Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   CJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/)
-   -   should i just run away?!?!?!? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/should-i-just-run-away-7527.html)

activelydying 04-22-2007 09:50 AM

should i just run away?!?!?!?

on the way to work today i saw someone selling a 65 cj5. called the guy and he said he wanted 1500, but could go lower. it's going to need a new head gasket and has about 190,000 miles. should i even consider this or just run away?

Odhinn 04-22-2007 10:06 AM

Hows the body tub and frame look? Head gaskets are easy if the block and head/heads are in good shape. For that price, I would consider it.

amerijeep 04-22-2007 10:31 AM

Need more info.

activelydying 04-22-2007 10:31 AM

the body has some bubbles starting to form and the frame didn't look to bad. another question is: it looks like its an automatic. is that possible

Odhinn 04-22-2007 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by activelydying (Post 74337)
the body has some bubbles starting to form and the frame didn't look to bad. another question is: it looks like its an automatic. is that possible

Anything is possible. If I were you I would go over it with a fine tooth comb ( axles, Trans, TC). there is access to everything to rebuild one of those, just depends on what you are willing to spend. Rock crawler, 350, Dana 60's Tube frame. Everything has potential But thats just me:D

activelydying 04-22-2007 10:37 AM

i just called the guy to see what engine is in it. it's a 4 cylinder and i was wrong about the miles, it has about 120,000. it looks like it has 33s on it. i'm not sure if i want to go the 4 cylinder route.

debruins 04-22-2007 04:22 PM

a four cylinder would not have the automatic unless it was modified, and then i doubt it would have very good performance.
It probably does have 33's because it would only need 1" of lift to fit them, and if it looks good it is probably an okay deal

I got my running 55 needing only a battery for 500, It has a lot of rust on the tub, but not the frame, so for a good tub and frame and a almost running engine it is okay, If you really want to get into CJ's then look through craigslist and other places online and find a really good deal. Waiting is key when you want an older car
It will also take a lot more to fix little problems with a Cj than a TJ. Everything is rusted together and all parts are specialty parts.

also once you get the Cj the forum at ECJ5 will be very helpful
Early CJ5.com - A Webpage for Classic Jeeps

Joes 04-22-2007 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by activelydying (Post 74331)
on the way to work today i saw someone selling a 65 cj5. called the guy and he said he wanted 1500, but could go lower. it's going to need a new head gasket and has about 190,000 miles. should i even consider this or just run away?

a Jeep for $1,500 sounds good ..depends how much talent u have to transform it.

1BLKJP 04-23-2007 03:37 AM

A 65 for 1500 bucks would sound way good out here. That year would be exempt from emissions so we could do whatever the hell we wanted to it. :D

DownandDirty 04-23-2007 09:07 AM

$1500 sounds high to me for a 4cyl CJ5. I would definitely comb the frame over. Pay special attention to the inside of the frame and the structual integrity of the body mounts and spring mounts.

Remember that a jeep that runs and drives is worth more than one that doesn't when you negotiate.

With out it running keep in mind that he stated it needed a head gasket so be prepared for a rebuild or swap. You also can't test the drivetrain or steering so that is a definite bargaining tool if you are seriously interested.

Good Luck,
DD

debruins 04-23-2007 06:54 PM

well i would test the steering and brakes by pushing it and turning the wheel, and then hopping in and braking, you dont want to pay money to finally fix the engine and then find out the steering is no good and the brakes are no good. Or you could use it as a bargaining chip and deduct more from the price. again around 1000 is a good price. but any higher for something that you havent seen run is not a good idea.