Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (
-   -   Replacing Center Console Subwoofer (

jncodudez 12-31-2010 02:41 PM

Replacing Center Console Subwoofer
Im thinking about replacing my center console subwoofer, but I really dont have a clue what Im doing. I found out how to get everything taken apart etc. Im really just clueless on what would be a good setup. Im looking at getting a Kicker CVT652, Kicker 10CVT652 6-1/2" Shallow-Mount Comp VT Subwoofer CVT652

I was also looking at replacing the stock amp with the Kicker DX100.2, Kicker DX100.2 (08DX100.2) 2-Channel Car Amplifier

I dont know if this amp is even suitable for the subwoofer and vise versa. Would it even be a decent setup? Will it improve the overall sound of the bass? Not looking for anything to shake the neighbors, just looking for an upgrade that sounds better.

Tjlangston 12-31-2010 05:29 PM

I went with the 8" kicker shallow sub. Didn't require too much cutting. Just got an amp and matched specs to the sub. I am very pleased. I actually had the 6.5 kicker but overpowered it and blew it. 8" was much better.

Kyle03Sport 01-01-2011 09:09 AM

I replaced mine with a 6.5" aftermarket, and I'm happy with it. That being said, I do not have an aftermarket amp installed. I have considered doing that - have you guys just put the amp under the driver's seat?

jncodudez - there is a GREAT step-by-step write up somewhere on the forum that I used. I tried to search for it, but I can't find it. If you did some digging, I'm sure you'll get to it. It's not very difficult. If you have a dremel tool, you're set once you get into the actual speaker "pocket/sleeve".

Tjlangston 01-01-2011 10:48 AM

My amp was too big for drivers seat, I put it under the back seat.

You should consider an amp. Not sure what sub you have but cannot imagine you are get much from that factory amp. I had to ditch the factory amp, it wouldn't drive even the 6.5" kicker well at all.

neverfastenough1 01-01-2011 10:54 AM

Lol, I fixed my crappy stock sub. I pulled the fuse! Not really needed for country.

GulfShores 03-29-2011 02:34 PM

I appreciate all the posts about blown subs. I had the dealership replace sub with another factory sub and blew that, too. I just bought a Kicker 10CVT654 6.5" woofer 4 ohm and a JL Audio 250 watt amp and it's being installed right now. I will let you know how it goes. He's going to attempt to put the amp under the driver's seat.

Kyle03Sport 03-29-2011 03:15 PM

I am actually about to replace my factory head unit. I have heard differing reports on whether or not this will affect the center console sub. Best I can tell, sometimes the console speaker stops working, other times it doesn't...even if you wire it correctly.

Does anyone have any insight into this?