Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Rustys Offroad 4" susp. lift kit? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/rustys-offroad-4-susp-lift-kit-75283.html)

rd-wrangler 01-10-2011 08:02 AM

Rustys Offroad 4" susp. lift kit?

hey just wondering if anyone runs this kit or has run this kit in the past...tried searching through the yj forums but i really couldnt find anything...mostly tj owners run these kits.

just want to know the quality, ease of installation, wear of springs/parts over a time period, etc.

thanks

rd-wrangler 01-11-2011 08:45 AM

anybody?

rd-wrangler 01-12-2011 11:04 AM

wow i guess no one is running this kit huh? this makes me want to buy it just to be the first one lol.

Ibuildembig 01-12-2011 11:07 AM

There's really not alot of difference in kits for YJ's other than the spring rates and I seriously doubt that every company makes their own springs. IMO a springover is the only way to do a YJ, but you have to be able to weld to do that

rd-wrangler 01-12-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 984258)
There's really not alot of difference in kits for YJ's other than the spring rates and I seriously doubt that every company makes their own springs. IMO a springover is the only way to do a YJ, but you have to be able to weld to do that

thats very true. good point. yeah not much of a welder...so thats out of the question.

i am assuming 5-leaf military wrapped springs are better than good quality?

Ibuildembig 01-12-2011 11:18 AM

Its more preference than anything....in the pickup truck world, more springs equals more load capactity, which also equals worse ride. Most normal YJ's have a 5 leaf rear and a 4 leaf front spring.

rd-wrangler 01-12-2011 11:28 AM

ooo ok. yeah a lot of it does have to do with personal preferences, like everything else in this world hahha.

i was looking between the rustys kit and rough country kit. but i guess ill end up going with the rough country kit like most people on this forum do haha. i was just curious on the quality and reviews of people who might be running the rustys kit. but i guess im SOL haha.

Ibuildembig 01-12-2011 11:31 AM

Id say he makes a nice kit, I rarely hear of anyone not liking their stuff.

rd-wrangler 01-12-2011 11:32 AM

let me ask you something else...your personal preference of course....what would be better brake relocation brakets or brake extensions?

Ibuildembig 01-12-2011 11:34 AM

I always replace the whole line from the mount on the frame to the caliper

rd-wrangler 01-12-2011 11:38 AM

hmmm ok thanks

cgborders 01-12-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 984312)
I always replace the whole line from the mount on the frame to the caliper

Do you bend new steel lines, or use flex braided stainless lines?

hannahuffster 01-12-2011 08:03 PM

hes talkin new, longer soft lines...

PUMPJUNKY 01-14-2011 08:46 PM

I have a rustys 4" on my 93 but it was already on the jeep when i bought it.

GrNMoNsTr--93YJ 01-15-2011 01:36 AM

I'm in the same boat as pumpjunky. already had the kit on when I purchased the Jeep. Leaf springs make for one wicked bumpy ride as it is but as far as flex in the shocks and performance on and off road i haven't had too many complaints. It wasn't maintained by the PO so if you keep the shocks greased and the leafs free of mud and debris its a decent kit. I'm partial to RC because I ran their 6 inch lift on my old 96 F150 and had zero complaints with it. But to each his own I guess. Whichever fits your budget and seems good enough to you. Sorry for rambling. haha. Just had a long night of wheelin.