Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   thinking about buying.. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/thinking-about-buying-7387.html)

2dreamx 04-16-2007 09:34 PM

thinking about buying..

i am in the market for a new vehicle and i've wanted a jeep for years. my only concern is gas milage, about every other weekend i drive from virginia to pennsylvania. its about a 700 mile round trip. what kind of mpg could i expect and whats a good cruising speed for a jeep?

thanks in advance, keegan

amerijeep 04-16-2007 09:38 PM

I never measured my 4.0, but I know it sucks.

debruins 04-16-2007 09:43 PM

between 10 and 20 depending on how you drive, what mods you have, and if it an auto or a manual or a 2.5 or a 4.0

I think advertised is 14 city, 19 hwy, but that is the most you will probably get out of it

Jeep57 04-16-2007 09:45 PM

The MPG is the last thing to worry about with a Jeep Wrangler. The fun to drive factor is #1. To answer your question, I drove from PA to SC, and got about 18MPG. You will not regret your purchase.

Joes 04-16-2007 09:58 PM

IF your going to do that much highway driving in my opinion i would not want a Wrangler..i would opt for a Grand Cherokee or similar with a V8 so i can drive at about 75 mph..a Wrangler driving long miles can wear you out especially with a head wind..i think one poster put it best when he said it's like driving a refrigerator down the highway...i love my Wrangler BUT to do a 700 mile roundtrip drive every other week is too much for me..as far as average cruising speed it would probably be 65 mph w/a Wrangler IF no headwind..IF the wind is pushing u u may get 18 mpg if not much less..also get the 6 cyl.if u get a Wrangler...good luck and let us know what u get..:) JEEPS are great

AzTJ 04-16-2007 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joes (Post 72161)
IF your going to do that much highway driving in my opinion i would not want a Wrangler..i would opt for a Grand Cherokee or similar

Yeah - I'd opt for a Cherokee or GrandCherokee in that case. My mothers Cherokee gets better milage than my TJ for sure, but I think thats because of the overdrive and light foot :D

coolman8bc 04-16-2007 10:48 PM

I drive around 200 miles a week to and from school. My 2.5L gets around 18mpg not considering wind, etc. I think the most fuel efficient way to drive is under 60, but i'm sure that depends on if you have a 4.0 or the 2.5L as well as the aftermarket lifts and stuff.

SportsGal501 04-17-2007 06:13 AM

If you are going to be driving that many miles every week or every other,I wouldn't do it in a Wrangler.Maybe a Grand Cherokee or if a new vehicle the Patriot (yeah..I like it).

Wrangler is a fun,run around town vehicle,maybe do no more than a two hour drive/haul.But to be in it for 700 miles,your knees,your back and everything in between will be achy by the time you are done.

mud707 04-17-2007 07:23 AM

I use mine for work trips to coal mines in Indiana and Illionois sometimes, which is about 1200 miles round trip from where I live here in PA. I wouldn't take it if my work didn't pay for the gas, since I average 19-20 mpg. Comfort wise I never had a problem with cramped legs or a sore back. I usually cruise between 65-70 mph throw in a good cd a crank it up.