Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Taking the hard top off ;) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/taking-the-hard-top-off-74834.html)

Sekstrand3 01-06-2011 02:58 PM

Taking the hard top off ;)

So I'm pretty sure I'm gonna take off my hard top today :) first time ever I will be in a jeep with no top. So I'm pretty stoked!!

I have one question! When storing the hard top I was gonna lay down a comforter (like the heavy blanket on a bed) and then cover it with another blanket my question is how should I put it on the ground? Like in what position? Should it be just how it is when sitting on the jeep?

Peepers 01-06-2011 03:01 PM

Soft top owner speaking, but I would assume it should be fine if you set it down the same way as it is on the jeep. Blankets under = good. Over? its up to you.

I know a lot of people have hanging mounts so setting it down should be fine

Darnell 01-06-2011 03:15 PM

Just don't leave it behind your shed next to a wood pile and let it get infested with spiders or you'll have a few surprises while driving come October.

I speak from experience.

Ray - San Jose 01-06-2011 03:46 PM

I have used a couple 2x4's, and just set it on the ground like it would sit on the Jeep. Cover with a tarp instead of a blanket. Now I use a cart that allows me to stand it straight up and wheel it around. Much nicer.

HOSS Cart

JDsDream 01-06-2011 03:52 PM

Try to store it as level as you can and definitely cover it if you will be leaving it outside in the sun to prevent it from warping.

rubicon hobby 01-06-2011 04:47 PM

I take mine off all the time and I built a carry cart with casters on it so I can move it around the garage I store mine in the same position it is on the Jeep but they sell stands that allow you to put it on end I worry about the rear window on end so I let it down on to the cart. One note though after all the bolts are out and the wiring for the rear wiper is disconnected go around and push up on the top to kinda break it loose from the body that way when you lift it you know it will come up enjoy

sevenservices 01-06-2011 04:53 PM

...and don't put it to close to the road! You might come home to no top to put back on ;)

Neil F. 01-06-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDsDream (Post 970480)
Try to store it as level as you can and definitely cover it if you will be leaving it outside in the sun to prevent it from warping.

Mine has sat outside in the sun for multiple summers.

prettyboytoys 01-06-2011 05:19 PM

I like the lift system from above using block and tackle. havnt set one up yet but looks like it makes it easy.

burton160w 01-06-2011 05:39 PM

Seriously, if you've got a lot of insects, buying two or three packages of saran wrap and wrapping it up isn't all that a bad idea. Having had mice and spiders in mine, they're not fun to try and get out, especially after you have already reinstalled it.

Bruck 01-06-2011 06:12 PM

After reading all of this I have another idea. Wrap it up in Christmas wrapping paper (tarp quality of course) with a nice bow and open it on Christmas!!:D

alstjruby03 01-07-2011 11:14 AM

hoss cart x2. haven't had my hard top on for three years but it looks good in my garage.

Atthehop 01-07-2011 11:55 AM

Sell it then you never have to worry about storing it.

gordo2050 01-07-2011 01:10 PM

I'm interested if your gonna sell it. Wife complaining soft top "on my jeep" too noisy

Ageless Stranger 01-07-2011 01:19 PM

I have a hard top hoist in my shop. Makes it a one man job. :cool: Enjoy being topless. :D