerwalk 12-29-2010 02:54 PM

Kansas is just as bad and boring to drive through. One you prefer to do at night.

ESP 12-29-2010 02:56 PM

If it helps any, my 2010 JK's gas needle will stay on the full mark longer than the rest of the time too. After about 50-60 miles it moves for the first time and then I can almost physically see it drop while driving. It was kinda shocking the first time but now I'm use to it. It kinda slows down around 1/2 full and then acts normal. It is weird.

BigEZ 12-30-2010 01:32 AM

My 02 4.0/5spd/3.07s sucks gas like Snookie sucks down patron shots. Probably average 14mpgs. Highway can be even worse depending on these damned winter winds we've had this year. The congo rack helps w/storage, but hurts the mileage. Good thing she's not my DD.

jkaufman_95 12-30-2010 03:35 AM

I've never checked my mpg and just like shell prefer to keep it that way. But I will be trailering it with another rig on the trailer with out commander to the trail whenever I can.

jkaufman_95 12-30-2010 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEZ
My 02 4.0/5spd/3.07s sucks gas like Snookie sucks down patron shots. Probably average 14mpgs. Highway can be even worse depending on these damned winter winds we've had this year. The congo rack helps w/storage, but hurts the mileage. Good thing she's not my DD.

Snookie reference really?

Ebxgsxr 12-30-2010 07:34 AM

this was a good read. i know now, ill never be taking my TJ to myrtle beach to visit the inlaws.

JimM 12-30-2010 07:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine gets 7 mpg on the highway...
Or a zillion, depenbding on where you measure it...

ryan932 12-30-2010 02:02 PM

did ten hours to new jersey over thanksgiving. if i remember i was at about 16mpg with my i-6, not to bad, the old liberty 3.7lt only got 14 or so, ran great but was crap on gas. only thing with the rough ride i was a bobble head for 10 hours and my neck hated me for it.

Hammerwalk 12-30-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebxgsxr
this was a good read. i know now, ill never be taking my TJ to myrtle beach to visit the inlaws.

Myrtle beach huh? We go to Folly Beach alot. 21 hour straight drive from the Dallas / Ft. Worth area. Never in a Jeep though. Haven't and wont.

McBear 12-30-2010 05:02 PM

We did our 780mile run to 4WD from Kentucky to upper Ohio earlier this week in the 2004 Unlimited. The Garmin and and Jeep Odometers are within 0.1% of each other so calculations are quick and easy. The Garmin said we averaged 67.3MPH and the calculator said I averaged 17.09MPG. That's on Bridgestone Revo 30s.

We had pretty high winds from the West and a set of rims in the back that I didn't take out due to sleet before we left.

jkritter 12-30-2010 05:34 PM

Not a christmas trip but last sept. wife and I loaded up my 2dr and headed out to colorado for a few days. The two of us, two little dogs and of course clothes and such, the jk was pretty full. I took the back seat out for the dogs kennel and then we were able to put a few things on top of it. We drove just under 1200 miles during the trip and she actually never complained once about not being comfortable or anything like that. :D Seems we avg right at 16mpg, and that was cruise set at 75mph and some cruising up in the mountains. Here is the jk at somewhere up around 11k ft. near trailridge pass near estes park.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...202010/030.jpg

alstjruby03 01-01-2011 11:20 PM

took a trip to the beach today got 17.9.stock ruby tires and wheels.

neverfastenough1 01-01-2011 11:41 PM

Every car takes longer to burn the first 1/4 tank. The tank is full long before the pump shuts off no matter what you are driving. Cut the pump off as son as it says full and it will be a different story, but you will have to stop to fill up more often. I can't fill mine up till the pump shuts off anyways, it sprays everywhere before it does.

Simplegreenvr6 01-02-2011 02:18 AM

I'm getting about the same mileage as you with around the same driving conditions, everyday. I think I'm just going to stop looking at the trip computer and just drive it and fill up when needed. Oh well! Can't wait for summer.

neverfastenough1 01-02-2011 08:48 AM

I think it was pretty good for all the weight he had in her. I could be wrong, but I think every timeI went to the dealer, the sticker said 16 hwy, and I am sure they meant without all that weight. Both of my v8's get better mileage, but I still drive my Jeep everywhere.

jefferyfghezzi 01-02-2011 09:55 AM

Bought my 2005 WRANGLER X off Autotrader. I live in OHIO and wanted a rust free vehicle.I flew into Miami and drove back 13,000 miles in 2 days.I was deaf from the top flapping and set the cruse at 75 with an end result of 16mpg. It has 38,000 miles on it and I am pushing snow with it up here.

Arch Stanton 01-02-2011 10:56 AM

I installed a Mopar cold-air intake when gas prices for high but didn't notice any difference in MPG. Will adding a hard top affect mpg? I read somewhere that it makes the Jeep more aerodynamic and actually saves gas. If I go from 31 to 33" tires, will re-gearing compensate for the bigger tires? How costly is re-gearing? Thanks.

Simplegreenvr6 01-02-2011 01:37 PM

^ adding a hard top will make the Jeep more streamline at the roof level. I don't think it'll be a HUGE jump in gas mileage. I'm talking from logic, not experience. Our vehicles were purpose-built vehicles; that being said, they were not designed to cut through the air. Just fill her up and enjoy :)

neverfastenough1 01-02-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferyfghezzi (Post 959271)
Bought my 2005 WRANGLER X off Autotrader. I live in OHIO and wanted a rust free vehicle.I flew into Miami and drove back 13,000 miles in 2 days.I was deaf from the top flapping and set the cruse at 75 with an end result of 16mpg. It has 38,000 miles on it and I am pushing snow with it up here.

You drove from Miami to Japan? 13000 miles is a long way. Its not even 4000 from Miami to Seattle. I just got back from my first trip in the TJ. Drove from Savannah to Charleston and back to visit the Aquarium with the kids and averaged just over 17mpg. I have 4" lift, 33's and a hardtop. 75-80 on the highway, and a lot of back road driving. That was a lot better than what I was expecting.

Edit: Now I see the Ohio part, so guess you meant 1300 miles, unless you took the long way home.

Hammerwalk 01-02-2011 10:16 PM

Damn... maybe I need a tune up. That is unless the Jeeps that are getting the 17+MPG average are the V6 engines.

Since i have been back in town, going from here to there, i am back up to 16mpg average. But rarely going over 70. (Btw, not trying to make this another thread about mileage, more interested in the trips people have taken in the Jeep)

Search And Destroy 01-02-2011 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferyfghezzi (Post 959271)

keep that underbody clean. you got it clean keep it clean!!! i know it's gonna be hard though in that salt and snowww.