Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Experience with "Pavement Ends" Flip top anyone? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/experience-with-pavement-ends-flip-top-anyone-7411.html)

catoct 04-17-2007 09:15 PM

Experience with "Pavement Ends" Flip top anyone?

Hi there!

I currently only have a hard top for my 2000 TJ and since it is slowly but surely getting warm I am looking around for a soft top. I have read here before that the Bestop seems to be the most recommended. While researching I came across the Pavement Ends Flip top and I kind of like the concept. Does anyone have experience with this or any other Pavement Ends top?

Thanks!

Link

amerijeep 04-17-2007 10:35 PM

My Pavement Ends top is original equipment to my jeep. I have no reason to complain seeing as it is almost 14 years old and is in very condition to this day.

I can't say anything bad about it. Never ripped or broke a zipper. Windows are a little scarred, but that's mainly because I haven't taken the best care of them. I store it very hard!

Omega_TJ_06 04-17-2007 11:24 PM

I've never heard anything about them, but that seems like a very reasonable price.

catoct 04-19-2007 05:28 PM

Hmm, doesn't seem like it's a widely spread soft top, but thanks for your feedback! If I don't find a better deal on a Bestop I will probably go for it and report back at the end of the year how it held up for its first season.

Thanks again!

JCS05Rubi 04-19-2007 07:19 PM

It seems like Pavement Ends is kind of 3rd in line (OEM,Bestop,Pavement Ends) from what I can tell, but I have ALWAYS been told to either go OEM or go Bestop, otherwise you are going to regret it and buy one or the other anyway. But, thats all heirsay.

amerijeep 04-19-2007 07:42 PM

Who is OEM? Original equipment?

amerijeep 04-19-2007 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catoct (Post 73379)
Hmm, doesn't seem like it's a widely spread soft top, but thanks for your feedback! If I don't find a better deal on a Bestop I will probably go for it and report back at the end of the year how it held up for its first season.

Thanks again!

I don't know why. It was the stock jeep top for 9 years of YJ production. Maybe I have the last original top around.

The fact is, with a soft top, you will eventually have to replace it. They do not last forever. My top being as old as it is, seems like a good investment. Whose to say if everyone will be as fortunate. bestop is a great top. I wouldn't buy one for two reasons. one is, I have excelllent experience with Pavement Ends. Second, why put that much money into a top that I would rather see hanging on the wall of my garage than on my jeep.

JCS05Rubi 04-19-2007 07:52 PM

OEM = Original Equiment yes. I agree with you AmeriJeep, I am just letting him know what I have been told. I usually just keep sewing mine up untill it is too painfull putting it up and down again. If I ever get to that point (2 wranglers, never replaced a top..) I think I am going to go with the Fastback top, Viking is it? Softop and a bikini in one, plus it looks good. Whats to go wrong?

amerijeep 04-19-2007 08:04 PM

I hear people saying the OEM top is better than Pavement Ends.

The OEM top on a TJ is Bestop and on a YJ the OEM top was Pavement Ends.

Where is the third option?

JCS05Rubi 04-19-2007 08:10 PM

Not sure? I have always just heard either go with OEM or go with Bestop or you will be disapointed (only ever had a TJ). I did not know OEM was a bestop though.

amerijeep 04-19-2007 08:53 PM

I guess we have it straight now.

Steve97TJ 04-20-2007 03:51 AM

Dont waste your money. They arent worth it one bit. I had a sunrider and within 4 months the frame had broken and it was a gradual downfall from there. Ive had my bestop supertop one for a year and a half maybe and i love it. So much better quality and i got the tinted windows and i feel like my jeep stays cooler in the sun. I also got the full soft doors. Id def recommend them with it. Easy to throw in the back.

Ill take some photos of my old PE if you want me to. Its layin in my barn waiting for me to burn. If i was you id get the new viking top. Cant beat it. Good quality and so versatile. Doesnt use a frame and you may be able to keep it on with your hardtop on im not sure.

94riggs 04-25-2007 02:19 PM

I need a soft top BAD. Give me your PE, no matter what shape it is in. I will take it. I have a 94 YJ and need a black top ASAP.

JCS05Rubi 04-25-2007 07:00 PM

Judgin' by his screenname, i think he has a 97 TJ bro, not a yj :(

Colorado_Wilderness2000 07-24-2009 01:17 PM

I have a currently a '00 TJ with a pavement ends soft top and have had it for almost 5 years now and really enjoy it. It provides the ease of having a full soft top plus the sunrider option. Though the one downside is that it does not fold back completely for open air driving. You can only flip back the front part. But overall it's a great top to have and I do enjoy mine a lot as I use the flip top a lot during the summer without the windows.

jdhallissey 07-24-2009 01:31 PM

I would just get a bikini top or viking top if it were mine. Actually I want a viking top. It comes with I think 3 tops.

Neil F. 07-24-2009 02:54 PM

The Viking does not come with 3 tops. The Viking side and rear windows may be folded into a pouch in the top. This makes it a safari type top. The entire top may be removed but that is a little more work to take it on/off.

TJSportGirl 10-10-2009 06:25 PM

I did have one yes, but I now need windows for it lol. I enjoyed it as I had it for probably close to 8 years without any major problems. It's great for the summertime, though the one downside is that the zippers after a while go bad, of which that was my fault, and the zippers started sticking and not working properly. Other than that, I loved it, but now sadly am looking to get rid of it somehow by the middle of next year. :(

ExDementia 10-11-2009 11:42 AM

Zombie!!! Ahhh the Zombie thread!!!! Spare the children pleeeaase!!!

:flipoff:

only in a jeep 11-27-2011 10:57 AM

I did a mod to my factory top (05 tj) and I love it .and works perfect

Barrie 11-27-2011 11:02 AM

Zombie thread, smells of dirt. :surrender: