Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/)
-   -   GPS unit (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/gps-unit-74520.html)

Raidue 01-04-2011 12:15 AM

GPS unit
 
Anyone have any recommendations for a GPS unit? I almost bought a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx 2 or 3 times for use on my KLR650, but now that I have the jeep portability and small size is no longer an issue. :D

Ultimately I want something that you can get topo's for. The in town stuff and highway stuff would be a complete bonus as far as I am concerned.

:zap:

kansasboy91 01-04-2011 03:04 AM

Just get a smart phone like and andriod and just use google maps or the navigation that uses google maps. It's updated and auto updates. Thats what I do and it gives you turn by turn you can mark places and everything. Like if you get out of your Jeep and go for a walk you can mark it, walk away, get lost, and pull it up and guide you right to it.

Kate 01-04-2011 04:32 AM

I have a Garmin Oregon 550t and I absolutely LOVE it!

https://static.garmincdn.com/en/prod...11/g/cf-lg.jpg
I've had a Garmin Street finder and a Magellan before and nothing I have seen comes even close.

yomondo 01-04-2011 10:09 AM

If you have or can get one of the larger screen Android phones and car docking station, that would be a good option. On my Droid X, I use Backcountry Navigator software with pre-downloaded maps for trail navigation, and the included Google Navigation software for street navigation. Because I also happen to have a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (which I initially bought for hiking), I also use that for trail navigation in addition to the phone. I have one device zoomed in and the other zoomed out, so I have both views at the same time.

txron 01-04-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raidue (Post 963944)
Anyone have any recommendations for a GPS unit? I almost bought a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx 2 or 3 times for use on my KLR650, but now that I have the jeep portability and small size is no longer an issue. :D

Ultimately I want something that you can get topo's for. The in town stuff and highway stuff would be a complete bonus as far as I am concerned.

:zap:

I use a Garmin 276C this was primarily designed as a marine unit, screen is a great size sets on the dash using the marine mount and 3M dbl sticky in the Rubi and easy on the eyes. I have topo maps on a removable card and North America street and highways. It has much more user custom controls that none of the Nuvis have, some reason it shows more streets then 4 nuvi units that i have used. Water proof, antenna can be detached and an external used if needed,talks to me (and sometimes I talk to It). I have a Garmin 76csx when need to leave the Jeep as well as the 276 has built in battery.
They no longer carry this unit as its been discontinued but I am sure something has replaced it, I hope if this would go out I would replace with the same unit in a heart beat. In heavy tree dense areas the 76 has a much better receiver which is the same as the 60csx but getting older and my eyes are not like they use to be, so hence the 276:D

deepbluerubi 01-04-2011 08:24 PM

[QUOTE=Raidue;963944]Anyone have any recommendations for a GPS unit? I almost bought a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx 2 or 3 times for use on my KLR650, but now that I have the jeep portability and small size is no longer an issue. :D

Ultimately I want something that you can get topo's for. The in town stuff and highway stuff would be a complete bonus as far as I am concerned.

If you don't need it to be portable I got a rearview mirror unit from Rydeen. (mn302) It has a backup camera feature, bluetooth and you can also put an additonal video input into it also for rock climbing on the front. Looks factory and an easy install.

Kate 01-06-2011 01:05 PM

@deepblurubi - see my post above.

As far as using a "phone" for a GPS, I Geocache with friends who use their phones.
Although they work well MOST of the time, I have had many occasions where they have lost service, thereby losing their navigational ability as well. So I hand them my GPS, which is still working.

Just food for thought

afrats 01-06-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate (Post 964021)
I have a Garmin Oregon 550t and I absolutely LOVE it!

https://static.garmincdn.com/en/prod...11/g/cf-lg.jpg
I've had a Garmin Street finder and a Magellan before and nothing I have seen comes even close.

x2. This is a great GPS unit and you can even do some geocaching with it.

Kate 01-06-2011 01:25 PM

I got it primarily for navigation and geocaching.
For geocaching, it is the bomb!
Upload straight into it. with the street maps, it will take you right to them, has a camera, you upload your trail notes directly to GC.com for logging, it has ALL of the cache info that you want in it.. yea, it's one of my mostest favoritest toys!

Raidue 01-06-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate
@deepblurubi - see my post above.

As far as using a "phone" for a GPS, I Geocache with friends who use their phones.
Although they work well MOST of the time, I have had many occasions where they have lost service, thereby losing their navigational ability as well. So I hand them my GPS, which is still working.

Just food for thought

X2. I was using my iPhone as well but the coverage is so weak that it becomes useless. I have tried a couple of back country apps but the maps they use are so out dated that they are pretty useless as well.

I was looking at the Oregon 450. I have an old etrex that I could use as a hand held. So if i go for a hike or whatnot i can at least find my way back to my jeep. Would it be more beneficial to run s larger screened NUVI for strictly in jeep use?

Helmgrath 01-06-2011 03:05 PM

I use my iPhone 4 for geocaching and wheeling, however I agree that in the deep woods the phone kicks out sometimes which is why I am looking for a good standalone gps as well. Oh and p.s. Geocaching is "da bomb".... Reason I bought my jeep.

carnut08 01-06-2011 03:07 PM

I'm using a Garmin Nuvi 5000 and it runs the Garmin TOPO U.S. 24K topo maps just fine. The latest firmware is required and is free from Garmin if the unit you get doesn't already have it.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...inDisplay2.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...minDisplay.jpg

This is a discontinued model, but you can find it on the Internet for only about $200. It has a large screen that is a little over 5", which is nice.

You will need an external antenna, though. The internal antenna of this unit is very weak.

The external antenna I use just sits on my dash and works fine. It cost about $25. It's a Garmin GA25 MCX.

NewYJOwner 01-06-2011 04:34 PM

I have the Garmin GPSMap 60CSX, I went with that one for the portability, I use it on my quad with VVMapping and also can run TOPO maps on it. A ram mount makes it easy to swap from the Jeep to the Quad to handheld for walking trails. I have a couple of the micro SD cards loaded with whatever i may be doing with it, so it's just a matter of popping in the desired card.

ColdSRT 01-06-2011 04:56 PM

I run an iPhone 4 for geocaching and trail marking. Pick up a few good apps and it is the business. The geocaching app works well until you lose service. What I do that works really well is preload maps into my other gps apps for where I will be and all surrounding areas(app has a large cache) and I never lose any ability even when I lose service as gps still works. I even preload caches in the area so I can track them down with no cell service outside the geocaching app.

This really can be a spendy way to go but if you already have a smartphone it is somewhat redundant to buy a standalone gps. However I hear they do have slightly better accuracy.

Raidue 01-06-2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdSRT
I run an iPhone 4 for geocaching and trail marking. Pick up a few good apps and it is the business. The geocaching app works well until you lose service. What I do that works really well is preload maps into my other gps apps for where I will be and all surrounding areas(app has a large cache) and I never lose any ability even when I lose service as gps still works. I even preload caches in the area so I can track them down with no cell service outside the geocaching app.

This really can be a spendy way to go but if you already have a smartphone it is somewhat redundant to buy a standalone gps. However I hear they do have slightly better accuracy.

Is that an iPhone app that you can cache maps in advance? If so I would be interested in the name. That could be an option. :)

JeeperJake 01-06-2011 10:22 PM

I've had a Garmin nuvi 650W for several years. Don't know if it does topos but it got me from the Pacific NW to Tampa & back in good order, with only 1 or 2 directional flukes per day.

It mounts a variety of ways, wide screen is good with 3D, lots of features, and you can stick it in your pocket for walking around town. Haven't done any trails though.

Good luck, there's a TON of choices out there.

ColdSRT 01-06-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raidue

Is that an iPhone app that you can cache maps in advance? If so I would be interested in the name. That could be an option. :)

Yes. Many gps apps do this. I prefer motion x gps. It works well with loading up geocaches for me. I record our trail runs so I can track where we have been and see stats for the run like realtime altitude and speed. Neat little app.

There are map packs you can download but I found what I need free. In motion x there are certain map types that you can cache. What I do is basically scout out the run I'm planning and while I'm at home I will load those maps and a certain distance past that in a couple hundred mile radius. That way I'm covered. Has not let me down yet.

Raidue 01-24-2011 09:15 PM

Anyone running a Garmin Nuvi 550? I pretty much have it narrowed down to that unit or the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. :)

CRNA 01-24-2011 09:29 PM

I used to have a Garmin c320 for the auto. Now that I have a Droid 2, there is no comparison. The Droid is far better than the Garmin unit was. Locks on within seconds, very accurate, and uses Google maps, which I find to be much more accurate than the Garmin maps, update continuously, and they're FREE!. The interface between the phone and the navigation is also much better; you can speak destinations, use names and addresses with minimal information and the phone will suggest if you are close, an almost unlimited amount of POI's, etc. Both of our Garmin auto GPS units are now ready for the trash.

Raidue 01-24-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRNA
I used to have a Garmin c320 for the auto. Now that I have a Droid 2, there is no comparison. The Droid is far better than the Garmin unit was. Locks on within seconds, very accurate, and uses Google maps, which I find to be much more accurate than the Garmin maps, update continuously, and they're FREE!. The interface between the phone and the navigation is also much better; you can speak destinations, use names and addresses with minimal information and the phone will suggest if you are close, an almost unlimited amount of POI's, etc. Both of our Garmin auto GPS units are now ready for the trash.

My main problem is that the 3G cell coverage is so spotty that I lose the ability to update the maps using google maps.

That is one of the primary reasons I think I have to get a dedicated GPS for offloading.

carnut08 01-25-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raidue (Post 1012075)
My main problem is that the 3G cell coverage is so spotty that I lose the ability to update the maps using google maps.

That is one of the primary reasons I think I have to get a dedicated GPS for offloading.

That's especially true out West. Smart phones are great for city folks, but they're the pits in the boonies....where Jeepers are likely to be found.

rics1997 01-25-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 964367)
If you have or can get one of the larger screen Android phones and car docking station, that would be a good option. On my Droid X, I use Backcountry Navigator software with pre-downloaded maps for trail navigation, and the included Google Navigation software for street navigation. Because I also happen to have a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (which I initially bought for hiking), I also use that for trail navigation in addition to the phone. I have one device zoomed in and the other zoomed out, so I have both views at the same time.

I use the same with my droid X and the windshield mount's face sits perfect in my Daystar. But I don't use the Garmin but the droid works fine for my needs

yomondo 01-25-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnut08 (Post 1012809)
That's especially true out West. Smart phones are great for city folks, but they're the pits in the boonies....where Jeepers are likely to be found.

I use Backcountry Navigator software on my Android phone. I can pre-load maps, waypoints and GPS tracks to the phone, then it works just like a dedicated GPS device out in the boonies. Only thing is that the battery will run down quickly if not plugged in, which is why I wouldn't use it for hiking, but it works great for offroading.

CRNA 01-25-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raidue (Post 1012075)
My main problem is that the 3G cell coverage is so spotty that I lose the ability to update the maps using google maps.

That is one of the primary reasons I think I have to get a dedicated GPS for offloading.

I live in a rural area, and don't always have 3G, and mine works fine. As long as I have the dedicated GPS on and don't use the 3G network for location determination.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.