Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Last Chance Canyon Saturday 1/15? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/last-chance-canyon-saturday-1-15-a-75427.html)

BeantownR6 01-11-2011 11:57 AM

Last Chance Canyon Saturday 1/15?
 
Just kinda a feeler right now. Im gonna have 35s put on tonight and will be wanting to test them out this weekend! I also have family in town and was going to go on the superstition weekend thing but not going to do now.

I want to sneak away saturday and do an early run out to last chance canyon. I'm not planning on going to Burro Schmidt tunnel, just run the trail. Ive been there once. anyone interested?

530ktm 01-11-2011 12:28 PM

Sounds like fun but I have basketball for my son that day and it is just a little too far away for a quick run. I have not even removed the mud from the Jeep from Sunday yet. Not sure what gearing you are running now but do you think a change may be coming when you put those big 35's on? I run 4.56 gears now on 33's and it is perfect.

Cons_Table 01-11-2011 12:32 PM

I dont THINK I have anything going on this weekend, so I may be down for this. Do you have any times? I also believe nightmare gulch may be open...

BeantownR6 01-11-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 530ktm (Post 981955)
Sounds like fun but I have basketball for my son that day and it is just a little too far away for a quick run. I have not even removed the mud from the Jeep from Sunday yet. Not sure what gearing you are running now but do you think a change may be coming when you put those big 35's on? I run 4.56 gears now on 33's and it is perfect.

The rubi has 4.11 gears and what ive read you can run 35s ok...and having a stick helps. ill just have to drive it and see.

i still have the mud on my jeep too from sunday!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 981963)
I dont THINK I have anything going on this weekend, so I may be down for this. Do you have any times? I also believe nightmare gulch may be open...

maybee meet around 8-9ish and we could grab breakfast or not.

whats nightmare gulch like, never been?

Cons_Table 01-11-2011 12:55 PM

Breakfast might be kind of out of the way for us, I live in ridgecrest, which is only like 20 minutes away from last chance. Im assuming you will be coming through mojave? Nightmare is pretty technical but a lot of fun, I have only been once. I made it through it without much issue on 32s with no lockers.

BeantownR6 01-11-2011 01:59 PM

its about a 2 hr drive for me and doing both would probably too long. id like to just hit up last chance, it was the first triail i did stock and would like to do it again with the new lift and tires. is NG any more of a challenge than last chance?

Cons_Table 01-11-2011 03:19 PM

Its a little more challenging than last chance, but not bad at all. I am ok with just doing last chance though if you feel nightmare may make things too long. Either way, if you change your mind, nightmare can be accessed from last chance.

JRickW 01-11-2011 03:56 PM

Hey I might be in, although if I am going that far I would like to do both trails if anyone else is up for that.

Beantown, now you're getting 35's! You piss me off:)

Cons_Table 01-11-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRickW (Post 982400)
Hey I might be in, although if I am going that far I would like to do both trails if anyone else is up for that.

Beantown, now you're getting 35's! You piss me off:)

Im down for both. Too bad I wont have my 35s yet ;) should be closer to the end of the month before those are on

yomondo 01-11-2011 05:05 PM

Nightmare Gulch is only open the second half of the month, so it might not be open on the 15th, but it should be open on Sunday the 16th.

I might be bailing on the Superstition Mt. run because I have things to do this weekend, but I might want to break away to do this. I gotta test out my new 35's too.

Cons_Table 01-11-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 982576)
Nightmare Gulch is only open the second half of the month, so it might not be open on the 15th, but it should be open on Sunday the 16th.

I might be bailing on the Superstition Mt. run because I have things to do this weekend, but I might want to break away to do this. I gotta test out my new 35's too.

Ya its hard to say if it is open or not. The last time I went it was the second half of the month, and we went through nightmare...accessed it from last chance (running it from east to west) but the entrance/exit gate on the other side of nightmare was closed...so we ran the whole trail and came to a locked gate...not quite sure why this was.

BeantownR6 01-11-2011 06:23 PM

LOL @ Rick!!!

ok lets do them both if NG is open, can you call a ranger station or something to find out?

Cons Table, did you have to do the trail back to get out since the gate was locked?

Cons_Table 01-11-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeantownR6
LOL @ Rick!!!

ok lets do them both if NG is open, can you call a ranger station or something to find out?

Cons Table, did you have to do the trail back to get out since the gate was locked?

No we ended up just driving around it. We cut across some land and hopped back onto the dirt road. The blm was lazy and didn't come out and open the gate like I'm assuming they r supposed to

BeantownR6 01-11-2011 10:38 PM

ok got the 35s on and lovin them im so stoked and ready to go Saturday now. hows 9am sound at last chance trail head then head to NG?

JRickW 01-11-2011 11:38 PM

Good for me. Do you have the coordinates of the trailhead? Any word on whether NG is open?

BeantownR6 01-11-2011 11:42 PM

I guess we will have to check about ng. I remember where the trail head is but dont have the coordinates. I think yomondo does.

yomondo 01-12-2011 12:35 AM

The Last Chance Canyon trailhead is at
N35 21.735 W117 53.904
It's on the left (north side), 6 miles after turning onto Redrock Randsburg Road from the 14.

The turnoff from Last Chance Canyon to Nightmare Gulch is at
N35 24.699 W117 55.640
Make a sharp left here. It's right after Cudahy Camp, where we stopped for lunch last time, and just before the steep hill climb. If you don't want to pass up the hill climb (my favorite part of Last Chance Canyon), do the hill climb then turn around and return to this point to Nightmare Gulch.

And to find out if Nightmare Gulch will be open, call the Mojave Desert Information Center at 661-942-0662.

BeantownR6 01-12-2011 08:27 AM

Hmmm I can't seem to figure out how to edit my first post I was going to get a list started.

Meeting Spot
Meet at the trail head at 9am Saturday 1/15
N35 21.735 W117 53.904
It's on the left (north side), 6 miles after turning onto Redrock Randsburg Road from the 14.


The Trails
We will head through last chance canyon and stop for lunch at Cudahy before getting to the end of last chance. We can do the last obstacle, turn around and do Nightmare Gulch pending its open.

The turnoff from Last Chance Canyon to Nightmare Gulch is at
N35 24.699 W117 55.640
Make a sharp left here. It's right after Cudahy Camp


What to Bring
Water, lunch, CB radio, recovery gear (im guilty of not having any yet but looking at stuff to get)

Also if anyone wants to lead the group feel free to speak up, I feel im not experienced enough for this, if we get a good group going.

Whos Going
1. Beantown
2. Rick

Lets get the list growing!

Here are some pictures and vids from the last time we went in october
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/las...a-63313-3.html

Cons_Table 01-12-2011 08:49 AM

Im in!

BeantownR6 01-12-2011 09:11 AM

Whos Going
1. Beantown
2. Rick
3. Cons Table

yomondo 01-12-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeantownR6 (Post 983964)
The turnoff from Last Chance Canyon to Nightmare Gulch is at
N35 24.699 W117 55.640
Make a sharp left here.

After making the above turnoff from Last Chance Canyon, you'll get to an intersection in a little bit, right here
N35 24.221 W117 56.446
Go straight here and head south. This is where the Nightmare Gulch trail actually starts. If you were to turn right at this intersection, you'd be on the Opal Canyon trail, which is pretty easy and takes you back out to the 14. This would be your quickest way out if Nightmare Gulch is closed.

Here's a GPS track from when I ran Opal Canyon to Nightmare Gulch a year ago.
Opal Canyon to Nightmare Gulch - EveryTrail

Oh, and I'm a "strong maybe" for this run.

yomondo 01-12-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 983736)
to find out if Nightmare Gulch will be open, call the Mojave Desert Information Center at 661-942-0662.

I called the above number, and a lady told me to call 571-297-9389, which I did and the guy who answered sounded like he just woke up. He said he has no idea if Nightmare Gulch will be open this weekend, and to call back this weekend. Our tax dollars hard at work right there.

Cons_Table 01-12-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 984335)
I called the above number, and a lady told me to call 571-297-9389, which I did and the guy who answered sounded like he just woke up. He said he has no idea if Nightmare Gulch will be open this weekend, and to call back this weekend. Our tax dollars hard at work right there.

It was odd, when I went through my first time there was no gate when entering from last chance canyon, so you dont even know if it is open or not until you reach the gate at the end of the trail...even then this gate wasnt even open when it was supposed to be. Do you think BLM could keep up with us cruising through there ;) ha jk

yomondo 01-12-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 984347)
when I went through my first time there was no gate when entering from last chance canyon

Yah, I don't remember seeing any gate here either. No gate, no sign....if confronted by a ranger, you could always plead ignorance due to the lack of such indicators.

Cons_Table 01-12-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 984364)
Yah, I don't remember seeing any gate here either. No gate, no sign....if confronted by a ranger, you could always plead ignorance due to the lack of such indicators.

These are kind of my thoughts. I have seen mixed answers online as far as when it is open. Some people say the 15th til the end of the month and others just say the last half of the month...but I dont think there is an issue with going through there with it being the 15th and being within the allowed months.

yomondo 01-12-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeantownR6 (Post 983964)
Hmmm I can't seem to figure out how to edit my first post I was going to get a list started.

Unlike at other forums, you can only edit a post here up to I think 15 minutes after posting. After that it's engraved in stone (unless an admin intervenes).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 984384)
These are kind of my thoughts. I have seen mixed answers online as far as when it is open. Some people say the 15th til the end of the month and others just say the last half of the month...but I dont think there is an issue with going through there with it being the 15th and being within the allowed months.

Sounds good to me.

JRickW 01-12-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeantownR6 (Post 983964)
Also if anyone wants to lead the group feel free to speak up, I feel im not experienced enough for this, if we get a good group going.

Jeez, with 35's what experience do you need? Just point it and go! No need to pick a finely crafted line through the obstacle. Unlike me, where skill and cunning is the only way to make it through unscathed.

yomondo 01-12-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRickW (Post 984662)
Jeez, with 35's what experience do you need? Just point it and go! No need to pick a finely crafted line through the obstacle. Unlike me, where skill and cunning is the only way to make it through unscathed.

Too bad this forum doesn't have the violin player emoticon. :rofl:;)

JRickW 01-12-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 984699)
Too bad this forum doesn't have the violin player emoticon. :rofl:;)

Let's just say I'm a bit jealous:D

BeantownR6 01-12-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRickW (Post 984709)
Let's just say I'm a bit jealous:D

you don't need 35s, you just punch it and go havent seen anything stand in your way lol :punk:

i don't want to lead a big group yet, if there were alot of people going...i don't have your cunningness:p

Whos Going
1. Beantown
2. Rick
3. Cons Table
4. Yomondo (Strong Maybee)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.