Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   windshield down? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/windshield-down-74.html)

khenderson 04-18-2005 12:38 PM

windshield down?
 
Alright....I know I can't be the only one that tools around with the windshield down. I love to drive that way....so free, open, and completely unconfined. Granted, I never go above 40mph, but who else does this?

amerijeep 04-18-2005 03:50 PM

Not me. It dries my contacts badly. There is way too many bugs in Mississippi to even think about it, too.

deverhart 04-18-2005 05:16 PM

stop lying kyle, there is nothing free, or open about taking a bee to the forehead at 40 mph.... you just think it looks cool... Thats like saying you like to play football with no pads because its more open and unconfined and raw and you can smack your head against someone elses!!!

khenderson 04-18-2005 08:05 PM

you know you like to ride that way. and i've only gotten hit by a bug once....and i saw it coming, i just couldn't get out of the way fast enough.

BeerMonkeY 06-12-2005 12:05 PM

i used to do it with mt yj all the time, just wear sunglasses to keep the bugs out.

Preat 11-09-2005 02:39 PM

Don't forget to keep your mouth shut! I would highly suggest against singing along with the radio while driving with the windshield down!

amerijeep 11-09-2005 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preat
Don't forget to keep your mouth shut! I would highly suggest against singing along with the radio while driving with the windshield down!


You said it, Brother.

whiteyj 11-09-2005 10:21 PM

Waaaaay tooooo much work for me! Rather drive around with the top and doors off!

drummerwookie 11-10-2005 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteyj
Waaaaay tooooo much work for me! Rather drive around with the top and doors off!


yea, i have to agree a little there...lol......since i have the KCs on my windsheild, it would really be a pain in the ass....but my dad does it on his YJ when hes just driving around the farm

U.S.MarineLJ 11-26-2005 10:13 PM

I have never understood why people would need or want to drive with the windshield down? Moving the winshield down is a hold over from the original jeeps. This feature allowed soldiers to shoot to the front if need be, also I have seen on the history channel that by folding the window down it reduced glare to give away the jeeps position to aircraft. I mean if your going to do a drive by, fold the window down, if not, keep it up. Haha.

John

Jack 11-28-2005 07:14 AM

Windshield
 
How hard is it to lower the windshield? Also, as I live in the North, how do I prevent salt damage to the windshild hinges (or don't bother?)

jeeperman 11-28-2005 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack
How hard is it to lower the windshield? Also, as I live in the North, how do I prevent salt damage to the windshild hinges (or don't bother?)

Not that hard to lower the windsheild on a new vehicle, just some bolts that need to come out and the bars above the doors (or door openings), on YJ's and TJ's, and the windsheild will fold down. As far as keeping your hinges protected from salt... Don't drive in the snow? Other than that, make sure you keep them oiled and use them. Fold the windsheild down as soon as the snow melts in the spring and re-oil. Have fun!

Jack 11-29-2005 10:49 AM

windshield down
 
You might want to put it down if your wife won't let you get a Harley. How hard is it? How long does it take? How to you keep the hinges from rusting? (I live up north).

jeeperman 11-29-2005 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack
You might want to put it down if your wife won't let you get a Harley. How hard is it? How long does it take? How to you keep the hinges from rusting? (I live up north).

It takes about 10-15 minutes ones you know which screws/bolts come out and have the tools handy. The only way to keep the hinges from rusting is to make sure to oil often and use them (fold the windsheild down) frequently. After 2-3 years in the salt they will be seized and you will most likely need to replace them for them to be functional.

moonpie 12-05-2005 08:09 PM

I ride a motorcycle and sometimes a beetle will hit your helmet at speed and it can sure be loud. I agree it is feels good to ride in the breeze but some of the bugs can really smart.

legacy 12-12-2005 01:35 PM

i'v driven with NO windshield!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...windshield.jpg
yes it was cold........

ok, maybe i wasn't driving but it was close enough!!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...eeptowjeep.jpg


and yes, the glasses do help keep the bugs out.....and stones.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...windinface.jpg

PS: if you drive without a windshield, don't go down and freshly stoned road..........it hurts just a little bit.... :mad:

Lakelandwrangler 12-27-2005 09:10 PM

Well I drove mine without a windshield at 125 Mph and didn't worry about the bugs.. they make quality Glasses for Motorcycles that keep the bugs and the air out that makes your eyes dry. I don't want a dorky looking windshield.. Just open your lips where the bugs hit your teeth don't hurt as much that way... Oh ! I forgot to mention that I was riding a Motorcycle...LOL

byramfeltner 12-30-2005 05:52 PM

Bees to the face suck
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deverhart
stop lying kyle, there is nothing free, or open about taking a bee to the forehead at 40 mph.... you just think it looks cool... Thats like saying you like to play football with no pads because its more open and unconfined and raw and you can smack your head against someone elses!!!

About 4 months ago I got ran off of the road on my bike. After removing my bike from the ditch I got myself back on the bike and headed down the road (just a few scratches on the bike, and no the driver didn't stop. I was badly bruised up though). I was so mad, that I had the face mask up on my helmet to get some air. After riding for about 10 more minutes I had some sort of bug fly in the helmet, hit me on the cheek, and get lodged between my helmet and my cheek. A took my hand and tried to get the bug out of my helmet. Luck would have it that it was a bee. It stung me on the cheek needless to say, and seeing as how Im allergic to bees, I swelled up like a balloon. That was a bad day. Actually, it was on July 4th.

hmenker 01-02-2006 03:26 AM

I'm with Deverhart and US Marine LJ; I don't understand why anyone would want to drive with the windshield down. Where I live the bugs can be most challenging in the summer months (especially yellowjackets, hornets, and bumblebees) and, just with the doors off and the top down you can get still get smacked pretty well driving on the asphalt. I can't begin to imagine crusin' with the windshield down. I vote to take the doors off, put the top down, and enjoy but clean the bugs off the glass and not the face.

jeeperman 01-02-2006 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmenker
I'm with Deverhart and US Marine LJ; I don't understand why anyone would want to drive with the windshield down. Where I live the bugs can be most challenging in the summer months (especially yellowjackets, hornets, and bumblebees) and, just with the doors off and the top down you can get still get smacked pretty well driving on the asphalt. I can't begin to imagine crusin' with the windshield down. I vote to take the doors off, put the top down, and enjoy but clean the bugs off the glass and not the face.

I don't know about "cruizin" with the windshield down, but I know when you are out on tight/steep/off-camber trails, it is an advantage to have the windshield down because of the extra clearance you get and the extra visibility. The other bonus is that if/when you flop your junk, it's one less thing for the body shop to replace!

spacomponents 01-07-2006 06:07 PM

Hey, I'm about to buy a Jeep, maybe 2-3 years old. How do I access the bolts to fold the windshield? I love being able to lower it when near the beach, for a better, clearer view. Thanks much!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 AM.