Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Saw this on Quadratec..Jeep ECU Reset (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/saw-this-on-quadratec-jeep-ecu-reset-75702.html)

jrohan07 01-13-2011 03:06 PM

Saw this on Quadratec..Jeep ECU Reset

Jeep Electronic Control Unit Reset

When installing new power or performance accessories how does the computer for the Jeep know that it has a new accessory? Most of the time the computer does not. The computer would need to be reset to take full potential of the performance accessories you have added.

The Electronic Control Module, or ECU as its commonly called, stores the information for your vehicle and your driving habits in its memory. The memory is maintaned by a series of capacitors that hold a charge and maintain power for the ECU when the vehicle is turned off. The following procedure will allow you to reset the memory and allow the computer to 're-learn' how to drive by adjusting to the drivers habits and the vehicles modifications.

1. Disconnect the battery by removing the positive battery cable. Remember, the positive battery cable.

2. Ground the positive cable to the negative cable for 30 seconds to erase the electric charge in the capacitors.

3. Reconnect the positive cable to the battery.

4. Turn the key to on but do not start.

5. Turn the headlights on.

6. Turn the headlights off.

7. Turn the key off.

The ECU has now been reset to its factory settings. For the next 50 warm-up periods the ECU will re-learn the engine and driving habits for your driving conditions and the newly installed parts.

Anybody try this and did you drive like you stole it so the ECU learned your driving habits?:D

Droelle 01-13-2011 04:31 PM

I figured some one would have known something by now. I'm kinda interested in this.

Sent from my Droid using WF Access

jrohan07 01-13-2011 04:50 PM

I am going to try this on my 2008 vette and 2008 Solstice.....

daggo66 01-13-2011 06:42 PM

I don't feel too comfortable about removing the positive cable and touching it to the negative one.

pat@fieldsauto.com 01-13-2011 06:44 PM

Not sure I would trust it to work. I know when you add bluetooth the front control module interacts with the bluetooth module and the FCM has to be told the vehicle now has bluetooth. It has to be added to the build configuration via chryslers website to work properly. I asked and heard there might be some accessories that you could add by following the above sequence but was told it's a real gray area as no one here has tried it.

seadog 01-13-2011 08:04 PM

Positive to connected negative, no big deal. negative to connected positive, arc weld.

Mr. Sinister 01-13-2011 09:20 PM

this is true with any efi engine. your ecu will learn the new parameters eventually without a reset, but it will do it faster with a reset.
many new engines require a programmer or custom tune to fully maximize the new parts when you do airflow mods. the newer gm ls engines are like this.

Peepers 01-13-2011 09:30 PM

8 speed transmission behind the 6 cylinder cummins!!!

Droelle 01-13-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peepers
8 speed transmission behind the 6 cylinder cummins!!!

?????

Sent from my Droid using WF Access

Jp90Talon 01-13-2011 10:07 PM

I think he meant to reply in the "Fiat changes" thread

jrohan07 01-13-2011 10:44 PM

Peepers...was in good reading mode and you put some subliminal message in there ....haha back to reading