Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/)
-   -   Power Windows - Gremlin (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/power-windows-gremlin-75207.html)

Bazzer 01-09-2011 04:06 PM

Power Windows - Gremlin

The other day my wife went to open the passenger side window and the switch never operated. So I gave the drivers side switch a toggle and this window never operated either.

I checked the fuse in the fusebox under the hood and this was fine, i.e. it hadn't blown. Checked the door electrical connections and all seemed good. Turned the ignition back on and the windows worked fine. :confused:

Anybody else had this and if so, what was the cause?

SLIM_SNOOPY 01-09-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazzer (Post 977533)
The other day my wife went to open the passenger side window and the switch never operated. So I gave the drivers side switch a toggle and this window never operated either.

I checked the fuse in the fusebox under the hood and this was fine, i.e. it hadn't blown. Checked the door electrical connections and all seemed good. Turned the ignition back on and the windows worked fine. :confused:

Anybody else had this and if so, what was the cause?

It can be many things , like the battery or the Jeep OBD-II got stuck in a phase loop , causing it to lock up, which is the reason why it worked after you restarted the Jeep. This time it was the windows next time might be something else, this is how our Jeep's computer gets affected with voltage spikes and or CAN BUS and or OBD-II Errors. If the battery is the stock battery , I suggest you replace it,, what you most likely expierenced is the starting signs of the battery going south , maybe a bad cell in the battery. The stock battery is known to fail pre-maturely. sometimes there is enough power for all the lighting and accessories , but not enough for the engines ECU to start, and prohibiting the engine to turn over.

:cool: SLIM

Bazzer 01-10-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLIM_SNOOPY (Post 977726)
It can be many things , like the battery or the Jeep OBD-II got stuck in a phase loop , causing it to lock up, which is the reason why it worked after you restarted the Jeep. This time it was the windows next time might be something else, this is how our Jeep's computer gets affected with voltage spikes and or CAN BUS and or OBD-II Errors. If the battery is the stock battery , I suggest you replace it,, what you most likely expierenced is the starting signs of the battery going south , maybe a bad cell in the battery. The stock battery is known to fail pre-maturely. sometimes there is enough power for all the lighting and accessories , but not enough for the engines ECU to start, and prohibiting the engine to turn over.

Thanks Slim. Perhaps the cold weather recently has affected the battery. As far as I am aware this is the stock battery although the Jeep is only 2.5 years old.

SLIM_SNOOPY 01-10-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazzer (Post 979760)
Thanks Slim. Perhaps the cold weather recently has affected the battery. As far as I am aware this is the stock battery although the Jeep is only 2.5 years old.

Oh yeah,, If you got 2.5 years out of the stock battery , consider yourself one of the lucky ones. ...lol:D

FalconRods 02-17-2011 02:10 PM

Same thing happened with my windows this morning (10 Rubicon). Cranked fine and drove maybe a mile and tried to "crack" the window. Wouldn't function - tried other side - no function. Drove to work and while in the parking lot, turned off and then restarted vehicle. Both operated fine - wierd.

Bazzer 02-17-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconRods (Post 1062404)
Same thing happened with my windows this morning (10 Rubicon). Cranked fine and drove maybe a mile and tried to "crack" the window. Wouldn't function - tried other side - no function. Drove to work and while in the parking lot, turned off and then restarted vehicle. Both operated fine - wierd.

Mine hasn't done this since the first time it happened. This must be one for Mulder and Scully.

kik 02-17-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLIM_SNOOPY (Post 979783)
Oh yeah,, If you got 2.5 years out of the stock battery , consider yourself one of the lucky ones. ...lol:D

X2 on this one. I would replace it now. I think I'm going with either an Odyssey or Sears Die Hard Platinum, haven't decided yet.