Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2010 JK PCM update (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2010-jk-pcm-update-73800.html)

ESP 12-29-2010 01:28 PM

2010 JK PCM update
 
Just returned from my local Jeep dealer to get an oil change. While I was there they told me that Chrysler has issued a free PCM (power control module) update for the Manual JKs. They said that this fixed a problem where the engine was not given enough gas to produce the correct amount of power. What I can tell after driving it is that everything feels much smoother and the gears especially feel better. Its a bit hard to explain but there has been a lot of talk on the WF lately about how people have trouble shifting between 1st and 2nd smoothly. Enough people asked who were experiencing this too so I thought I would post this info up.

After I got the update, every gear shifts smoothly and evenly. There is no catching or weird resistance between 1st and 2nd and my 6th gear is much more responsive. Actually, all gears have more power it feels like. I think that some of this was happening from the gears not receiving the proper amount of gas you thought you were giving when applying it during shifting. Also, the ECO mode that most people find amusing on Jeeps was taken off mine. The service department said that the recent Manual JKs should not have this option. It is only a working option for auto trannys and if you have the ECO light on yours and you have a manual, it will be taken off when you get the update.

Not sure yet but MPG seems to even be a bit better now as well. This might be all in my head but I'm getting 20.2 in the city with my stocker which is unreal. I've calculated this from miles driven and gallons used not just the reading on the dashboard. Thought I'd share. If any one has a new manual tranny JK and wants more info on this update with your dealer, make sure to contact them soon.

MTH 12-29-2010 01:35 PM

Very interesting. I'm going to check this out, thanks.

ESP 12-29-2010 05:47 PM

Here is the info about fixing the ECO meter on Manual JKs. This is copied from the service bulletin I received after having the PCM flashed for the update and for the fix for the ECO.

From the dealer:

Service Bulletin

This bulletin applies to all JK veheicles equipped with a 3.8L engine (sales code EGT) and a 6 speed manual transmission (sales code DEH) built before April 16th, 2010 (MDH 0416XX).

Symptom/Condition

The customer may notice that the fuel saver indicator light (FSI) is turning on and off. This engine and transmission combination on the vehicle was not designed to operate the FSI light as intended.

Updating the PCM software will turn off the FSI light, which will correct the conditions listed above.

MTH 01-12-2011 01:03 PM

Bumping this to note that I believe this thread and this thread (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/201...eas-67071.html) may be talking about the same thing.

In discussing another issue with Pato earlier this week, he noticed that my VIN was showing due for RRT #10-066, which sounds similar to what ESP observed here. I'm due to get mine flashed/updated/whatever this Saturday. Curious to see the results.

And wait, ESP did you say you're getting 20 mpg in the city?? I just did the math this morning based on my last two fill ups and figured out that I got on average (highway commute and around town on the weekend) 16.3 mpg over the past few days.

ESP 01-12-2011 01:22 PM

Glad to hear that you get to take yours in. I'm interested to see if another notices similar results afterward? Last fill up for me was 276 miles driven and 14 gallons used or 19.74 MPG in city. I was still seeing another 20+ miles on the DTE read out but filled up anyway. I'm gonna miss those numbers I'm sure once I get the MT tires on but that's not in my immediate future unfortunately. I'm a pretty slow driver and I shift as smoothly as possible consistently for every gear. Its pretty much ingrained into my driving style so it just seems normal to me after all these years instead of feeling like I'm making a special effort to conserve MPG. Are you going out to Selma this weekend? I don't know details quite yet but think there are quite a few getting together to wheel out there.

MTH 01-12-2011 01:33 PM

I can hardly ever afford to take a day to go play . . . leaving the 8 month pregnant wife home alone with two toddlers while I go muddin' and cleanin' for hours and hours. :D

BUT, once she's in good shape I'm going to convince her to COME and leave the critters with the grandparents! Then it won't be such a big deal that I need a few hours to clean up afterwards.

I was bummed this morning when I did the numbers myself. The magic computer had been telling me I was averaging about 17.5 to 18 mpg. :(

ESP 01-12-2011 02:48 PM

I used to get worse when I was running the Goodyear Duratracs. I was lucky to get above 16.7 or so. I also had the hard top on and was using the steel (heavier) wheels. Once I ditched the hard top and got the alloy wheels with the wrangler SR-A, my MPG went up like crazy. I will be getting some MT tires in the future but its really nice getting such great mileage for right now. I wish I had your tires on my JK. I love the BFGs and think once I get those on, then I can move on to bumper mods and such. Nothing serious but I want to add a light bar mount to the stock bumper and found a really good looking one.

Droelle 01-12-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP123
Just returned from my local Jeep dealer to get an oil change. While I was there they told me that Chrysler has issued a free PCM (power control module) update for the Manual JKs. They said that this fixed a problem where the engine was not given enough gas to produce the correct amount of power. What I can tell after driving it is that everything feels much smoother and the gears especially feel better. Its a bit hard to explain but there has been a lot of talk on the WF lately about how people have trouble shifting between 1st and 2nd smoothly. Enough people asked who were experiencing this too so I thought I would post this info up.

After I got the update, every gear shifts smoothly and evenly. There is no catching or weird resistance between 1st and 2nd and my 6th gear is much more responsive. Actually, all gears have more power it feels like. I think that some of this was happening from the gears not receiving the proper amount of gas you thought you were giving when applying it during shifting. Also, the ECO mode that most people find amusing on Jeeps was taken off mine. The service department said that the recent Manual JKs should not have this option. It is only a working option for auto trannys and if you have the ECO light on yours and you have a manual, it will be taken off when you get the update.

Not sure yet but MPG seems to even be a bit better now as well. This might be all in my head but I'm getting 20.2 in the city with my stocker which is unreal. I've calculated this from miles driven and gallons used not just the reading on the dashboard. Thought I'd share. If any one has a new manual tranny JK and wants more info on this update with your dealer, make sure to contact them soon.

I might have to go check that out. Plus I have a E brake problem. It wont hold my Jeep anymore on a incline. I can't leave in gear because I get up early and start her up in the morning to warm up. Plus my driveways at a slope there for I can't leave it in gear. So this more of a reason to go check it out.

Thanks for the notice.

Sent from my Droid using WF Access

MTH 01-12-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP123 (Post 984726)
I want to add a light bar mount to the stock bumper and found a really good looking one.

Pics? Identity?

Not to highjack, but hey, it's your thread anyway. :D

ESP 01-12-2011 07:33 PM

Here it is: Off Camber Fabrications 130716 - Off Camber Fabrications Frame Mount Light Bar for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Imag...52-add3-lg.jpg
http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Imag...52-add4-lg.jpg
http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Imag...52-add5-lg.jpg

MTH 01-12-2011 08:43 PM

Ahh yes, I've seen that one. Good look!

tmoca 01-17-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP123 (Post 952570)
Just returned from my local Jeep dealer to get an oil change. While I was there they told me that Chrysler has issued a free PCM (power control module) update for the Manual JKs. They said that this fixed a problem where the engine was not given enough gas to produce the correct amount of power. What I can tell after driving it is that everything feels much smoother and the gears especially feel better. Its a bit hard to explain but there has been a lot of talk on the WF lately about how people have trouble shifting between 1st and 2nd smoothly. Enough people asked who were experiencing this too so I thought I would post this info up.

After I got the update, every gear shifts smoothly and evenly. There is no catching or weird resistance between 1st and 2nd and my 6th gear is much more responsive. Actually, all gears have more power it feels like. I think that some of this was happening from the gears not receiving the proper amount of gas you thought you were giving when applying it during shifting. Also, the ECO mode that most people find amusing on Jeeps was taken off mine. The service department said that the recent Manual JKs should not have this option. It is only a working option for auto trannys and if you have the ECO light on yours and you have a manual, it will be taken off when you get the update.

Not sure yet but MPG seems to even be a bit better now as well. This might be all in my head but I'm getting 20.2 in the city with my stocker which is unreal. I've calculated this from miles driven and gallons used not just the reading on the dashboard. Thought I'd share. If any one has a new manual tranny JK and wants more info on this update with your dealer, make sure to contact them soon.

I just had this done today for an automatic JK. I too was in for just an oil change and they said they would do it. It slipped my mind to ask what issues it was addressing...anyway.

On my drive home I immediately noticed the acceleration/take off difference, so I hopped online to see what the update was for. Seems good to me.

I will have to watch my mileage and see if it makes a difference there too. :)

ESP 01-17-2011 12:53 PM

Interesting..I didn't know they would apply this update for the auto trannys too? Its seemed to me that they said it was only for the manuals but maybe it's for both. Not sure how it would affect the auto other than more power but it also made each of the gears in the manuals feel much more responsive.

SilverFun 01-17-2011 03:07 PM

I just had my PCM flashed/updated today and the shifting does seem smoother and the pickup seems more responsive. Everyone should have this done. I also thought it was for 6 speed manuals also.

ESP 01-17-2011 03:20 PM

Did you get yours done yet MTH?

kik 01-17-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverFun (Post 995518)
I just had my PCM flashed/updated today and the shifting does seem smoother and the pickup seems more responsive. Everyone should have this done. I also thought it was for 6 speed manuals also.

For JK's with an auto. trans. it will make the shift points feel "crisper". You don't get any more power out of a 3.8 than it already has. Responsive shifts are a good thing. As for the 6spd., I don't see how that can work because you obviously make your own shift points and the power you have is the power you get. With that said, if fuel delivery is re-calculated via a computer update then you would have the power you are supposed to have. As far as a manual shifting better, than can't happen with a computer tweak because it's mechanical. The only thing that can make it "feel better" possibly is if the rpm's are slightly increased by the flash so when you're shifting you don't feel as if the engine is dogging it. Since my 10 Rubi. 6spd runs great as far as gas mileage, overall smooth shifting cold or hot, etc. I think I'll go with if it ain't broke don't fix it. Thanks for the info. on this.

MTH 01-17-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP123
Did you get yours done yet MTH?

Yes, but I've been out of state so someone else brought it in for me and I haven't yet driven. I'm really looking forward to it though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kik
Since my 10 Rubi. 6spd runs great as far as gas mileage, overall smooth shifting cold or hot, etc. I think I'll go with if it ain't broke don't fix it.

You might want to call your dealer to see if your VIN is included. It might not be, but if it is, it'd be hard to see how the update would be bad!

kik 01-17-2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 995903)
Yes, but I've been out of state so someone else brought it in for me and I haven't yet driven. I'm really looking forward to it though.



You might want to call your dealer to see if your VIN is included. It might not be, but if it is, it'd be hard to see how the update would be bad!

Thanks for the tip. Checked the web site and it was negative for my vin.

Weed Hopper 01-17-2011 07:27 PM

kik, what website did you check your vin at?

MTH 01-17-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weed Hopper
kik, what website did you check your vin at?

Good question--remember it's not a recall, it's an RRT. It won't show on any Jeep website I know of, but you might know of one I don't. Pato is the one who told me I was due for the update when he was looking up something else for me.

kik 01-18-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 996764)
Good question--remember it's not a recall, it's an RRT. It won't show on any Jeep website I know of, but you might know of one I don't. Pato is the one who told me I was due for the update when he was looking up something else for me.

Jeep owner's/Mopar web site, but it's not a recall so I'll have to wait and see.

ESP 01-18-2011 08:05 AM

or just call your local dealer and ask them to check your Jeep against their computers to see if yours can get it.

MTH 01-20-2011 10:46 AM

I've now driven around town several times since the flash with my manual transmission.

I'm really, really surprised by the results. Previously, I'd had a mystery "hitch" shifting to second. Sometimes the gear would even grind a bit before it set in, or I'd have to double clutch or pause in neutral for a second or two before shifting to second from first. This felt like a mechanical/synchronizer problem to me, so I figured the flash wouldn't fix it.

I was incorrect--it's now as smooth from first to second as it is in every other gear. Really surprising. It also feels a bit peppier taking off from stops, but that may just be because I can shift more smoothly.

Whatever the case, if you've got a 2010, I highly recommend you call your dealer and have them check to see if your VIN is up RRT 10-066.

phottomatt 01-20-2011 11:58 AM

Hmmm, just called my dealer, he said that update was for the autos only. But I don't have much faith in my dealership service department, I'm going to try a different dealership next time I need something.

ESP 01-20-2011 12:16 PM

From the dealer:

Service Bulletin

This bulletin applies to all JK veheicles equipped with a 3.8L engine (sales code EGT) and a 6 speed manual transmission (sales code DEH) built before April 16th, 2010 (MDH 0416XX).


He's wrong. The update is for manual Jeeps but I beleive some autos have gotten flashed too. Look into it at another dealer location.

firehawk_1989 01-20-2011 12:54 PM

Dealer refuses to do it.

ESP 01-20-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firehawk_1989 (Post 1002763)
Dealer refuses to do it.

Go to another dealer and have them run your VIN to see if your Jeep can get it.

SilverFun 01-20-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1002488)
I've now driven around town several times since the flash with my manual transmission.

I'm really, really surprised by the results. Previously, I'd had a mystery "hitch" shifting to second. Sometimes the gear would even grind a bit before it set in, or I'd have to double clutch or pause in neutral for a second or two before shifting to second from first. This felt like a mechanical/synchronizer problem to me, so I figured the flash wouldn't fix it.

I was incorrect--it's now as smooth from first to second as it is in every other gear. Really surprising. It also feels a bit peppier taking off from stops, but that may just be because I can shift more smoothly.

Whatever the case, if you've got a 2010, I highly recommend you call your dealer and have them check to see if your VIN is up RRT 10-066.

MTH, you described it exactly the way it feels now that i had mine done !

jeffk42 01-20-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

The customer may notice that the fuel saver indicator light (FSI) is turning on and off. This engine and transmission combination on the vehicle was not designed to operate the FSI light as intended.

Updating the PCM software will turn off the FSI light, which will correct the conditions listed above.
I wonder why later JK's like the 2011's aren't included if this is the case. The tranny and engine are the same.

Whatever the problem was in 2010 that made it useless (based on an earlier ECO light thread), it's not the same for 2011, so hopefully I won't see my ECO light disappear after an update some time down the road....

MTH 01-20-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firehawk_1989
Dealer refuses to do it.

Ran your VIN and says you don't need it, or won't run your VIN at all?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverFun

MTH, you described it exactly the way it feels now that i had mine done !

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk42
I wonder why later JK's like the 2011's aren't included if this is the case. The tranny and engine are the same.

As I understand it, it's a software problem, so my assumption is that they fixed that little bit of programing before manufacturing the 2011s. Still, you could have your VIN run anyway to see if it applies.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 AM.