Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   What do you think? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/what-do-you-think-75558.html)

pat@fieldsauto.com 01-12-2011 02:00 PM

What do you think?

5 Attachment(s)
Have a company that makes these and wanted to see what the overall opinion is. Please give me some comments.

pat@fieldsauto.com 01-12-2011 02:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
a couple more pics

jrohan07 01-12-2011 02:06 PM

Looks good...what is it exactly...sun roof....brand and how much.

MTH 01-12-2011 02:10 PM

Hard to tell what I'm looking at here . . . . Looks like they're glass hardtop panels? For the freedom top? Perhaps some bigger pics?

If they're glass freedom top panels, it's definitely a cool idea. So long as they were top flight quality, I'd consider them if I already had a freedom top. Could be a great non-warm weather option.

However, I'm immediately concerned about their resistance to scratches and leaks. Are they glass or plastic?

JIMBOX 01-12-2011 02:12 PM

:D Sorry, pics aren't that good, can't get enough detail !!

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

pat@fieldsauto.com 01-12-2011 02:33 PM

I'll get some better pics, the guy came here with them and then took them with.

The material is supposedly the same stuff Harley uses for their windshields. It is for a freedom top. So I would guess some sort of plexiglass? They are smoke color and scratch resistant. I did take a hammer to them as the guy with them told me I could. My personal opinion is they will scratch but I would think you could use like a plastx or something to buff them with. There is also some sort of snap in shade for them too.

MTH 01-12-2011 02:36 PM

If they fit right, don't leak, don't scratch, and don't have any wind noise problems beyond what would normally be expected, I think they'd be a cool addition to a freedom top. It's a wonder Jeep hasn't done it.

bflank 01-12-2011 02:37 PM

What kind of $$ are we talking about? That will have a lot to do with whether I have any interest.

JIMBOX 01-12-2011 02:39 PM

:D I think it'd be a great idea, except for initial cost and more spots for the hardtop to leak !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pato1031 (Post 984589)
I'll get some better pics, the guy came here with them and then took them with.

The material is supposedly the same stuff Harley uses for their windshields. It is for a freedom top. So I would guess some sort of plexiglass? They are smoke color and scratch resistant. I did take a hammer to them as the guy with them told me I could. My personal opinion is they will scratch but I would think you could use like a plastx or something to buff them with. There is also some sort of snap in shade for them too.

It would be great in the winter, when you have the hardtop backon--for some people, that is !!

My last corvette had the ONE PIECE LEXAN (clear tinted)hardtop--kewl and never got scratched, course I never took the vette off-road !

galaxyblur 01-12-2011 02:46 PM

As was echoed earlier, if it didn't cause further issues and was affordable, I'd totally go for it! Would it be replacing the two front panels with new ones? Or *shudder* modifying the panels I have?

kik 01-12-2011 02:50 PM

See through roof panels. Chevy did that for awhile on the Corvette and it didn't work out that well. Snap in shade seems like more of a hassle than it would be worth. I guess for some they would purchase it, but I'll pass.

pat@fieldsauto.com 01-12-2011 03:11 PM

Not going to tell you what the price is just yet! let me know what you would pay for these.

MTH 01-12-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pato1031 (Post 984657)
Not going to tell you what the price is just yet! let me know what you would pay for these.

It's only the two freedom panels, correct? Along with the "snap in shade"?

I couldn't find what a replacement set of freedom top panels go for, but a three window set of replacement soft top windows runs about $330. I think that's a reasonable metric that wouldn't send me laughing out of your dealership.

I'd argue with you though to "throw'em in for free cuz I'm such a good customer." ;)

rics1997 01-12-2011 03:46 PM

Factory front panels on Quadratic are $459 so I would say $600 but that price is pushing it IMO.

JIMBOX 01-12-2011 03:51 PM

:D I'd go $500 as long as there was no CORE USE/CHG and They were complete !!

Privateer 01-12-2011 04:05 PM

I know my wife would really enjoy these in the winter. With that said for this kind of upgrade somewhere around the $ of replacements or the mid $400 mark is all we'd be willing to spend. Awesome idea for sure :appl:

JeeperJake 01-12-2011 07:02 PM

I'm in the PNW. There's 2 conditions here:

1) if it ain't raining, I want my freedom top OFF;
2) if it is raining, I don't care to pay extra to see it come down on me;
3) how much? etc

neat idea, execution/cost is everything

KooL 01-12-2011 07:56 PM

That is a very neat idea. It'd be cool to see them in person because it's kind of hard to make out a whole lot from the pics. Kind of hard to photograph a window though I guess. haha.

Blstravler 01-12-2011 08:08 PM

I cant tell from the pics, are the panels for the front 2 and the rear? Would love that for the JKU. :D

pat@fieldsauto.com 02-03-2011 02:24 PM

here's the companies website.

JeeTops

Closer 02-03-2011 02:33 PM

I love it! Checking out the site..

RaiderRUBICON 02-03-2011 02:40 PM

I don't like the idea, I think most Jeepers are going to say things like , "should I get a new bumper or the glass on the T-tops?" or "should I get a new tires or the glass...?"

The bottom line is ,I don't think it will be high on anybody's priority list when purchasing aftermarket parts.

Also,what would be the warranty on the product??

AJ:)

jrohan07 02-03-2011 02:49 PM

I must have these...question is how much are you paying for them?

NHrubicon 02-03-2011 03:03 PM

Definitely not acrylic...or the hammer would have shattered it. Lexan (polycarbonate) is probably what they are made of. I own a graphic sign shop...and learned years ago that signs made with acrylic have a short life span-made to die young and get replaced all the time. Even freezing and getting hit can shatter them...polycarb, although more expensive...outlasts acrylic by years and years.
Looks like a neat idea...but I agree with JeeperJake...I don't want to see the rain coming down on me...would be too distracting. And my WIFE wouldn't want the ringside seating to watch lightning!

pat@fieldsauto.com 02-03-2011 04:20 PM

thanks for the input. I agree too, they want us to have a retail price of $1295.00

I think that is way out of the ball park considering they are not replacements, they take your current panels and put in the glass.

They asked me if we wanted to be a preferred dealer, I politely declined.

MTH 02-03-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat@FieldsJeep
. . . .they want us to have a retail price of $1295.00

I think that is way out of the ball park considering they are not replacements, they take your current panels and put in the glass. . . .

:eek:

jeepnpete 02-03-2011 04:45 PM

Its a skylight for a Jeep! I feel if I can't take the top off, then I don't want to look up

seadog 02-03-2011 04:52 PM

Definitely not on my "must have" list. I can better spend that money on making her trail worthy.

PecosRiver 02-03-2011 05:08 PM

Even before the price was revealed, I wasn't interested. After seeing the price, :rofl:

rics1997 02-03-2011 05:32 PM

I was interested before I heard the details. Would not even consider this especially seeing I have to use my own top. Might see the reason they would have to price it at this amount if they were providing a new top but they are off their rocker with that price and i have to risk my top.