Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Camo Thoughts (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/camo-thoughts-73892.html)

ScorpioScotty 12-30-2010 08:50 AM

Camo Thoughts

Bought a 92yj in August and am considering paint. Someone along the line of owners (not the one I bought from) had a batman symbol (sticker) on the hood.... sticker is no longer there but it is the shiniest spot on the hood and bugs me! I tried buffing and waxing which helps... but it's still there. Original paint is pretty good other than the hood which is faded (all but that dang symbol).... but I did add diamond plate kick panels below the doors... I didn't care for the stainless shine so I painted them flat black and really like how they look and blend in.

REALLY considering a camo job.... not sure if I would camo the hardtop also or leave it flat black... Thinking a dark base camo style...not the desert or snow styles.. Have researched some DIY kits... thoughts?

Suggestions are welcome - folks here are very helpful!!

YJPunisher213 12-30-2010 09:00 AM

Could always find ya a used hood on craigslist or ebay. I dig the flat black. When I bought my hardtop it came with blue full doors. My Jeep was a gloss black and didnt want to have a multese Jeep I immediatly picked up some cans of black primer spray paint. Liked it so much I did the whole Jeep for $25. EASY TOUCH UP TOO!!! I have pics of it on here if ya wanna check it out.

jp2611 12-30-2010 09:03 AM

Having been in the military for a while, for me personally I don't want any vehicle "camo" anymore. Maybe if going hunting/guide type service I would do it, but me personally would maybe experiment see if could match hood to say the flat black kick panels? and maybe the tailgate as well? IDK camo just doesn't "do it" for me.

ScorpioScotty 12-30-2010 09:48 AM

I do like the flat black look - great for touching up the kickplates once a month. Keeps the small dings and ripples from being noticable too - Just don't want it to look like an unfinished project? Do you think it would clash with the chrome rims?

Geoff@Bestop 12-30-2010 09:55 AM

I use to own a couple of old Scouts. Some of those guys did what they call "Two Can Cammo" paint jobs. Basically two cans of spray paint at a time, one in each hand, in different colors.

I'm not saying it looked good.

ScorpioScotty 12-30-2010 10:02 AM

I've seen some of those.... Not the look for me. I'm thinking a more "pro" look...but DIY. Looked at some wraps "Realtree" and such but the concern with them is touchup.

Haven't really settled on what exactly I want... still looking at options and ideas. Sooner or later something will strike and I'll know it's right for me.

toshpate 12-30-2010 10:13 AM

if your yj hood is like mine you could just paint that center part a different "accent" color. I have been debating orange on mine because I have a spot that is bad on it too. or you can do like the new COD black ops jeep and have that part matte as well as some other parts like your kick panels and such

ScorpioScotty 12-30-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toshpate (Post 954187)
if your yj hood is like mine you could just paint that center part a different "accent" color. I have been debating orange on mine because I have a spot that is bad on it too. or you can do like the new COD black ops jeep and have that part matte as well as some other parts like your kick panels and such

That might be a good start... kind of liking the idea of just painting the raised part matte black. Would at least get rid of that batman symbol for now! I will look up the COD's too and see if I like.

Garyk 12-30-2010 11:52 AM

The PO of my jeep was retired army and painted the jeep camo with spray cans, looked like hell, every kind of paint you can imagine was on it. Took me 2 gallons of lacquer thinner and a lot of hours but got it all off.......interesting part was that the paint underneath was bright red and in pretty good shape....

gennybro 12-30-2010 08:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is what I did to my trailer,was just experimenting ,didnt want white,painted it flat black. But it looked to much like a rolling coffin. So I decided to try my hand at camo,never done it before,but I dont think it came out to bad.
ok, I started out with the trailer painted flat black,looked around at my surrondings,and decided on 3 natural colors. I used green ,brown and a biege color.
my firest step was to hold up tree limbs and twigs up against the trailer,sprayed that with the biege color,leaveing the black out line of the tree limb. Did this to the whole surface of the trailer.
next I picked random spots on the trailer and took the green paint and made solid green spots about a foot or so square,then I took a branch of a tree that had leaves on it held that up against the green spots that I had made and used the biege to spray on the leaves leaveing the im print of the leaves on the trailer as green.
Next I took the brown,and randomly applied the brown paint, it didnt turn out to bad for a rattle can camo job. I'll probably do that to my jeep when the time comes to paint it,its something that can be touched up very easily,and the price is right.
Myself I'm not gonna spend a whole lot of money on a paint job on my jeep cause its gonna go on the trails and get scratched up with brush and what not.so this works for me.

IndyJeepMan 12-30-2010 08:11 PM

Good patterns! I would of started on a darker back drop, not black, but a brown or a darker green. The white is too bright.

94YJGUY 12-30-2010 08:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
this is what I want

gennybro 12-30-2010 08:44 PM

yes I agree, there is to much of a light color to it,but it,s nothing that cant be easily and cheaply fixed. It was my first attempt at this kinda stuff,just gotta expermint with the colors.
Now that I take a good look at the picture,I think that if the trailer was the same as the ladder racks on it,it would look a lot better,but it still blends in good in the forest.

scott howard 12-30-2010 08:59 PM

i have two done in camo .
i good pm ya a better pic of one if you want

sppfields 12-30-2010 09:05 PM

I agree with doing the matte black on the raised portion of the hood.

60mg 12-30-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94YJGUY
this is what I want

That's what I'm doing next summer. The only thing I might do the accents (hinges, hoos hooks, etc.) in black. Not decided yet. Actually I'll take this pic and play with Photoshop to make those in black to see how it is.

94YJGUY 12-30-2010 09:17 PM

I always liked the matte look, green or black. And post a pic when your done

60mg 12-30-2010 10:01 PM

as soon as :D

not trying to hijack the thread!!! but I just noticed where you live :) I got family there that's been trying to get my ass there to visit them. What do you guys have there in terms of medium offroading (I'm not implying that you have only flat land there though :D)?

Wrangler06 12-30-2010 10:15 PM

i love love LOVE the color of that 4dr jk!!

ScorpioScotty 01-02-2011 03:39 PM

Liking the YJ with the flat green and black accents (last pic). Might have to swap out my chrome rims though...not sure how they are going to look with anything other than shiny paint.

ScorpioScotty 01-02-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScorpioScotty (Post 960020)
Liking the YJ with the flat green and black accents (last pic). Might have to swap out my chrome rims though...not sure how they are going to look with anything other than shiny paint.

Of course if I do that.... gonna HAVE to get bigger tires...and some lift :D

Off topic question.... how much lift can I put on without having to change driveshafts and such??

Monsterenergy 01-02-2011 04:34 PM

That first tj is awesome and I own a yj and love it so that's saying alot

beemerhead 01-03-2011 09:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine, did it with Reelfoot stencils.

ScorpioScotty 01-03-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beemerhead (Post 961878)
Here's mine, did it with Reelfoot stencils.

NICE! Great Job!

ktbanone 01-03-2011 10:17 AM

camo wrap

i do camo wraps and did my '95, turns heads everywhere i go.

material cost around $400. 30 patterns available.

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/...DSCN1800-1.jpg

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/...p/DSCN1806.jpg

beemerhead 01-03-2011 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, it took awhile, but I like it. Here's a closeup that shows the detail better.

YJPunisher213 01-03-2011 12:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I bought my hardtop it came with blue full doors. My Jeep was a gloss black and didnt want to have a multese Jeep I immediatly picked up some cans of black primer spray paint. Liked it so much I did the whole Jeep for $25. EASY TOUCH UP TOO!!! I have pics of it on here if ya wanna check it out. :punk:

sevenservices 01-03-2011 12:39 PM

I like it, looks sharp!

superduty_5.9 03-25-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktbanone (Post 961974)
i do camo wraps and did my '95, turns heads everywhere i go.

material cost around $400. 30 patterns available.

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/...DSCN1800-1.jpg

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/...p/DSCN1806.jpg

Man that is sweet! I would love to do that to my 88. It is red and is about my least favorite color.

s_man692000 03-25-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJPunisher213 (Post 954072)
Could always find ya a used hood on craigslist or ebay. I dig the flat black. When I bought my hardtop it came with blue full doors. My Jeep was a gloss black and didnt want to have a multese Jeep I immediatly picked up some cans of black primer spray paint. Liked it so much I did the whole Jeep for $25. EASY TOUCH UP TOO!!! I have pics of it on here if ya wanna check it out.

Badass jeep man ! :punk: