Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   I know everyone hates "the lift kit" thread but... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/i-know-everyone-hates-the-lift-kit-thread-but-75603.html)

GoldenSahara00 01-12-2011 06:20 PM

I know everyone hates "the lift kit" thread but...

I just have a quick question. I have read up alot about lift kids and yada yada, I dont want advice on what brand or size or whatever. I just want some clarification on what all lifts you can run together. I have a 1inch (.75) coil space on front, for leveling and nothing on the rear. If I get a suspension lift, can I install it and keep the spacers or not? I know I can have a body lift and suspension, of course. If I get a body lift is a MM lift suggested? and if I get a suspension lift of around 2.5 inches, can I install that and also 1 or 2 inch spacers front and back? Whats the suggested set up of combination lifts I guess is what Im asking. I was thinking 1 in BL and MM lift, 1 in spacers and 2.5 suspension lift consisting of shocks and springs. Here: Jeep TJ Suspension Lift

Thanks for helping the noob ;)

CapnDean 01-12-2011 06:29 PM

Generally folks do not add spacer lifts to true suspension lifts. Can it be done? Sure - - but why? If you want to lift your jeep 6 inches, why wouldnt you just buy a 6" lift and be done with it? Of course you could buy a 4" lift and add 2" spacers to it...but it would only cost you more money and you would have just another thing to go awry. The body lift is seperate of course...but what you described above is that you want 3.5" of suspension lift. Get that and be done with it.

Lowering the transfer case and a motor mount lift are generally techniques for aligning your output shaft with your axle pinion - - something that you have to do when you lift youe suspension more than say 2 or 3 inches. I cant advise on a TC lower or MML because I went ahead and did the Slip Yoke Eliminator and replaced my driveshaft. That is the preferred (albeit more expensive) method of setting the proper pinion angle.

Neil F. 01-12-2011 06:55 PM

As indicated above, adding large spacer on top of a spring lift is not the best way of doing things. A loof people do level oout the fron with a small spacer. I have a 1" in front. You can keep the .75 spacers.

GoldenSahara00 01-12-2011 09:51 PM

Okay guys thanks for the answers! CapnDead I appreciate the detailed response thats just what I was looking for :) Yea I will just wait and get the SYE later on If i need it/when I go to a bigger lift. so keeping the .75s up front and adding a pair in back, along with the 2.5 and BL should be fine. The reason I didnt want to just get a six is because I know all the other stuff you need once you go over 3 or 4 inches of lift, and wasnt sure if you could avoid those by using spacers to get the height instead. Thanks for clearing that up!