Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Update - My Hardtop Damage (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/update-my-hardtop-damage-746914.html)

vertical horizons 06-11-2014 06:33 PM

These 2 pictures show the damage to my hardtop. (We dropped it this weekend, trying to put it back onto my jeep. I am not familiar with fiberglass. Is this repairable? Will the damage begin to spread as I drive, or is this the extent of the damage? So far, no leaks when it rains.

Indy49 06-12-2014 06:08 PM

I'm no expert on fiberglass, but from my experience, even broken fiberglass is pretty strong. It doesn't tear very easily. You should be ok unless both window hinges are broken, then I would worry about the back window falling off., (your picture shows the same hinge in both)

vertical horizons 06-12-2014 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy49 (Post 11284114)
... your picture shows the same hinge in both)

I know. On one of them, I showed a close-up. The other hinge has no damage at all.

Kota7x 06-12-2014 09:10 PM

I think you will be fine. I backed my Dads Jeep into the back of the garage with the HT window open and did some damage like that. Put some bondo over it, and it hasnt given trouble for 3 years.

vertical horizons 06-12-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kota7x (Post 11288466)
... Put some bondo over it, and it hasnt given trouble for 3 years.

The same sort of bondo that they use on cars?

krisbman 06-12-2014 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertical horizons (Post 11288810)
The same sort of bondo that they use on cars?

No, Bondo wont fix that, neither will conventional long strand glass. Jeep tops are SMC, Sheet Mold Compound. It needs to be repaired with a two part epoxy product such as Fusor T-21. It needs to be ground out so no loose strands are showing on both sides then a fiber tape backing a the epoxy product applied to the back then let dried and epoxy product applied to the front

vertical horizons 06-12-2014 11:32 PM

Thanks, Krisbman.
That helps a lot.
That will get me started in the right direction.

jefferyfghezzi 06-13-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisbman (Post 11291266)
No, Bondo wont fix that, neither will conventional long strand glass. Jeep tops are SMC, Sheet Mold Compound. It needs to be repaired with a two part epoxy product such as Fusor T-21. It needs to be ground out so no loose strands are showing on both sides then a fiber tape backing a the epoxy product applied to the back then let dried and epoxy product applied to the front

X2 If you want to have it fixed take it to a boat dealer or a marina who does fiberglass repair.

krisbman 06-13-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferyfghezzi (Post 11297697)
X2 If you want to have it fixed take it to a boat dealer or a marina who does fiberglass repair.

Any competent body shop will repair it. Dont bother with a boat dealer

vertical horizons 07-07-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisbman (Post 11297937)
Any competent body shop will repair it. Dont bother with a boat dealer

Will a body shop know the proper way to repair a SMC hardtop?
I mean, how many cars are made out of SMC material?

krisbman 07-07-2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertical horizons (Post 11814953)
Will a body shop know the proper way to repair a SMC hardtop? I mean, how many cars are made out of SMC material?

Yes. They will know how to repair smc. Hoods, liftgates, etc. Are made of it as are corvettes and just about every other production car this is "Glass" Made after the 80's

vertical horizons 07-07-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisbman (Post 11815097)
Yes. They will know how to repair smc. Hoods, liftgates, etc. Are made of it as are corvettes and just about every other production car this is "Glass" Made after the 80's

Cool.
You learn something new every day.

vertical horizons 07-08-2014 05:19 PM

The main issue holding me back from attempting to repair the damage is the fact that the damage is right there, where the hinge bolts to the rear window. If it were just a crack somewhere else on the hard top, that would be a different story.

But, being a structural point, I'm worried that my repair wouldn't hold up.

I want to throw an idea at you guys, to get your opinion ...

I found a broken hardtop, that still has the rear side intact. (The left side window & framework around that window is gone.) Instead of trying to repair the damage to the hinge area, I am thinking of taking that other broken hardtop, and cutting out the portion that you see in the photo (this isn't the actual hardtop, of course).

Then, cut out the same area on my hardtop. then, basically, the repair would be made by attaching that portion from the other hardtop to mine.

That way, I am not doing any kind of repair to the hinge area. Just bypassing the hinge area.

Opinions?

krisbman 07-08-2014 05:38 PM

Thats a huge repair. Is go beyond the hinge definetely but only half way

vertical horizons 07-08-2014 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisbman (Post 11830441)
Thats a huge repair. Is go beyond the hinge definetely but only half way

???

vertical horizons 07-08-2014 06:02 PM

I'm guessing that you are saying to go passed the hinge, but only half-way.

krisbman 07-08-2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertical horizons (Post 11831041)
I'm guessing that you are saying to go passed the hinge, but only half-way.

Yeah